Bromeliad Forum
November 18, 2017, 05:44:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First bloom  (Read 1010 times)
Lisa
Global Moderator

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« on: April 11, 2011, 02:21:22 »

Some of you may remember this thread from the GW:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bromeliad/msg0114283530711.html?42

Briefly, I had pollinated Portea alatisepala with P. (now Ae.) leptantha, and was surprised at the Neo-like range of foliage colors in the seedlings.  Most of them are still growing hard in 4" pots stuck in cinderblocks, but last fall I selected 9 or 10 with the best looking foliage and potted them up in 2 gallon pots.  Of course the blast of nutrition along with the winter weather greened them all up and they put on a lot of growth.  I can't really tell what's going on with the foliage anymore, but at least it has prompted a bloom.  I'm posting this for Kerry in particular, as I know she was curious about this cross.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Please register or login

I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed.  Naturally I was hoping for the best of both parents:  the color scheme and robust appearance of alatisepala coupled with the large size and multiple branching habit of leptantha.  Instead I got just the opposite, as often happens. 

Of course this is just one seedling.  The conventional wisdom that primary hybrids are fairly uniform doesn't necessarily hold up when the two parents are so different in coloration.  It seems to me there's a lot of room for variation here, and the variable foliage colors tend to confirm that.  Hopefully I'll get blooms on some of the others this year.  If not, there's always Florel. 

Please register or login
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 00:35:40 »

Yes a bit of a dud unfortunately. The potential was there. See how the others turn out. That was a good tread in GW.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 23:20:28 »

Hi Lisa,

As you know, you win some and you lose some and I'm sure you're more than satisfied with all the winners you've had to date.

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Kerry T.

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: You mean there are other plants besides bromeliads?

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 00:43:57 »

Hi Lisa and all,

Finally returning from my correspondence hiatus. Thanks for showing the first flowering of your xPortemea, Lisa. Oh well - maybe not the impressive inflo that you were hoping for, but not too bad either. A dud? - nah! The foliage colours with random splashes/markings certainly contribute to a showy and distinctive hybrid. Considering the majority of their life is in a non-blooming state, I still love this bigeneric of yours - and the inflo is not less impressive than many Aechmea around the brom traps. As you say, maybe some of the other seedlings will develop a larger and more colourful inflo, but either way I'd be happy to grow one of these in pride of place in my garden. I would also enjoy quizzing visitors on its genus/nothogenus!

K   
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:07:21 »

Thanks, Kerry.  I don't think it's a "dud" either, just not all that I'd hoped.  The bloom is at least as good as Ae. J. C. Superstar, which admittedly is grown more for the foliage.

At any rate, it's filled out a bit more now, and seems reasonably suitable for use as a cut flower, which is what I do with 99% of my Aechmeas and Porteas anyway.  I only propagate the few that I think deserve it.   

Please register or login

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 15:30:54 »

Lisa, any updates? I have a P alatisepala and two kermesina in bloom and expect to start crossing them this weekend so I came back to review this. I'm not expecting a great inflorescence from my cross but the foliage should be interesting.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
aroideana

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Aroids Palms Cycads
Hobbies: Extreme cuisine , Durian

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:30:45 »

Infl. is almost identical to Portmea I was asking about a few weeks ago ..
Thought it might be Luis Ariza Julia .
\
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 19:21:23 »

No updates, Nick.  A second one bloomed, but it was virtually identical to the first. 

P. alatisepala and kermesina should make a nice cross. 

Please register or login
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 00:21:53 »

Hi Lisa,

I agree, it certainly is not the spectacular "best of both worlds", but that inflo is still nice in it's own way and as Kerry says, most of the time the main attraction will be the foliage, which was terrific.  I'll also be interested to see what range of variation you get.  Maybe the parents each have enough genetic variation in themselves to produce some neat differences when they get mixed together.  Good luck!

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: