Bromeliad Forum
November 20, 2017, 12:48:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tillandsia DVD  (Read 1617 times)
Z

« on: January 06, 2011, 08:06:37 »

Added 20/01/2011 - THIS GROUP HAV BEEN INVITED TO JOIN ANOTHER ONLINE RARE PLANT GROUP. WE HAV INTERGRATED ALL OUR MEMBERS AND ASSETS INTO THE MORE ESTABLISHED GROUP.   UNFORTUNATELY THIS DVD, EPIPHYTE FERTILIZER HANDBOOK AND THE NEW TILLANDSIA CULTURE DVD WILL NOT B AVAILABLE ON THIS FORUM ANY MORE - EXCEPT THOSE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM, WHO ALREADY EMAILED ME (OR CHRIS). THANK YOU 4 YOUR SUPPORT.      Excellent Tillandsia DVD available at R35-00 (non profit !) plus postage. Many photos of rare Tills in culture and habitat. Great 4 id Tillandsias !. LIMITED COPIES - ONLY AVAILABLE TO RARE TILLANDSIA AND ANTPLANT EMAIL GROUP MEMBERS (SOUTH AFRICA). We are promoting the conservation and propagation of rare Tillies in SA. Any1 interested; feel free to email me. Thank you
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:04:22 by casper » Logged
gumnuttills

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Bromeliades, Tillandsia, Orchids, cordylines, ferns, palms, birds nests, elks, stags, succulents, herbs, anything different
Hobbies: birds - parrots, fish - Japanese Koi, visiting other peoples gardens, always learning something new

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 23:03:27 »

Highly recommend, this DVD a must have for all Tillnuts  Smiley

Chris & Anna

"Long live the species grower"
Premium Advert
gonzer

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 23:57:31 »

ONLY AVAILABLE TO RARE TILLANDSIA AND ANTPLANT EMAIL GROUP MEMBERS (SOUTH AFRICA).
Sounds like an awfully exclusive club.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Z

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:06:45 »

Hi Gonz, this group is part of a WORLDWIDE NETWORK OF (MOSTLY SPECIES ORIENTATED) BACKYARDGROWERS/FRIENDS COLLECTING RARE PLANTS (in this case; Tillandsia). What make us diffirent (but not exclusive) is that we r ACTIVELY PROPAGATING THESE RARE PLANTS TO SHARE PLANTMATERIAL (INCL. SEED, ADVICE, CULTURE, EXT.) - "CONSERVATION VIA PROPAGATION" (firstly all species but also rare hybrids). In South Africa most Tills r still rare and expensive but even so, there r plants that r even more rare (eg. T.prodigosa, T.hildae, T.deppeana, grandis, australis, V.reitzii, ext.). What might make us "exclusive" is that WE DO NOT WELCOME "TROPHY HUNTERS"; these r the collectors that sits with VERY RARE SPECIES (in some cases there r just a few in cultivation worldwide) and do NOTHING to increase the numbers of these plants (conservation). Since i breed rare animal too, i always use this to show my point: if u hav just one bird of a highly endangered/rare Macaw species - very able to breed and multiply - and u do NOTHING to ACTIVELY INCREASE their numbers in capitivity ; THEN YOU R A TROPHY HUNTER ! - that bird can just as well b dead and mounted on a wall !. (When it comes to very rare plants/animals, sayings like "its my baby", "it is my pet" or even "its my property !" does not work for us). Our view is that some of us were so FORTUNATE to obtain some of the rarest/highly endangered plants/animals in the world AND WE MUST DO EVERYTHING TO INCREASE THEIR NUMBERS IN THE SHORTEST POSSIBLE TIME - AND SHARE/SELL THEM TO OTHERS. If u do not know how to do it - join this group - we might b able to help. LETS B RESPONSIBLE KEEPERS OF ALL LIVING THINGS ENTRUSTED TO US - a rare Till is not diffirent from a rare parrot cz it is "just a plant!". ANYONE interested, feel free 2 contact me - even if u hav just one rare plant. Thanks, Gonz - hope this answers your reply - i can get very excited about these rare plants cz I LOVE PLANTS !. Hav a nice day. C *ALSO: THIS DVD IS A EDUCATIONAL TOOL - TO PREVENT POSSIBLE COMMERCIAL PIRATE COPING (WHICH ALL LIVING IN AFRICA, WOULD AGREE IS A MASSIVE PROBLEM) - each dvd has a "special id" added to it; which can b traced back to every individial copy - SO, I MAKE SURE I KNOW WHERE EVERY COPY GOES.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:33:09 by casper » Logged
Dawn
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 13:27:40 »

Hi Casper,

I would really love to buy a copy of that DVD.  Embarrassed how do I post you an email ? I am still not used to navigating this site . I will try and find the email facility,  if you don't get an email from me you will know I have lost myself in the system  Roll Eyes
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 19:53:17 »

Hi Casper,

Thank's for the explanation, I was beginning to think you were a member of a club full of "snobs" from what I had previously read and I must say my opinion of you had dropped considerably.

However it's all clear now, and I take my hat off to you for what you are trying to achieve and good luck with the outcomes.

All the best, Nev.
gonzer

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 00:41:15 »

Thanks for the explanation Casper. I too am trying to raise seed of as many uncommon species as possible. Can you tell us the contents of the DVD?

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
Z

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:41 »

Thanks Nev + Gonz, for the support - hope it is going 2 work (longterm) in SA. Not 2 many people interested in conservation of rare Tills here !. Also, not a "quickfix club" - lot of hard work and begging 2 get plants from the "tropyhunters" here.  Support from overseas has been fantastic - we also got Antplant (we do other plants 2) seeds which will hopefully germinate - first in SA. The DVD shows all known Till species and hybrids in cultivation and habitat. Personally; while ago i thought of "going commercial" but decided against it - instead i stopped hybridizing and slowly r selling/swapping most of my "not so rare" Tills - putting all my efforts/resources/knowledge in to the conservation and propagation of rare Till species. So, i am going to hav much less plants soon (and less work !). I am going "seedhunting" 4 a few days - if i do not reply immediately. Hav a nice day !.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:35:42 by casper » Logged
gumnuttills

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Bromeliades, Tillandsia, Orchids, cordylines, ferns, palms, birds nests, elks, stags, succulents, herbs, anything different
Hobbies: birds - parrots, fish - Japanese Koi, visiting other peoples gardens, always learning something new

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:41 »

Hi Casper,

As previously advised we do have a copy of the DVD you are trying to promote, it has been the most amazing resource of information to us in helping us ID much of this collection we have taken on.

If one can only imagine picking UD's thoughts, have access to his files and information - then yes you have it in one DVD.  Most of the information is available via many sources on line, however depending on your PC, ISP etc how long does it take to view and load it - the DVD is a must buy for all Tillnuts - and yes we will start posting more about our garden soon.

Regards

Chris & Anna

PS Splinter & Pinkbroms note last of the polystyrene boxes have gone.

Z

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 11:01:04 »

Chris + Anna, thanks 4 the support. I need those poly boxes !. ((Pity we do hav a few commercial growers here in SA, who hav some of these rare plants (orchids, tills, succulents, ext) in there private collections for many years now -not multiplying them- that do not want to "join" us in the conservation of these species. Look, we r not talking about getting plants for free or mass propagating there top sellers/hybrids like Neo's - we r only interested in a few species who hav very little big commercial value. Looks like this is going to b a long hard road here in SA but thanks again 4 every1s support (+ plants + seeds)). VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO UD !. Regards. C 
gumnuttills

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 11:52:03 »

Hi Casper,

We have alcants in our front yard, that splinter has an interest in (or should I say checking in on us  Smiley - all good, Chris today checked out some of the grass pups he took from one plant the Imperalis last year - these grass pups are now throwing their own grass pups, the runt of the pack has thrown 5 grass pups - and yet mum has not flowered.  She is a massive plant, for some reason she is not ready to flower - we may have to give her more light.

Meanwhile we also have another special lady - again an alcantarea, she is under a shaded canopy her actual flower spike now approx 10 ft tall - the branches stretching out to approx 1-2 feet max, she is going to flower this year, we have collected a few grass pups, which have been potted up, with the help of Splinter going to collect the seed, to share/swap with others of this beautiful species, also hoping some offers of some pollen for our "grumpy old men team"  on the south coast to play with.

Chris & Anna

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Z

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 18:05:49 »

Hi C+A, invite me for a "braai" ("barbie") and i can almost guarentee, all your Alcts will bloom - in the old days they used repeated smoke from (far away !) woodfires blowing over pineapple fields to induce fruit (blooming). Just do not burn the place !. C  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 00:08:50 by casper » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: