Bromeliad Forum
October 17, 2017, 09:44:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New To Forum......Seedling Question  (Read 670 times)
etsandsm

United States United States

« on: September 16, 2010, 04:29:51 »

Hi I am new to the forum.  I have been reading the gardenweb forum for about six months now and have learned a ton just from reading it.  I have recently planted a bunch of Ae bracteata seeds and they have pretty much all sprouted.  I was just wondering if anyone else has ever grown these from seed and if there is any variability in this species or if I should expect them all to be pretty much the same.  Thanks in advance for any input. 

dooleybugs01

Australia Australia

Bromeliads I likey but by crikey they are spiky !!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:12:07 »

Hi etsandsm,
Welcome to the forum!  I have not raised this seed but i have done so with other broms.  You will have to wait until your seedlings grow up and flower to see if they are selfings or something else.  I presume you did not do a deliberate cross with the mother plant.  It is good to take note of what else in your garden was flowering at the same time just in case they are not selfings.
Hope this helps  Wink
Dooley.
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 20:01:41 »

Ae. bracteata is a hardcore self-pollinator, so I wouldn't expect any unintentional hybrids from it.  Which form of it did you collect the seeds from, etsandsm?  I once grew out some of the red-leafed form and got some variation in the amount of red coloration in the offspring.  With the plain green form that would not be an issue.  I'd expect them to be fairly uniform, but whenever you grow from seed there can be slight variations. 

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

etsandsm

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:23:56 »

Thanks for your input.  I did not intentionally cross the plant and in fact it was already blooming when I bought it from michaels.  It is just the variegated green form.  Do you think there is any increased liklihood of getting variegated seedlings since I used variegated seed.  THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 20:12:49 »

Do you have a picture of your plant?  The pattern of variegation may help determine if you are likely to get any variegated seedlings, or whether they will be all green or all albino. 

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
etsandsm

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:50:09 »

Thanks for your help Lisa.  I will take a picture tomorrow and post it.  The plant is not albomarginated.  I remember reading a post once that you had said that albomarginated plants will produce albino offspring.  I also recently planted some Aechmea tessmannii seeds.  I have no idea if the seeds will be hybrids or not as there were lots of different aechmeas blooming where the seeds came from.  Do you know if tessmannii selfs or not or if the species is really variable like chantinii.  Thanks again for your help.
Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 14:36:02 »

I'm growing some plain old green Ae. bracteata seedlings at the moment - they are only a couple of months old but seem very hardy.

The variegated form of Ae. bracteata is called Ae. Tritone, it is a nice looking plant.

Cheers,

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: