Bromeliad Forum
December 13, 2017, 11:58:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conservatory  (Read 210 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« on: May 13, 2017, 09:24:47 »

Hi all, Finally got our automated sprinkler system going, better late than never, was taking us a good hour to water these every second evening in the summer. As its now late autumn, its down to once a week.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

a selection of art created by the misting

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

-John
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:01:29 »

Hi anyone left. So this got posted with no comments, we finally got our conservatory watering working so we could go off overseas for a month, come back and nothing!, shows this forum is dead as attracted no interest, oh well bye all see you on FB.

John
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:03:29 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 23:39:40 »

Hi John – Yes I must say I gave up as I had checked out this forum every day since I responded to your post from Vietnam on the 2nd June and nothing, “Zilch”, so I thought what’s the use of writing if no one’s going to respond.

This post which you started on 13th May has only just now shown up on my computer together with your post from yesterday. I don’t know what happened there; maybe my friendly gremlin is back in my computer again. It’s just pure chance that I thought I’d have one final look this morning before I gave it away completely and I see that you’ve posted again.

I must say you make me green with envy every time I see your conservatory as I’d love to be able to afford something like that, even just a polycarbonate roof over one of my shade houses would be great, but unfortunately it’s not in the budget as I’m unable to do it myself anymore and the cost of a builder would send me into bankruptcy.

There’s no doubt the winters here are gradually getting colder than they were when I first started growing brom’s. Even now when the coldest part of winter hasn’t hit us yet, I’m already seeing cold damage; even in my best shade house that gets good light and reasonable protection from the elements. I think ideally a poly-carbonate roof would be the answer because as well as keeping out the cold, I’ve read where it also blocks the harmful UV rays that cause all the damage in mid-summer.

What sort of roof do you have John, is it poly-carbonate? Do you need shade cloth over it as well? Anyway, no good having a whinge, I just have to make the best of what I have and hope the winter won’t be too severe. 

I love “Mother Nature’s Art” in your pictures, I’ve always been fascinated by the intricate patterns made by spiders as they build their webs, which is only accentuated by the fine mist, so thanks for sharing them with us John.

I think we’ve given this forum our “best shot” to try and revived it, we started with four and now we’re down to two; soon we’ll be talking to ourselves  and I’m now beginning to think we’re wasting our time, what do you think John, should we call it a day and move on?

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:39:50 »

Thanks for your comments Nev, yes its poly carbonate and no we don't put any shade cloth over. Its not the clear poly carbonate but a fibre reinforced thicker one and seems to be OK mid summer for burning as long as the plants are at floor level. We put a layer of 50% white over the hanging pots on the under side of the polycarb.

The fine sprinkler system has worked well, automatically turning on once a week. Found plants with about the write amount of water when we returned. Will be interesting if we can get the balance correct come summer.

Sadly Nev, we need some others posting to keep this forum going, I feel with so little interest its hardly worth the effort. We visited 3 from gardens while away, 1 in my wife's home town in Kuching Sarawak and 2 in Singapore. All those garden owners are on FB. One of them is Lyndi Whye who used to be on here as well but has long given it away.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:44:59 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 23:17:36 »

Hi John - Thanks for the feedback about your conservatory. As for Lyndi, I remember her way back when she was on the Garden Web Forums before this one.

I have to reluctantly agree with you (even though I don't like giving up), but I'm pretty sure most of the original forum members have all now gone to Face Book and the newer members don't seem interested in taking part. so I guess it's case of "If you can't beat them, join them" ............... See you on Face Book.

Finally, to all those reading these posts, I'm sorry to say that we're leaving, but if some of you had participated instead of continually lurking and sitting on the fence, this would still be a healthy operating forum. Instead it's sadly going to die!

All the best, Nev.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: