Bromeliad Forum
December 14, 2017, 10:55:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New camera  (Read 173 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« on: April 23, 2017, 06:49:07 »

Hi everyone, just invested in a new camera, Panasonic TZ110, -a larger image processor than the normal travel camera + a good zoom. Just fits in my pocket. Here's a few macro shots from just now, testing if the photo uploader will work for 20mp images.

First flower on a bigeneric cross we made, Neoregelia (ampullacea x pauciflora) x Neothanus 'Firefoam'

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Some of the anthers removed

Please
register or login

Pollen applied to the stigma

Please
register or login

Will take some of the whole plant tomorrow, not a good looker but interested to see if its fertile as have another in this grex thats nicer in our opinion.

cheers John
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:49:16 »

A few more images today.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Another from the same grex

Please
register or login

Cheers all, John
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:01:56 by jaga » Logged
Premium Advert
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 23:24:17 »

Hi everyone.

John - I'll try again! I answered your post of the 23rd but it seems to have vanished?Huh?

Take Two! - It seems you now have the right camera for the job. The clarity of the close-ups is really great, and I can't wait to see  more of them.

I didn’t know of xNeotanthus ‘Firefoam’ and looked it up on the BCR. What did surprise me was that although it was a Hummel hybrid, there was actually some info recorded which is rare as there’s usually nothing about his hybrids.

The notes say, “It will make a trunk before naturally blooming “; have you found this with your plant in N.Z. John?

I imagined your hybrids would have been smaller seeing that the “seed parent” was a primary hybrid between two miniature species and the bi-generic “pollen parent” was from a crossing with a Cryptanthus (another smallish plant) but then that’s got a “?” after it and may not be correct.

I find bi-generic crossings fascinating and feel that what we’re seeing is only the very “tip of the iceberg” and there are many, many beautiful and interesting hybrids to come in the future. It’s just unfortunate that many of the crossings already done were done twenty or more years ago and there’s no photographic evidence to go with the written descriptions. However now with cameras like the one you have just bought, this has all changed and we now get accompanying pictures of excellent clarity accompanying new registrations.

Just a brief side-track:
To anyone reading this post; I’m going to do a little trial in the near future on different ways of growing bromeliad seed, so I’d like you to put on your thinking caps and let’s know of the various methods you have tried (successfully and unsuccessfully) and what you’ve found  the most successful for you.

I’ll start a new thread and hopefully we can all learn something from it.

Sorry to have temporarily hi-jacked your thread John – just look on it as a free advertisement Ha! Ha!

All the best, Nev.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: