Bromeliad Forum
October 23, 2017, 16:57:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing central pups from Vrieseas.  (Read 1123 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 22:32:02 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - It's all about knowledge sharing which is what these forums are based on.

Unfortunately many people read these posts but don't participate in return, just look at the statistics for this thread; read 140 times but still just the same four of us doing the posting, but then I guess that's life!

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 00:15:12 »

Good work Conrad, lots of valuable info there. There are some here that simply break then off including Andrew Maloy who has demo this many times but I have never photographed it. He seems to have a knack by twisting the pups from side to side at the base and they simply break free at the joint with all there roots and growing base undamaged. I have tried this a few times but not with great success and have had to resort to a sharp knife. As for above I can see why you divide the stem equally as simply cutting them off will damage the growing base and you need all you can get. Just to add I always dip the base into 'flowers of Sulphur' to prevent rot.

-John
Premium Advert
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 01:52:43 »

Thanks . I did like to ask as our mag goes to a few clubs and didn't want to give you a shock if you come across them.  Grin

Save water, shower with a friend.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 21:18:25 »

Thanks John,

I have lost many a pup trying to get it out of the mother plant by twisting, pulling or alternating wiggling. Normal Vrieseas pupping lower down are no problem, but those pupping from the centre of the mother plant are. Since doing it by chopping up the parent, I have at last increased my stock 3 fold over 2 years.

It would be wize to take all precautions with fungal rot, but I have, up to now, not had that problem.

Conrad
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: