Bromeliad Forum
November 19, 2017, 04:03:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bromeliad Society of Qld Autumn Show  (Read 3578 times)
bromnut45

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: FRUIT TREES, ORNAMENTAL TREES ETC
Hobbies: PAINTING, CRAFTS, COOKING

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 13:24:09 »

Great photos Rick, you really covered the plant displays and venue well. Yes the new venue is fantastic + loads of parking. Just being able to walk 360o around the displays and being able to walk 3 abreast around the sales tables allows one to carry more and continue shopping.

I managed to convince myself to buy several new plants - just alittle something to feed the addiction.

It was said that numbers maybe alittle down compared to previous shows however when I left today, one couldn't walk around the sales tables without shuffling past people.

What did you buy Matt?Huh?  Pics pretty please.

I never made it up which is probably good, because I cant afford any at the moment. 

Its good that its a bigger venue, its so hard when you cant walk around with a brom in your arms, makes it very hard.

Alfina Wink

Brom_Phil

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: clivia, cycads, dragon tree's, black mondo and much more
Hobbies: broms fishing and broms oops did i say that twice

Vriesea Fosteriana 'Rubra'

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 08:45:15 »

Hi Rick what whould the name of this fella be. I just like all the flowers sticking out of the side Like till, multicaulis
You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Phil

Don't Blame the Plants. Blame the Grower
Premium Advert
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 09:03:57 »

Hi everyone,

What a great coverage of a great show in a great venue. I still don't know how I haven't seen this thread until today. Huh  Huh  Huh

It makes a change to see a show where there is a bit of room to move around, especially around the plant sales area, what a wonderful venue for a show and even some seats for the oldies to sit down and just look at the overall picture.

Well done Bromeliad Society of Queensland, give yourself a big pat on the back for a well presented show.

Rick, you're not forgotten either for taking on the task of show photographer, and you deserve a well earned pat on the back also. Because you did such a magnificent job I'll nominate you for the job again next year; anyone second that motion?

All the best, nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:19 »

I'm with Nev...I'll second his motion...and I missed this thread as well  Tongue

Looks like a great venue, with heaps of room, what a luxury, and what fantastic plants!

Graeme & I must have very similar taste in plants as my fav's are the Guz. lindenii's and the Neo. HL x Tiger variegates  Wink

Well done Rick, great photos.

Thanks, Andrew.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 12:31:17 »

Phil,

I've deleted my high res pictures which may have helped me read its name. Do any tillandsia experts know the name of the plant for Phil?

It looked like it picked up 3rd place in the flowering tillandsias - if I see the results in Bromeliaceae I'll let you know.

Rick
pedro

Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 13:19:23 »

Hi guys, multispike plant is T complanata. Many forms in nature but the ones with the amazing spotted and blotched foliage are *^$#@ hard to grow (and get hold of). Maybe Bruce can post a few Ecuador pics?? Pedro
brilliantbroms

Australia Australia

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 15:48:41 »

Hi Folks,

The BSQ says that sales were good and they will be giving the new place another go.

Cheers,
Roland.
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 12:34:56 »

Oi Pedro

You've mixed me up with Big Len. I'm hanging down the hill where the Heliconias grow, while Len stays up the hill in Racineas anf T. complanata are.

cheers Bruce
pedro

Australia Australia

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 01:22:02 »

OK, I know you like thicker air, Bruce (and beer). You're excused. Pedro
bayside bromeliads

Australia Australia

Hobbies: Fishing, Gardening, Camping.

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:57 »

Hey, and don't forget Red wine. The perfect recipe for hybridizing. Wink
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 13:24:36 »

Ahaaaa!  I know this is more-than-a-bit-late, but I reckon Bruce's "altitude" thing is definitely worth a thought. 

Something that intrigued me enormously when I got into scuba diving was nitrogen narcosis - like you get seriously high on the nitrogen in the air (nitrogen's about 70% of it), becoming pretty much totally whacko by the time you get to around 30 metres = 3 atmospheres pressure under the water.  I was once on a dive when we had to rescue a guy who was trying to give his regulator (ie air supply) to a friendly, local grouper fish that was hanging around ..... under a 100 feet of water ... laughing his head off ....

The interesting problem with this is that at 1 atmosphere pressure, ie sea level, you're still 30% totally whacko.  Hence the historical preferences for poets, mystical sages, etc, to head into the high hills where they can think clearly .............  nnnaaaaaahhhh!    Give me sea level any day.

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

pinkbroms

Australia Australia

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 13:43:57 »

Hello Michelle

Don't forget I have a COUPLE of Darwin stubbies here that need the top knocked off, not my cup of tea though.

PB
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: