Bromeliad Forum
November 20, 2017, 20:21:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCBS and bromeliad registration systems  (Read 594 times)
dan

« on: September 29, 2016, 01:01:32 »

I am getting back into Bromeliads now that I have my own garden so please forgive the flurry of activity on my account.

I was hoping someone out there could help me to understand the Bromeliad cultivar/hybrid registration system. Not because I would want to register anything myself but more so because I am  interested in verifying the genetic lineage of plantst. It seems these days people just make up their own names for  hybrids and put them on ebay etc. I see this as a problem with Neo's in particular. I have no idea what most of my neos are called (if they are 'regsitered') and the neo database is so huge I don't think I would even try.

That is not to say that those unregistered hybrids are bad or that people shouldn't be able to give their creations unregistered names. Many unregistered plants are very nice, and indeed many registered hybrids seem very ordinary or at least unoriginal.

I am only really familiar with the FCBS database? Is this the only system out there?

I know from some prior posts on these sorts of forums this can be a contentious topic.  Certainly I think any bromeliad which is widely circulated should be able to be registered but it definitely seems that as more people have a hand at hybridising  the data bases are increasingly more problematic.

Maybe the best option is to simply buy from a reliable source?
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 01:51:01 »

Hi Dan, no easy answer to above, it relies on hybridizers honesty and in a lot of cases the registration can also lead to dead ends as far as lineage is concerned as it simply has 'unknown' as the parent. The only sure fire method is DNA testing which is not available. Heres another site which is more up to date and current, link http://registry.bsi.org/
I would also suggest by putting your plants up here you may get some identifications. also Dan no worries with as many topics you want to discuss here relating to Broms, keep them rolling!

Cheers John.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:53:50 by jaga » Logged
Premium Advert
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 22:21:21 »

Hi everyone.

Dan -  Firstly please don’t worry about the “flurry of activity on your account” as you put it; I’m sure that like me, everyone’s delighted to see someone new posting and making things more interesting, and it’s my hope (as I said in another post) that you continue to contribute because up till now there’s just been the same four of us “holding the fort” and then Conrad had his accident and now there are just three of us until he fully recovers, so your contributions are very, very welcome.

What you say about people selling plants with unregistered names ("pet names" or "nurseryman's names" as they collectively called) is a very big problem for growers who are interested in maintaining a collection of correctly named plants and it’s getting worse every day. Fortunately it’s often possible to find the correct names by posting pictures on forums like this, Face Book bromeliad sites or by searching the B.C.R. or F.C.B.S. files.

My understanding is, regarding bromeliad registration you need to be clear on the fact that there is only one site where plant names can officially be registered and that’s the Bromeliad Cultivar Register (B.C.R.)

It’s compiled and maintained by the Bromeliad Society International and is the only International Cultivar Registration Authority for Bromeliaceae, appointed by the International Society for Horticultural Science's Commission for Nomenclature and Cultivar Registration.  Publication of bromeliad cultivar photographs and relevant information on any other website do not constitute registration.

Although the F.C.B.S. photo Indices are a magnificent resource and contain much of the same information as shown on the B.C.R., there are some plants appearing on there with names that aren’t officially registered and cannot be registered officially on that site.

The F.C.B.S. also has a species photo index which is “second to none” and is the “Grower’s Bible” for growers of species, and besides this there is also a magnificent cultivar photo index as well. There is also a wealth of other written material in the Bromeliad Information section including a very useful 44 page glossary of bromeliad terms, so it’s a wonderful informative site for growers of all genera.

The B.C.R. is just what it says: and is a register of cultivars and doesn’t contain a species index although species information is recorded where they are used in the breeding of hybrids or appear as cultivars that aren’t hybrids.  It is also a wealth of information and considered the “Breeders Bible” as it contains such an enormous amount of information on parentage as well as thousands of pictures which make it a most valuable resource for breeders and researchers alike.

I hope this explanation helps you to understand the function of these sites more clearly and if I’ve got anything wrong, I’m sure John, Kayleen or other members will be able to correct me.

All the best, Nev.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:18:30 by splinter1804 » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 18:06:15 »

Welcome Dan.

We appreciate a "flurry of activity on Your account"! If you ask some of the members we almost demand it. Any question is welcomed. Your query is a  point in case, and masterfully answered by Nev!

We often forget how complicated the FCBS site can be. But remember that I see thousands of unregistered so-called "named" cultivars on facebook that are also offered for sale. They go with no genealogy and no info on who the hybridizer is. When buying plants I always check the FCBS and it the plant is not there, I evaluate the pros and cons of buying that plant. But please note. Some of those unregistered plants are really good. Especially the Neoregelias and Tillandsias.

Again welcome.

Conrad
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 23:34:22 »

Welcome Dan. Good to have another person on board.

When I buy plants I buy by eye appeal. As I am not a hybridizer it is not a worry for me.
As I sell plants, I do try to use the right names and if not, I will just put noid on the tag. At least that way they hopefully will not be given a pet name down the track.

Save water, shower with a friend.
dan

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 01:36:02 »

Thanks for the feedback I will keep that in mind and check BSI index first.

Yes I will take a couple of photos of the ones I am interested in ID'ing and post
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: