Bromeliad Forum
October 19, 2017, 09:26:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brocchinia Reducta  (Read 1373 times)
bromnut45

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: FRUIT TREES, ORNAMENTAL TREES ETC
Hobbies: PAINTING, CRAFTS, COOKING

« on: February 09, 2011, 00:41:38 »

Hi all,

Is anyone else growing Brocchinia Reducta??? I have just purchased one and would like to know how to grow it.  I have had a good look at the internet info and also GW and they are contradictory, some say have it sitting in water others say grow it dry???

Any help would be appreciated. 

Alfina Grin
Matt15

Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:31:25 »

Nice buy Alfina. Photos of this on the FCBS look interesting. Put me down to a pup down the track Wink

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
bromnut45

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:16 »

Hey Matt,

Not a problem, the first pup is yours, must remember to write it down in my little book, otherwise I will forget.  I wrote down the other one you wanted, the Hohenbergia X I think Huh, thanks goodness I wrote it down, lol, memory fades as you get older, its really awful, I like having a sharp mind, what can you do but laugh or cry or both, lol.

Take care.

Alfina
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

pinkbroms

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:48:53 »

Hi Alfi

I grow Br. reducta in the garden year round along the edge of a pond that has several fountains in it which splash/spray water over it regulary, very bright to almost full sun, it's still growing.
Brocchinia micrantha & Br. acuminata do fine here for me with wet feet, more shaded than reducta.

PB

bromnut45

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 12:00:39 »

Hi PB,

Thank you for that information,  it gets quite warm there too but not as humid as Brissie hey?Huh

Alfina Smiley
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:04:31 by bromnut45 » Logged
Uluwehi

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Aroids, orchids, Vireyas, ferns
Hobbies: photography

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 20:34:36 »

I grow mine in full sun at 600m elevation in rain forest, grown in pots or volcanic soil/cinders. They form pups frequently, and flower annually.  I have seen the plants growing in shallow moving water on Auyan Tepui in Venezuela, but the do well in my environment (4000 mm rain/year) without being in water.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 23:29:24 »

Hi Alfina,

I'm not familiar with the plant, but looking at the habitat pic's on the FCBS Photo Index, these seem to be growing in sand and in a very dry environment.

All the best, Nev.
Mitche

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti, Succulents, Palms, Cycads
Hobbies: Tennis

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:59:52 »

My Brocchinia reducta pictured below is an example of how not to grow them....It's been badly pampered, so it's over green and blown out with pups. These plants are among the toughest of all bromeliads and should be serverely treated to yellow them off and bring out the longitudinal markings which you can vaguely see on my pampered sooky. Also the form becomes more tubular and elongated when faced with the hard life of it's native habitat on the top of Tepuis near the equator in the Guiana Highlands. These table top mountains rise abruptly 1,000m above the jungle savannah below, to heights of up to 3,000m above sea level. There, the climate is radically different from the equatorial jungle below. The diurnal range fluctuates between 3 and 26 degrees C and the annual rainfall is a colossal 9,000mm so most of the soil and poorly attached plant life is washed off the table top and cascades a 1,000m down the sheer cliffs to the savannah below. The tepuis are a magnet for clouds and so they're generally shrouded but when the sun does emerge, the UV blasts down through the altitude rarified atmosphere onto the typically unshaded Brocchinias and other stunted, scant and super hardy plant life.
So you can see that Brocchinia reducta is one tough bugger! treat it accordingly for best results.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 00:59:40 »

Pampered or not your plant looks good Mitche.

Best of luck with yours Alfina. Put me down after Matt for a pup.
bromnut45

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 04:44:04 »

Wow Mitche, I hope mine starts pupping like that.  Brod the second pup is yours when she has them, lol.

Alfina
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: