Bromeliad Forum
October 21, 2017, 04:51:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above
 
   Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I do with my Sang?  (Read 705 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
brilliantbroms
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Australia Australia

Posts: 104



« on: March 09, 2011, 06:53:28 »

Hi Everyone!

Firstly, I can't seem to find the Guzmania child board... Is there one?  Huh

I would like to seek your idea/thoughts on my Guzmania sanguinea...

I first bought this magnificent brom a few years back when it was flowering... it was spectacular. I see a lot of the smaller forms around but I don't think it is nice as the nominate form.

As you would be aware this brom just replaces itself by just one (in most cases I believe) new plant emerging from the centre.

Some people remove this pup (HAS ANYBODY DONE THIS?) or you can let the pup grow - as the mother dies away. The result over time is that a stem develops.

I want to get back to it's original beauty - the leaves have become long and lanky rather than broad and triangular shaped. I am going to move it to better light and folar feed it. I also want to put slow release at the base - DO YOU THINK THE NUTRIENTS WILL TRAVEL TO THE PLANT - OR DO YOU THINK THAT PART WILL HAVE BECOME A BIT REDUNDANT?

My last question is (I won't use capitals this time)... Should I chop the next pup off and start again or is the stem thing a good look?

Cheers,
Roland. Cheesy


You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login


You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:55:39 by bbroms » Logged
Brod
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Australia Australia

Posts: 346


Aechmea lilacinantha


« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:19 »

Hi Roland, my attempts at production with this has been woeful. My attempts at pollinating failed. Then I removed a pup thinking it would produce more than one replacement, but alas only one came up. Then the pup I took off died. What a waist of time that whole exercise was. At lease the growing pup is doing well. It seems to be doing OK with a few hours of full sun.
You could probably cut it off near the top of the trunk, let it callous then pot up. Who knows a pup may develop from the old trunk.

Cheers
Brod
Logged
Premium Advert
Rickta66
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Australia Australia

Posts: 466



« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:37:07 »

Roland,

Guzmania posts live under Tillandsioideae; I only just realised that the Tillandsioideae don't seem to have spines
on their leaves.

I'm only growing some sanguinea seedlings - it certainly looks like you could cut the stalk down, if you watered the old root base with a dilute fertiliser it may produce some adventitous pups. John Catlan tells me that any old Neo mother may produce adventitous pups if the old root ball is watered with a dilute fertiliser.

Rick
Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

splinter1804
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock
Posts: 1384



« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 20:59:25 »

Hi Roland,

Some years back I bought a Guz. sanguinea in flower at the local markets for $5, (quite a good price I thought). The seller obviously didn't know what it was as she told me it was a "pot plant" called 'Flame.'

After it flowered it grew a new pup from the centre and the mother plant eventually died. The following three years were the same, flowered, new pup then mum dies.

The year before last however, after it flowered it put up two pups so this time I decided to take them off at the expense of destroying the mother plant which was going to die anyway. I removed them in a similar fashion to removing vriesea pups and took care to get a bit of the old mother tissue on the heel of each pup. I potted them up in the usual potting mix and when they became established, gave them a bit of Osmocote.They grew well and eventually flowered, but unfortunately only produced one pup each.

The old stump which was previously the mother didn't do anything in the way of producing pups or hair pups and eventually just died away to nothing.

The most recent two pups are now in flower and I have "fingers crossed" that they may repeat the feat of the past and produce two pups each instead of the usual one, but I'll just have to wait and see.

So for what it's worth, that's my experiences with this plant.

All the best, Nev.
Logged
brilliantbroms
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Australia Australia

Posts: 104



« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:41:33 »

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. My sang is in flower now, but after that I am going to give it the chop... maybe get some extra plants. Cheers, Roland.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP © Copyright Bromeliad & Airplant Forum | Hosted By GTS Designs
Powered by SMF 1.1.10 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC | Sitemap
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!