Bromeliad Forum
December 17, 2017, 14:40:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh no. reached 41c in the shade today!  (Read 798 times)
Neomea

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, CYCADS, Anthuriums, orchids, Platycerium and the list goes on!
Hobbies: Fishing, Rugby,The Sharks! Springboks!!!

« on: September 14, 2010, 18:42:19 »

Hi all

Yesterday evening the forecast was for 31c today but when I woke up this morning and felt that the wind was already hot at 6:30 I decided to start moving some broms into protected spots. I managed to move about 50 and then had to get to work.

Needless to say the temp hit 41! Angry

I got home and it was already getting dark but I imagine that lots of broms must be burnt, bleached or worse!

Will know the extend of the damage in the morning...  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Growing Bromeliads in sunny Durbs
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 21:04:17 »

Hi neomea,

I don't think there's any thing more unpleasent than hot winds. We get them from the west here sometimes, although thankfully not often. Better get out the Seasol and give the plants a tonic transfusion to help them recover.

All the best, Nev.
Brom_Phil

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: clivia, cycads, dragon tree's, black mondo and much more
Hobbies: broms fishing and broms oops did i say that twice

Vriesea Fosteriana 'Rubra'

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 00:33:46 »

Neomea sadly i know what your talking about but were i am were kinda lucky we get the Australian howesterly winds through summer but the good thing it is full of humidity. so the plants will only cook and not have all the moister sucked out of them.

phill

Don't Blame the Plants. Blame the Grower
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

malleeAus

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:01:17 »

Hope they survive Neomea

Where I am 41 is a fairly 'standard' summers day (well high 30's is standard) with a few around 45/46 and unlike brom_phil its a dry heat (only a few humidish days) so its very much a matter of getting as much shadecloth up as possible and keeping a few buckets of water handy - as well as learning what will tolerate those highs along with winter frosts.       On one of the low to mid 40's days last year someone moved a cple of broms I had protected into full sun and suffice to say they didnt like it at all - luckily though broms are a hardy bunch and those that got burnt - even to the point where their unsightliness means they need to be hidden - managed to survive and produce pups so not a complete loss.
Neomea

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, CYCADS, Anthuriums, orchids, Platycerium and the list goes on!

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:24:40 »

Morning all

Well.... Lots of bleaching and burnt patches. Some of the others look like they haven't had water for a while and have lost their shine. A few with burnt cups, obviously the water was boiling in there. However I am surprised and relieved that the damage isn't too bad at this stage, some of the damage may take a while to show though.

Nev, I will give them a boost this weekend...

Yeah the weather is normally humid here but every now and then we have these winds that blow off the Drakensberg mountains (locally called Berg winds), by the time the wind reaches the coast its very hot and super dry... not nice. I think its a similar situation in Aus then from what you all mention. Phil: is that wind coming from inland?

malleeAus : that seems like a very difficult climate to work with...

Cheers

Dennis

Brom_Phil

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:14:10 »

Dennis glad there hasnt been to much dammage yet hope there isnt to much more damage.

The wind we get here is coming from inland so is hot but there is a lot of bush land between us and the dessert on the other side on the mountains and since we most probably get more rain than mallee the wind has quit a lot of humidity very uncomfortable you sweat and it all sticks to you only thing you can do is jump in one of our 2 dams deep and built in old quarries so nice and very cold I reckon could be down to low 10c at the bottom top inch you could cook a lobster in it but below that the temperature plummets really fast.  Oops off topic.

malleeAus you sound like your in the Northam parts of aus.

Phil

Neomea

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:36 »

Hi Phil....Ah ha. There is the difference. 50km from the coast here is Savannah and scrub, so not much vegetation to increase the humidity of the wind as it moves our way.

You have two dams on your property? I am thinking personal fishing paradise!!!

Brom_Phil

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 13:07:53 »

yep we put some fish in the dams last year, cant exactly remember what they were. But we got a creek frontage lots of nice fish in there I caught a 2 foot flatty in there once. and we catch huge mud crabs in there.

Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 13:27:45 »

Dennis,

I hope your plants bounce back.

Does anyone have any new tips/remedies to help prevent heat damage?

Cheers,

Rick

malleeAus

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 15:25:33 »

Ive had my fingers crossed for you all day - hopefully the damage isnt too long lasting and yep, is challenging brom growing conditions here but the challenges make them look even nicer when got right.  Has been challenging to grow much at all here for a while as (like in many places in Aus) we've had an extended drought over the past decade (with severe water use restrictions) but in the last few weeks we've had a fair bit of rain and all the creeks/rivers that head in my direction are now in flood so at least we'll have some water to play with this summer!

Brom_Phil.  north west Victoria here in an arid habitat, about 350 - 400 kms from those cooling ocean breezes (with the Great Dividing Range inbetween to cut off the rain etc).  Those inland winds you mention hit us as northerlies and with nothing between us and the desert when the northerlies hit and the heat is up its like walking out into a fan-forced oven!  Scary thing is those 46/47 degree days are becoming more common and its days like those that caused such horrific bush fires not so long ago...  Its the one time Im kinda thankfull theres not much bush left in my area to burn as we had about 3 weeks leading up to 'Black Saturday' when the temp didnt drop below the mid thirties even at night.  That said though I'd much prefer the dry heat rather than the extreme humidity you get up your way - that is just tooo draining for me!

Rick - due to a handy reminder from Splinter Ive been giving the broms a drink of Seasol lately which will hopefully strengthen them to tolerate both summer and winter better but will still mean they'll have to be protected from full sun.  Not sure if you have Seasol there Dennis but possibly under a different name.  Is a seaweed based solution and is a 'tonic' rather than a 'fertilizer' so helps to strengthen overall health of plant without giving them an overdose of nitrogen etc. 

Definetely keen to hear of any more tips to help prevent heat damage

cheers
Kristan
Neomea

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:41:14 »

Hi all

Nice Phil... so I am guessing the creek is tidal? Assuming of course that the flatty is a bar-tail flathead?

Kristan: THANKS! I am relieved that all is not too bad in the garden. The broms will bounce back quickly. Some of the more tropical palms had their new, fresh leaves burnt and my mini tree ferns are crispy! Not a nice climate Kristan (i prefer the humidity) and with the worlds climate changing its not looking good for Aus and South Africa.

We have Seagrow here, should be called stinkgrow. Phew, not pleasent! Its fish "stuff" I think. I will keep an eye out for the seaweed one though.

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Dennis

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Avane

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:55 »

Dennis,  I'm sorry to hear about your heatwave and your cooked broms!  I did not know that you ever got temps like that.  Seagrow will give your plants a nitrogen boost and make them stronger to handle - and recover - from heat like that.  But will also make them green.  I think the tonic Nev mentioned, is very much like Kelp or Kelpak that we get here.  I am getting good results using that on plants in the full sun.  No colour loss at all and make the plants handle heat much better.  I foliar feed my broms in the garden with that after some very hot days during our Summer and the recovery is remarkable.

Japie

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
Neomea

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:15:23 »

Its not often that it happens Japie... In summer when the humidity is up its far less damaging. Ah thanks for the name... I am off to Checkers in a jiffy!.

Cheers

Dennis

malleeAus

Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 15:12:22 »

Haha - Ill take some photos of the tree ferns at my place Dennis and I bet they'll make you feel better!!!  They are so crispy they look like they could spontaneously combust at any time!
Premium Advert
Neomea

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 16:09:35 »

OK Kristan: I dare you!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: