Bromeliad Forum
December 15, 2017, 22:42:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoh. castellanosii seasonal change  (Read 4051 times)

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 03:15:05 »

I had 4 pups to play with last summer and I put them in various settings. One I put it in pure lava rock where it doesn't get hit by the sprinklers but I did water it most every week. Last week it got blown out of the pot. It had no roots and didn't look happy. I doubt that your going to have good luck growing it as a pure epiphyte.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Mitche

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti, Succulents, Palms, Cycads
Hobbies: Tennis

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 20:54:53 »

Hohenbergia castellanosii is very challenging to grow well in my cold Auckland conditions which see temperatures plummet to 3 degrees C inside the plastic house in winter. At below 8 degrees, if water is left sitting on the leaves, they go glassy with cell rupture and die off in those spots. SO DON'T WATER CASTELLANOSII IF IT'S LIKELY TO BE UNDER 10 DEGREES. It's the most sensitive plant that I've come across in this respect.
Also I don't like to let the plant embark on winter without destressing it by giving it a little foliar feed in late summer. In other words THE LEAVES SHOULDN'T BE YELLOW MORE A LIME GREEN TO START WINTER. Obviously a stressed plant is more damage prone in a prolonged cold spell. Another measure that can help fortify against damage is to GROW IT AS A CLUMP NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL. Incidently my plant pictured in my previous post is  showing cell rupture die off cold damage from last winter so it's not well grown yet Graykiwi. Anyway, as we all do, I love the challenge posed by these tricky plants and will be doing all I can to realise the full potential of this spectacular species.
Mitche
Premium Advert
dooleybugs01

Australia Australia

Bromeliads I likey but by crikey they are spiky !!

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:07 »

Hi Dooley, it will interesting to see how it goes growing as an epiphyte when it is a terrestrial in nature. You are in the same latitude as southern Bahia. What do the plants look like in your area. I guess you receive more rainfall than southern Bahia so this may effect the colouring. Does your father or others you know in the Townsville area with its dryer conditions grow Cn. If so does it colour up like Lisa's.

Hi Brod,
I have 2 small plants which i received last year so no colour yet for me.  1 i will grow as an epiphyte and the other i have skewered to get more pups.  There is a nursery up the road called "equatorial exotics" i know grows them and gets the red colour.  (not as good as lisa's)  They sell them on ebay(some of you may have seen the pics of the mother's showing colour).  The old man wouldn't have it as he has a small yard and anything that does not perform or too fiddly goes.
Let's all report our findings on the various experiments in a year!!

Dooley.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Neomea

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, CYCADS, Anthuriums, orchids, Platycerium and the list goes on!
Hobbies: Fishing, Rugby,The Sharks! Springboks!!!

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 08:17:03 »

Ouch Mitche... challenging growing conditions down there! Very valuable info for many of the members living in colder areas...

Growing Bromeliads in sunny Durbs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: