Bromeliad Forum
January 24, 2018, 00:47:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Puya seedlings  (Read 722 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« on: April 11, 2011, 20:08:07 »

So I got a packet of seeds from a friend off of a Puya hybrid.  They didn't do any active pollination, but there was another Puya blooming that summer next to it.  I'll try to look up the names next time I visit.  But I've been closely watching this one particular seedling.  Can anyone guess which one has been holding my interest??  The color keeps getting stronger, so I have my fingers crossed!  As soon as it warms up for good I'm going to give them all a little more room.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:47:04 »

I just hope that nice red one isn't dieing. It looks to be on the edge. I've grown a few Puyas from seed and they like sun, a big pot, fertilizer and water. They will survive a small, dry pot but don't thrive.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
sdandy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:06:02 »

Nah, its been holding like that for a couple of months while still growing.  You can see the other one on the bottom-left-ish is losing its color.  I usually pot them up pretty aggressively, but at that size I'm waiting for the weather to stabilize.  Right now we keep bouncing back and forth between 80s and low 60s with nighttime temps averaging high 40s to low 50s.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

bromnut45

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: FRUIT TREES, ORNAMENTAL TREES ETC
Hobbies: PAINTING, CRAFTS, COOKING

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:10:04 »

Nice Puyas Andy, that little red one is lovely.  They are such slow growers though.  Do you fertilize them heaps?Huh

I only have one and its so slow, but I dont fertilize it so its probably growing properly.

Alfina Cheesy
sdandy

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:23 »

They definitely pick up speed Alfina.  For me terrestrials seem to give a first growth spurt and then rest for a while and then start growing again.  Sometimes that resting period seems like it lasts forever.  But then giving them lots of room, lots of light, and plenty of water they take off.  I think the terrestrials are 'programmed' to rest for their off-season as in their habitat most seem to have a wet and a dry season.  And it might also be influenced by the length of daylight.  Many of mine are on a heat mat, but they definitely grow faster during the summer than in the winter on the heat mat.  Overall, terrestrials grow faster for me than most of the Bromelioideae subfamily.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:48:00 »

Puyas seedlings grow at a good clip. I can't think of any reason to grow them hard except they do like sun.

In Oct 09, I sowed a dozen P berteroniana seeds and I gave one of the seedlings to a friend who has grown Puyas before and he immediately put it in a big pot and when I got to see it the next year it was 3 times the size of my seedlings. I've since repotted mine and I'll probably put one or two in the ground and see what happens. I'm afraid they will just be too big for my landscape but I've never really seen a picture of berteroniana that gives good scale. I also have a "high altitude", unsubscribed puya seedling that I got from Tropiflora. This one wasn't expected to do well in South Florida but mine is growing very well. Of course, I have no idea how big it gets but I might stick it in the ground in any case.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
sdandy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:20:32 »

So I got motivated to pot up some more of my Puyas who have been growing over the winter.  I had been waiting to pot up my Puya raimondii after it grew a little bit more, but my curiosity got the better of me and I pulled it out of the pot--the mix it was in was horrible!  Almost all inorganic like pumice and perlite.  No wonder it hasn't been growing (UGH!).  So it is in better media now.

But anyways...I was able to look at the parent Puya of these seedlings.  It is Puya 'Deep Purple' (Puya coerulea var. violacea x P. werneriana).  I missed taking pictures of it blooming this year, but it does have a decent reddish flush on some of the leaves right now so it definitely seems to have some tendency for red in the leaves.
Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:53:37 »

Is it more attractive in person? I grew my mirabilis in a pot and it wasn't the prettiest plant so I pushed it to the side until it flowered and now the one pup that I kept is in an out of the way place. I'm hoping berteroniana is better looking, I know it has an awesome inflorescence.

sdandy

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 03:10:52 »

Well, that is a hard question to answer.  I like Nolinas and Hechtias so I think I'm a bit out in left field for this discussion.  It works where you have the space and large mounding plants fit in.  It won't look good in the typical city lot.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 05:41:26 »

4 month old Puya mirabilis seedlings. I've thinned them twice and I guess it's time to repot a few of them.

Please register or login

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: