Bromeliad Forum
February 24, 2018, 17:19:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late Dr. Frank Sherman - a great friend  (Read 920 times)
Z

« on: November 25, 2010, 12:44:12 »

Many years ago i had a lush subtropical garden in Pretoria. Bromeliads, palms, orchids, icecream bush, ext. but then i had to move to a farm in the Freestate. Since it is so cold here; nobody even knows what a bromeliad is. I started missing esp.all the nice Tillandsia i had in Pretoria. There was no internet in those days, so i wrote (snail mail !) to many collectors and societies over the world- got no response !. For a while i gave up but then i wrote a short note "WANTED: COLDTOLERANT BROMELIAD SEED" and mailed it to the BROMELIAD SOCIETY OF SOUTH FLORIDA. About a month later i received a BIG !! padded envelope from Frank; filled with little seedpackages, each with a cultural note. Saying he is willing to help on a long term basis. So, over many years i received many little packages and friendly letters from him. Countless times i also tried to sent him 'gifts' in return but he would get a bit upset, when i mentioned i want to sent him 'very special African art'. Always responding: "glad to help !". THANK YOU, FRANK - A GREAT, UNSELFISH FRIEND !.
Tomas

Italy Italy

Other Plants I Grow: Tropical and subtropical plants, palms, orchids

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 20:32:26 »

Funny to receive "cold tolerant bromeliad seed" from someone in South Florida!

Tomas
Premium Advert
Z

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 21:36:39 »

Tomas, funny that u mention this - the first seedpacket that i took out of the first envelope, had a note on it: (NAVIA) "coldsensitive, not below 45 F". He had so many plants that he later send me just any seed "to test for coldtolerance". I might be wrong but some of the seed might hav come from another member ("Princess" ?) that i never met - to long ago, can not remember all details. I did lose a lot due to the cold. I still hav some of the notes/letters he wrote. Very precious to me. Through out these years, i always kindly - in good memory - joked that God took Dr. Frank to heaven cz He needed a unselfish BROMELIAD DOCTER to heal and care for all the bromeliads that i have killed (and have gone to heaven). My wish is that we all find such a special bromeliad friend in our lifetimes. Thank you. (this concludes all my communication on this subject. Thank you)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:06:44 by casper » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: