Bromeliad Forum
November 22, 2017, 08:17:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone flowered a Bromelia in a pot  (Read 927 times)
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« on: February 03, 2011, 04:09:05 »

I've had this Bromelia pinguin (I think) in a pot for a while and have potted up a pup which grew from the bottom holes. It has another pup protruding as well. Recently it has turned red in the centre which it is supposed to do when commencing flowering. What do you think will it flower. Has anyone flowered one of these in a pot. I plant to plant the pup in the ground and manage it well.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Please register or login

Cheers

Brod
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:46 »

No experience with the big guys, but I saw a really clever way to grow them in the ground without letting them get out of control...put in a partial metal drum in the ground so the pups have to crawl out over the top of it.  That makes it really easy to snip and remove the pups that start to run.

Premium Advert
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 05:42:13 »

That's a good idea Andy. I'll keep that in mind when I plant it.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Brom_Todd

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:58:43 »

Hi Brod,
I've flowered B. serra in a pot. It looks like yours has started flowering too.
The pups can be very sharp and determined  Shocked I found that one had circled the bottom of the pot a few times then headed to the surface, but a second one managed to distort the thick plastic and then punctured straight through it!
A steel drum may start off being strong enough, but after a few years underground could get a bit weak/rusty.

Magnificent plants, just a pity that they want to rule the planet  Wink
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 00:47:09 »

This is on fire. It's putting on a real show and has not even showed a flower yet.

Please register or login
paddy70

Australia Australia

Hobbies: Fossicking for sapphires

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:18:13 »

Hi Brod,
yes I have pinguin, and it has just finished flowering. It was originally in a pot but as I was unable to remove without being torn to pieces, I took pot and all and made it a centre attraction in one of my garden beds. It ended up splitting the pot, produced two pups and both now are about a metre wide. As I said one has just finished flowering, and the other is just starting to color up. There are two new pups but I,m not sure what to do with them. The plant puts on a tremendous display  with the centre turning a beautiful orangey red and then the centre appears to look a little like a grey cottonwool with beautiful little flowers over it.
I once read that the South American indians used to have them growing around the perimeter of their villages to keep the animals out.
I also have Bromelia balansae which is another thorny "you know what". think carefully before they get to big.

Paddy   
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:00:01 »

Thanks Paddy for your responce. I plan to plant a pup I took off a few months back and leave this one in the pot and take whatever pups it puts out to keep the neighbours cat away ( no just joking).
bromadorer

Australia Australia

Hobbies: gardening

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:04:36 »

I'm interested in this post because I have about 6 Bromelia balansae in pots and am at a loss as to what to do with them. I have dogs who tear around the property at 40km an hour and worry they will run into them if I put them into the garden. I guess they would only do it once. Also, I'm not liking the thought of keeping them maintained, with removal of extra pups e.t.c. If anyone would like one of these, pick up only, send me a message.
They are in large pots, and are over a metre wide, and very prickly!
BA
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:33:10 »

As you can see this Bromelia is now in flower. I think it may be a B. serra not a pinguin.

Has anyone had a bigeneric cross with these. I'm trying with an Ae. chantinii as the seed parent thinking that the bromelia would be a selfer.

I have a commercial pineapple coming into flower I might try it with that as well.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Cheers

Brod
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: