Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 02:08:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: February Brom meeting  (Read 615 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« on: February 28, 2017, 10:26:28 »

Some pics from tonights meet, hopefully OK taken with mobile pH in low light.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Enjoy - John.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:40:48 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 21:54:58 »

Hi everyone.

John - I don't know about a meeting, it looks  more like a show. What a great looking lot of plants exhibited by your members.

You are very fortunate as you seem to have plenty of tables on which to present your plants without crowding, unfortunately at our meetings, the amount of available tables are often inadequate and consequently the plants are often over-crowded and not displayed as well as they could be. 

Nevertheless the members still turn up with their plants so others can share in the visual enjoyment just like they do in your society and many others.

A great show of plants John and thanks for sharing - Your contributing members should all be congratulated.

Not meaning to hi-jack your thread John, but rather than start a new thread just for one picture; I'd like to add a pic I saw on another forum as it's probably the best example of Neoregelia "leaf stacking" I have ever seen.

Unfortunately there was no information supplied, but it's obviously a Neoregelia but that's probably all we know unless someone here recognises the plant and where it comes from (probably a tropical environment I would guess) and can share this information with us.

Please
register or login

All the best Nev.
Premium Advert
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 03:51:31 »

Nev, its Neo Ninja, grown in Thailand I believe.  Its been on FB.
Its certainly a good example, there were many like this recently in there national show, images were shown by Chanon who is now judging that competition.

John
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 04:42:27 »

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the info John, it all fits together as Chanin was always involved and often posted pic's from their shows with Neo's with nice leaf stacking, but none as good as this one.

Maybe Ninja is the name they've put on it in Thailand but it certainly isn't the 'Ninja' that's registered on the BCR which is from a crossing of  'Yamamoto's Grande'(?) x 'Takemura Grande'. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=6031#6031

Also, I came across an old thread on the Garden Web Forums which Chanin had posted back in 2008 and you can see quite a few plants there with nice leaf stacking but none as good as this one. See: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1770659/brom-show-and-contest-at-baan-and-suan-fair-thailand?n=34

Does Chanin have a Face Book site?

All the best, Nev
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:21:00 »

Hi Nev, yes he does have a FB page, I'm sure we are friends with him, I will check. Neo Ninja starts out green with perimeter edge leaf colour as per the top right plant in that BCR image you have the link to above and that's very similar ti the stacked version above with the leaf edge and tip. They really are almost unrecognisable in Thailand.
Ninja turns dark at flowering.
John.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:25:05 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 21:50:33 »

Hi everyone.

John - I've just found Chanin's face Book page and yes I am friends with him on Face Book. What I did when previously looking for him, instead of scrolling through the list of all my friends I typed his name in the search engine and that brought up another Chanin from Thailand who was another man altogether. Maybe the search engine was still searching when I closed it down thinking that I didn't have him as a Face Book friend after all. Anyway this morning I scrolled through the list of face Book friends and there he was. All I have to do now is find a few spare hours to look through all of the magnificent pictures he has posted (and there’s plenty to look at).

Now back to Neoregelia ‘Ninja’ again; I can understand what you say about the change of leaf formation and the foliage colour being due to climatic conditions, but what does puzzle me is the vast difference in the shape of the leaf tips. (See attachments for comparison)

Close up of Thai image of Neo. 'Ninja'

Please
register or login

Close up of BCR image of Neo. 'Ninja'

Please
register or login

Can this possibly be due to climatic conditions as well? If so I would be very reluctant to buy a plant based on a picture of a Thai grown example, I wouldn’t know what I would be likely to get.   

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:50:57 »

Yes a lot of ours are completely unrecognisable in Malaysia, and this is a real issue with registration and been able to ID them. I'm hoping to add some our images from the tropics to help to ID them in the future. We plan to visit Lyndi in Singapore this May do will check if she grows Ninja.

John.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 04:51:54 »

Hi all, Nev some images from Singapore. Lyndi has thrown out her original Neo Ninja, but has some variations of that plant. Both these she got from the Phillipines.

Neo Purple Ninja
Please
register or login

Neo Pink Ninja
Please
register or login

John.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 21:46:20 »

Hi everyone.

John - Neither 'Pink Ninja' or 'Purple Ninja' appear to be registered and that's where my confusion arises

The plant in the second picture ('Pink Ninja') looks very much like the unnamed plant in the picture I posted, and I now understand why the plant I posted doesn't look anything like the one on the BCR as they are obviously two different plants.

Neo. 'Ninja' is the Shiigi hybrid as registered on the BCR in 1979 and Neo. 'Pink Ninja' is a different (unregistered) plant possibly originating in the Phillipines and grown by Lyndi in Thailand.

All the best, Nev.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 21:52:11 »

No apparently they are all forms of Ninja that have varied. The plant is a bit unstable. Lyndi lives in Singapore. This pink version is through out Asia.
John.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 20:27:49 »

Hi everyone.

John – We know that the tropical climates seem to be the cause of the multiple leaf stacking and from reading what you say, these other variations of Neoregelia ‘Ninja” such as colour and leaf shape seem to be in Singapore, the Philippines and South East Asia which offers the question of whether this is all caused by the tropical environment as well.

Whatever the cause, the fact remains that Neoregelia 'Ninja' would have to be the "classic" example of bromeliad instability, and it will be very interesting to see what future generations of pups from these plants will produce.

The subject of instability in bromeliads is a very complicated yet interesting topic and I was going to add here some other information and pictures about an unstable Billbergia I have, but I think it will be more appropriate if I start another thread and see what other examples of instability in brom’s we can learn about; so everyone, please put on your "thinking caps" about other examples you can share with us.

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:49:21 »

Good idea Nev
John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: