Bromeliad Forum
December 14, 2017, 10:54:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I register this?  (Read 782 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« on: December 10, 2016, 02:31:00 »

Hi all, Here's a grex mate to Neo 'Jags Ziger', probably should be registered what does everyone think ?
if so need a name starting jags Z..... to match.

I have also posted this on Face Book, we will see what response it gets.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

-John
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:32:57 by jaga » Logged
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 12:24:06 »

Nope, no good. You had better send it to me to hide away from others.  Grin

Definitely needs to be registered.

Jags Zimmer: The description of a positive end result.
There are other meanings but to me, this one matches your plant.

Save water, shower with a friend.
Premium Advert
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 00:13:33 »

Hi everyone.

John - That's certainly a good looking plant and definitely worthy of a name; the thing is I just can't think of one. I like to have a name which fits with something about the plant or the plant's history (like Ziger which I see is an amalgamation of the parent's names zonata and Skotak's Tiger) and I know it's often some time before I can think of a name I'm satisfied with.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

All the best, Nev
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:21:31 »

Hi all so out of interest  Face Book post result to date shared to 4 groups as follows, you maybe in these groups so the link below will work, and if the group is 'public' it will work.

1-Kiwi bromeliad group
link www.facebook.com/groups/135600729852095/permalink/1210895438989280/?comment_id=1211601342252023&reply_comment_id=1213126655432825&ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment_mention&notif_id=1481512871853861

56 likes + comments

2- Planet Bromeliad group
link https://www.facebook.com/groups/planetbromeliad/1397191326981967/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1481329814117008

116 likes + comments

3-Tiger Hybrid & carcharodon Association "คนรักเสือด่าง"
link https://www.facebook.com/groups/1140864595942998/1511152092247578/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1481517603224296

14 likes

4- Bromelaid Singapore
link https://www.facebook.com/groups/113666942073128/permalink/1005510829555397/?comment_id=1005517426221404&notif_t=group_comment&notif_id=1481330624294865

4 likes

So from all this there is one other possible name to date to go with Kayleen's idea, 'Jags Zhark', which I thought was quite clever, any other thoughts?

cheers John.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 20:31:32 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 20:10:19 »

Hi everyone.

John - That's all good positive feedback; and although I've been downloading endless possibilities from my brain, I still can't find a suitable  name to meet your criteria.

All the best, Nev. 
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 21:03:36 »

That's no good Nev, its a tuff one, lots of "z", so something will stick. I thought of another this morning as our dog in an excited state did laps about the room, we call this a , 'zoommie', its not in the english dictionary but what does that matter these days, so hence 'jags Zoommie'

John
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 12:46:35 »

'Jags Zhark' is good.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 21:09:38 »

Hi all in the end came up with the simple name, 'Jags Zeal', http://registry.bsi.org/?fields=&id=13826&search=jags%20zeal

Thanks here for every ones input.

John.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 11:42:43 »

Well done being registered. Like the name too.
The BSQ Brisbane is requiring any plants put in the spring & autumn shows to be registered plants.
I very much doubt it will effect sales but there are a lot of people who like to put their plants into shows for judging.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 21:41:34 »

Kayleen - Do you know the reason behind the show committee making this rule? Having correct names on plants being exhibited has been a topic of discussion for a long time now and it first started as someone's idea to encourage people to only exhibit plants that had registered names.

It was also the topic of a very long (and sometimes heated discussion) on either this or the Garden Web Bromeliad Forum a few years back with many arguments for and against with by far the most being against.

The main argument from the person proposing the change was that it should encourage more people to register their plants and cut down on the thousands of nameless "orphans" currently in circulation. As I remember it, the general consensus was that it wouldn't work and the reasons why were many and varied but some of them which I remember are listed below:.

Who would police it? It would have to be the Show Secretary or someone under their control.

How would they police it? All plants to be exhibited would have to have the names checked against the BCR which would mean that there would need to be internet access at the show venue to check plants as they are booked in or a list of plants entries would have to be provided to officials at some pre-determined cut-off time prior to the show so they could all be checked off against the BCR. This would greatly increase the work load of those responsible for the registering of plant entries.

It would only encourage exhibitors to select and use any suitable name from the register which would then need to involve more than just checking a name: Anyone could pick a registered name from the BCR and put it on their otherwise un-named plant. This would mean a name check would show a legitimate name. To do it properly, part of the name check would need to include checking against photo’s and descriptions on the BCR as well as the name. (Even more time consuming)

If the plant looked similar to the one registered how could it be determined it wasn’t the same plant? Many of the old pictures on the BCR aren’t an accurate likeness and besides, it depends on what time of the year and what time during the plants maturity the photo was taken as colour and markings can vary greatly from season to season, as well as being influenced by where the plant was actually grown.
These were just a few of the many countless arguments put forward at the time that I can still remember and are in my own words to try and describe these arguments as I remember them.

My own personal view is this: I’m all for trying new things, after all if we had never tried anything new in the past, we would all still be sitting in caves eating raw meat.

A show isn’t just about competition among members; my view is that it’s mainly a way of promoting these wonderful plants to the general public and trying to encourage them to try growing one or two. Sometimes some very unusual and interesting plants appear on show benches without name tags or perhaps a beautiful specimen with just the genus name with a “?” after it and nothing more.  I don’t think members of the public care greatly whether the plants are named or not, they just want a chance to view their diversity and beauty.

I think to enforce this rule would just deprive the public of seeing these otherwise nameless plants. Besides, we all know how many beautiful NOIDS have appeared on these forum posts over the past years and even though they are nameless, it still doesn’t detract from their beauty or make them any less desirable.

I’m not convinced that introducing this rule will help cut back on people growing NOIDS, it may instead just reduce the number of show entries which will result in smaller shows and less for the public to see which I don’t think is a good result. Some will argue that quality is better than quantity, however we all know that there are many quality plants around that are not registered. I don't think the general public cares whether a plant has a name or not and after all they are our main customers.

All the best, Nev.

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 13:53:47 »

I agree with you Nev. They do have internet at these shows but as you said some of the pictures are so old that comparison would be hard.
Don't know if they will go ahead with it and I am not really concerned with it all as I think it will all become too much.
I think the idea behind it all is to get people to register plants.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 21:25:11 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - It will be interesting to see how it works out. If it will encourage more people to register their plants, well and good; but I doubt it will make a lot of difference.

Currently the on line process to register a plant is very simple and quick with help given by Geoff when required, and if people can't register their plants under these conditions, I don't see these changes to show rules will make much difference. Only time will tell.

All the best, Nev. 
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 02:34:26 »

Hi all The competitions are about showing off the best grown examples. In New Zealand, all plants must be registered to enter except for the 'New Zealand Hybrid' class and the Vriesea classes where cross names are allowed. In species class if the specie is not named it can have 'SP' on the label,I think in most cases these days plants are named and registered if good enough to enter, all plant names are checked on line here at the point of entry, if its incorrect/wrong label etc its got to be fixed or rejected. Wrong label includes or abbreviations, you must have the full correct up to date name. The rules are clearly set out in our journal so honestly don't see any issues with this ? My latest plant above took me 2 min on line and Geoff emailed later the same night to say it was up on the 'whats New', so its no hard ship at all.

Seasons greetings everyone & have a great 2017!!!

May there be many more posts, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: