Bromeliad Forum
December 17, 2017, 14:53:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for me to let go :( Entire collection for sale  (Read 2812 times)
Gardengems

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Vegetables, daylilies, Heliconias and gingers
Hobbies: poultry farming

« on: February 23, 2011, 00:30:17 »

Hi guys Smiley

After all this time of building up a precious collection, I need to now get rid of everything (except about 150-200 of my faves)

The story goes a little like this.......
We moved onto this property  just over 3 years ago, We built a brom house to house a couple of hundred broms I had in hope to expand and get more in and I was so addicted that I just kept spending and spending and had to have everything that I did not have that tickled my fancy,,,,,you know the disease im talking about ....LOL

Meanwhile I also had a part time job that sometimes took 12 hours out of my days, and then also with 5 children in the house, time was getting limited for the broms, but I always found the time to keep them in right lighting in the changes of the seasons and de-pupping everything I could de-pup to increase the collection.

My parents had a chicken farm next door which was growing nicely, but was only small, about 500 free range chickens.
My step father passed away just over 1 year ago now and Mum had to sell the chickens, I thought of giving up my part time job and buying in some more chickens in hope to work from home.
 I have now had this going for just a year now and Im up to 600 chickens....many turkeys, guinea fowl, ducks and roosters
I am swamped....im drowning and over it. I have no time now for broms, my children , my husband and my life is over run by the feathered friends.

We as a family have made an ultimate decision to move closer to where my children go to highschool in the next 12 months.
I have 4 children who attend highschool in Mareeba, they travel 1 and 1/2 hours by bus every morning to get to school and then the same to come home. So 3 hours a day in travel would be saved if we moved. They could also attend after school activities and have better work opportunities if we moved.
My husband also is one who needs to be close to a hospital. In the past 10 years he has had 3 heart opperations, with by-passes and stents (hes only 47)....so I would feel more comfortable with him being in town.

I believe we would have a better family life and lengthen our lives if we just settled a bit closer to town without the acreage and the chores and jobs that keep this place going....I am over it...I need a life....lol...a more relaxing life.

Last week I put an add in the paper to sell off the chicken bit by bit.

So its time I let go of my collection and just held onto ones that an addict NEEDS to hold onto. I cant bear to not have my beautiful broms

MY QUESTION IS
Do any of you guys know of anyone who lives close enough to come and have a visit?
 To see if there is anything that they would like to have in their collection.

I dont have a list thats up to date (due to my lack of time over the past 18 months)
most of my plants are large in size that are pupping also , so it would be hard for me to send a full plant with pups.
If anyone here would like to tell me their wants, then there could be a possibility that I may have it, but I dont think my collection has much more then what you guys already have. I ceased buying about 12 months ago.
I could find some pics of my brom house and some broms that you could get the idea of what I do have, if there is anything that interests you then maybe let me know, or show your friends who may live up this way please Smiley

Thanks for reading through my waffle if you got this far. Much appreciated  Smiley
Gardengems

Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:01:30 »

These pictures I have just found in my old Photo bucket account. It will give you some idea as to some of my collection here
So sorry if the pics are too big

1.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

2.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

3.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

4.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

5.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

6.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

7.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

8.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
Premium Advert
Gardengems

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:09:58 »

Yasi, came close to us with the wind doing alot of damage to the trees around here.
My brom house now is on a lean and may not stand up to another cyclone. Getting pretty worried about that Sad
The cyclone and the trauma was what made it ring home to us that we just have too much at stake. it took day to get ready , to tie everything down.
Looking forward to the simpler life of having LESS

a.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

b.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

c.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

d.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

e.You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:05 »

Hi Germaine,

I can't help out with a visit, but I'd just like to say thanks for all those beautiful pics of all those beautifully grown plants.  It's great that you can take at least some of them with you.

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
totarapete

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Cycads(encephlartos),Palms,Agave,Aloes,etc
Hobbies: hot rods and classic cars

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:11 »

Fantastic collection and really well grown,neo's are amazing,excellent photo's,all i can say is good luck to you and make sure you keep enough broms to restart your passion when you move but be careful not to end up with to small a section,if i lived near i would visit thats for sure.Relax with your family and those beautiful broms,all the best
Pete
Brom_Phil

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: clivia, cycads, dragon tree's, black mondo and much more
Hobbies: broms fishing and broms oops did i say that twice

Vriesea Fosteriana 'Rubra'

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38:43 »

wow Germaine that's a nice collection wish i had some money to re leave you of a few and wish i was closer to come visit and have a good look at them.
phil

Don't Blame the Plants. Blame the Grower
Gardengems

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 00:30:29 »

Thanks everyone for your lovely compliments Smiley
I used to have time in my life to keep it maintainted like this.
It does not look so pretty now sadly.
Every day, when I can slip in there I try and put 30 mins of work into it.
I have to get it looking better for visitors and customers...hoping there to be less and less to look after in the next 12 months

Thanks also for the emails I have recieved from some of you xoxox
perkepuss

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: some orchids, mostly broms - neos, vriseas & tillandsias
Hobbies: puzzles, sudoko, crosswords etc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 14:14:25 »

Hi Germaine.  Wish we lived closer to Mareeba to come and relieve you of some of those beauties.  This time last year we went north in our motorhome all the way to Cooktown and Karumba.  Everywhere we stopped we checked out brom growers.  Wish we had know about you in Mareeba.  We came home with 78 broms in the camper.  Wish we were going north again this year but it's a bit wet and windy.  We're going south this year instead.

Hope you manage to cull the collection. Good luck.
Wendy

Wendy
Gardengems

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:07:05 »

Hi there Wendy, Such a shame you did not travel the road to Port Douglas, I possibly would have had my bromeliad sign out on the road back then.
We are way north of Mareeba just before you head down the range to Port Douglas.

Ive had a wind of good luck/blessing fall my way. A wholesaler from Melbourne who deals with tropicals stumbled across me a couple of weeks ago and is organising with me to buy the entire collection over a period of time for resale down in Victoria florist shops and nurseries. He is willing to pay a good price as he just fell in love with the colours and the plants when he got here.
First shipment is to leave next week....woooohoooooo

My husband and I also have made a decision to do some markets to get a good price on the larger plants
dooleybugs01

Australia Australia

Bromeliads I likey but by crikey they are spiky !!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:24 »

hi Germaine,
Sounds like you were due for so good luck and you got it excellent!!  You will have to let us know which markets and when you are doing it Roll Eyes.
Dooley
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 08:05:45 »

Hi Germaine,

See I told you it pays to advertise. Don't sell my Rosella though (or my Rosella Jam).

As someone once said, "I love it when a plan comes together"

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Brom_Todd

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:16 »

Ive had a wind of good luck/blessing fall my way. A wholesaler from Melbourne who deals with tropicals stumbled across me a couple of weeks ago and is organising with me to buy the entire collection over a period of time for resale down in Victoria florist shops and nurseries.

Excellent to hear Germaine - I can empathise with the emotions involved in letting your collection go, followed by the logistics of actually seeing it happen.
It's reassuring to know that your amazing broms will end up with people who appreciate them.
If the Melbourne buyer does follow through, please let us know. I can't get up to where you are, but would be keen to track down your plants here in Melbourne.

Cheers, Todd
Gardengems

Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 13:31:38 »

Hi Dooley, we were thinking of starting with the Mossman Market because there is apparently only one brom seller there and have been told the little market would love to see more broms there for competition Wink
Mareeba market is flooded with broms and couldnt possibly fit another one in......
If ever you happen to come to mossman you could find me with my broms at the stall thats also selling chook poop.....lol....seeing as though we have a few hundred chooks there is a fair bit of that stuff to go round.

Duncha wurry bout me selling your Rosella Nev...its safely tucked away in my private collection Wink

Todd, I dont know how his customers are that will buying my broms for resale. I could try and ask for a few names. What town are you living in?

Im a little worried about them going down south actually, especially this time of year. I feel like im sending them to their death Sad if the right person does not pick them up and care for them. I reckon they will lose alot of colour due to the winter being the wet season for you guys. Our winter is our dry season with lots of sun and lots of brom colour.
grumpygrub

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: small palms, cordylines, crotons, bamboo

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 15:10:04 »

Hi Germaine,

well i hope to see you on sunday, i've already found a babysitter for my son so we can bring the van (it's only a two seater) but now my other half is SOOOOOO excited about coming up that i think he is seriously thinking of ditching me so that he has more room in the van!!!!! and he was the one who was never going to get into broms as they just didn't interest him, hhhhmmmmmmm they were supposed to be my hobby.............. to tell you the truth i think if he could have gotten the day off work we would've been up before the weekend!

what about the bloomin broms event in cairns 2nd and 3rd july to sell some of your broms? big brom sales time, sellers and buyers coming from all over qld, pretty big turnover of broms when this sale time is on.

cheers, tess
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 15:12:05 by grumpygrub » Logged
Premium Advert
Gardengems

Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 10:48:24 »

Hi Tess,

It was lovely to talk to you on the phone the other night Smiley
Since that conversation ,my mother has requested that we please help her with her getting ready to open shop. She recently purchased the licence/lease to own Nine Mile Store which is at the top of the range here in Julatten.
Every other day has been out of the question in helping her so we had to settle for Sunday. Would you be able to either come really early in the morning or late in the afternoon as I am guessing our complete day will be cleaning and scrubbing fridges and freezers and walls of the shop and anything else she needs help with.
So sorry to have to do this to you Sad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: