Bromeliad Forum
November 20, 2017, 20:21:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: October sale.  (Read 246 times)
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« on: September 17, 2016, 14:02:41 »

Getting plants ready for our club Bromeliad & Foliage Frenzy.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Amazing what morning sun will do.

VR Guttata
Please
register or login

This is another plant I have had for years with never a flower so that is why I put it out in the sun. Well it grew another 3 pups. LOL

Save water, shower with a friend.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 22:03:12 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - Is that a collective group of members' plants or just your own lot?

How do you work the Bromeliad & Foliage Frenzy, is it similar to a sales section at the show or is it done differently? I'm always looking for ideas we can use at our society so any info about something different is always handy.

I love the picture of your Vr. Guttata; what a change to the normal drab colouring we usually see. Although it has a great inflorescence I've always thought the colouring was very washed out in appearance. How long was this plant growing in full morning sun before a colour change occurred, did it come over a period of years as new pups emerged?

I have three plants of Vr. Guttata and although they do flower occasionally, it's not as often as I would like and if I can get some great colour into my plants like you have, I'd be very satisfied. It never occurred to me to try more light as I just grow mine with the other Vrieseas and Guzmanias on the southern (shady) side of the house beneath 75% green shade cloth where they flower occasionally and as the colour and flowering frequency is similar to plants grown by other growers, I thought this was an unchangeable “norm”.

I have found with this plant though, if there is a stray Grasshopper or Katydid around, this is the plant they preferentially attack before anything else. About five years ago I had a plant with five beautiful spikes with flowers just starting to open which I had planned to take to the brom meeting the following day for the “Popular Vote” point-score. When I went to box it up next morning, every spike had been chewed halfway through and they were all hanging limply on the plant; it’s a wonder you didn’t hear what I said in Queensland! It was made worse by the fact that I’d never seen a Grasshopper or Katydid for months since I started using Clensel as a deterrent, so I had just stopped using it a couple of weeks before. The lesson here is to keep it up as maintenance if nothing else.

Thanks for the picture and the tip, it certainly has opened my eyes.

All the best, Nev.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:44:22 »

Nev I put it out during Autumn and it just gradually went that colour. No Burning, not that I was too worried as I had plenty of plants to experiment with.
I was told there are 2 clones of this plant, the one shown here and the one that gets pale pink spikes on it. This plant is the same colour but the one I have has not many spots of colour on it. It doesn't send out heaps of pups like the other one either I have found. 3 pups on the plant I bought.

I can imagine your disappointment on finding your plant eaten. I have had the same with a couple of my plants.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 02:21:27 »

Sorry Nev I didn't answer all your Questions.
They are all my plants with more to come yet. I am getting over cleaning plants very quickly.

This is our 4th sale. It is held in a school hall that we are lucky enough not to have to pay for but we give their gardening committee the proceeds of our raffle as a thank you. This raffle is donated plants, paintings & craft items from members selling plants. Last year I think it was just over $1000.00 donated from the raffle..
We start setting up Friday afternoon and cleanup on Sunday afternoon.  This sale is just for our club members who give the club 10% of their sales. Last year we sold about $25000 worth of plants. The main plants have to be broms but the foliage part allows us to sell all our other plants. I think this is a big draw card of the sale.
We are lucky to have Len & Sheryl Waite as members of our club and their beautiful plants are much sought after. They have a great following as they do most of the local & country plant shows. They also do a lot of hybridising.
We advertise on other club sites, put out flyers and street signage to get it out there.

Hope this answers your question. Any other info you need just ask.

When the doors open at 8am we have a rush of people and you can see the tables emptying.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 03:21:46 »

Kayleen, there is a lot of plants you have there, can see the cleaning task would have added up to a few days effort. Its a lot to cram into a car, assume you must have a Trailor or a ute?should fill a large table and earn some spending money. Also will make space at your home for more.

Cheers John
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 13:29:50 »

Those plants are the clean ones John. A few more to come yet.
We have a twin cab ute with a canopy I put on as needed. Takes about 4 trips to get the plants there so lucky we are only 15mins away.
Amazing what can be fitted in the back & also the cab.

Most only need a hose out as they are under shade cloth. The hardest is the ones with scale but I have found if I soak them over night most hose off next day. Only takes a bit to finish the cleaning then.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: