Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:12:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some pics  (Read 579 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« on: October 15, 2016, 09:39:01 »

Hi all, A  fine period in a wet spring so far.
A few images taken today.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

3  Neo 'Jags Lot of Faith'
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

6 Neo 'Jags Rexja'
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

8  Neo zonata x 'Skotaks Tiger'
Please
register or login

9  Neo 'Royal Hawaiian'
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

John.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:02:14 by jaga » Logged
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 14:04:59 »

Some lovely toothy ones there.
John what is #5 please.
I potted up some Tiger pups last week.

Save water, shower with a friend.
Premium Advert
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 19:46:32 »

Hi Kayleen, it is actually my first cross using Neo spots and dots. The other Neo I will need to verify as it's name got changed, but no carcharodon in it.

John.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 23:05:12 »

Hi everyone.

John – There’s some nice plants there in your pictures; what’s the name of the plant in the first two pic’s and is it one of you hybrids as well?

I like the  Neo. ‘Jags Rexja’  and with a pedigree of  ‘Noble Descent’ and  ‘ Skotak's Tiger’ I imagine it can handle the strong light pretty well.

I also love the colour of the Neo zonata x 'Skotaks Tiger' as I’ve always been a bit partial to Neo’s in the “yellowish shades”. A couple of years back I did a cross with  Neo. Kautskyi  x ‘Noble Descent’ which I though had a bit of promise, however the container seems to have just vanished? 

The babies were almost touching the lid and I removed this and cut drainage holes in the container and put them out in the “baby area” with the other containers, but they just aren’t there. I remember I did a bit of culling, and put some containers to one side so I could get better access to the ones at back, and I’m thinking now I might have thrown that container out by mistake with a couple I was culling as I’ve searched everywhere and it’s nowhere to be found, so I guess I’ll never know what they would be like as I’m not doing it again.

Is the plant in picture 10 the same plant as in picture 8  (Neo zonata x 'Skotaks Tiger')or perhaps a grex mate? If so, that’s nice too.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 22:05:33 »

Hi all, Nev sorry about the slow reply, busy here with work. Yes lucky the 'Jags Rexja' has recovered got badly damaged in a frost 2 years back. As for image 8 verses 10 - all plants off same mother (not registered) which is a grex mate to 'Jags Ziger'.

Sorry to read that you lost that containers worth of seedlings, will turn up some where I hope as sounds a good cross and would be great to see the result.

John.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:25:07 »

Hi all A few more images.

Getting more red every day even though it flowered a year ago. The bite is back in the sun intensity.
Please
register or login

Another plant off same zonata x Skotaks Tiger, this time grown in the shade.

Please
register or login

This is a Neo 'Skotak Tiger' x 'Rainbow' seed from Lisa Vansant.
Please
register or login

John
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:24:51 by jaga » Logged
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 13:17:20 »

I like your 'Skotak Tiger' x 'Rainbow' seed from Lisa Vansant.  It has a lot more colour than the Skotak Tiger.
I will have to see what I have to do a cross with mine.

Save water, shower with a friend.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 20:23:05 »

Kayleen, Andrew Devonshire a past member of this forum got this seed and grew all these plants, I got 6 seedlings at the time, 3 of the above + 3 'Skotaks Tiger' x 'Silver' This one is in full sun. A number of people have tried to redo these crosses but have not got seed. There is some discussion that there are different clones of Skotaks Tiger, some with good zonation and colour others that are not well marked like the original one I collected here but mine can be hybridised with as others won't take so its seems there are pluses and minuses.

John
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 22:17:03 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - I reckon you should do a bit of crossing with your 'Skotak's Tiger' as that's the only way you'll know if it's one of those clones that will set seed; and besides, you are living in the right place with the right light to bring out the best colours in the progeny.

John - Thanks for the feedback. It is possible there are different clones of Skotak's Tiger or possibly even hybrids from it that look similar but don't produce viable seed. 

Lisa probably has a good clone as she would have contact with Chester and other well known hybridisers in the US and would have more chance of accessing a suitable clone that us growers "down under".

You are fortunate that your plant produces fertile seed so consequently you have just as much chance of "cracking" the good one as anyone else. So far the results of your breeding with it look very promising; keep up the good work.

Your pic's certainly demonstrate the advantages of growing in good light as opposed to poor light, and for anyone who didn't know all the facts, I think the plant in the second picture would finish up in the bin.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 22:52:02 »

Nev, all the above plants are at my fathers place not far from where we live. he wanted a good plant at his front door but I remember telling him at the time that its the shady side and most neo's will turn green there, so sure enough that's the result. i moved it so we will see how fast it colours back up. The Skotaks tiger we have here was collected directly from Brazil not from Chester. Having said that no one else here seems to have got seed from it as well so Im a little perplexed. Mine was not a fluke as crossed over 3 generations.

John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: