Bromeliad Forum
November 21, 2017, 16:24:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illawarra Bromeliad Society annual spring show  (Read 924 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« on: September 14, 2016, 23:39:40 »

Hi everyone.

Well it's all over now for another year and of course I'm talking about the recent annual spring show and all of the preparation that goes with it. It's a "mad time"; when bromeliad growers are feverishly running around looking for plants that might be good enough to enter in the various divisions. All of the preparatory jobs such as washing, trimming, cleaning, topping up, pot cleaning and everything  that goes with trying to make a plant presentable for showing are now finished for another year.

The show is over and the results are in, some growers are happy others disappointed; but overall everyone seems satisfied with the standard of the show that we as a society presented to the public to promote these wonderful, varied and versatile plants.

Apart from the individual exhibition plants, there is also another very important part of the show and that is the combined main display. This is realm of one lady member who along with various helpers is responsible for “pulling the rabbit out of the hat” each year. It’s this lady who is the unsung hero of the display and who dreams up the various themes, year in and year out and from the picture in her mind, throughout the year she prepares the various props required for such a display.

It all seems simple enough, you have a plan and you just work to it; but no, there’s much more to it than that, as the display plan must be flexible enough to cope with many changes as it’s not known what plant material will be available until the day of the show. The plants are an unknown quantity, as these are all loaned by different members who each contribute one or a few plants toward the display, so it’s not know what plants will be available until they land on the floor on the day of the show.

It then becomes a “giant jigsaw” with the framework in place but all of the “holes” still to be filled in with the most suitable plants and this all requires the skill and experience of this one lady who has done it every year, ever since I joined as a member many years ago. I won’t mention her name as it would embarrass her, and besides she would probably kill me anyway; but all of the members know who she is and I’ll leave it up to you to judge the quality of her work as I share with you some pictures of this year’s display which had a Vietnamese theme.

We’ll start with the first picture as we look through the “rising mist” (which was a great attraction for kids as it appeared randomly and unexpectedly)

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

I'll finish up with a picture of the lady responsible for all of the above work, taken in last year's display with her scarecrow friend.

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:24:14 »

Amazing Display!!!! , what a great effort by all involved I can see it would take a great deal of planning and organising to sort . Looks a very large display and must have taken just as long to take it all apart as to create ?. Some very impressive props + mist special effect. I like the colourful gardening doll theme and those ducks, ties the display together and adds a new dimension. That display is going to be tuff to beat. The Broms also look "Top Notch" Nev thanks for sharing all these images with us, well documented. I Know there is more to come especially the plant competition........ and your efforts.

Cheers John
Premium Advert
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 11:59:22 »

Lovely display and plants Nev. I could imaging how the kids were waiting for the mist. lol
Yes much hard work goes into those displays. The BSQ puts an entry in the Brisbane Royal Show every year and also does displays at the Spring & Autumn shows. I don't envy the people doing them.

Save water, shower with a friend.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:01:21 »

Hi everyone - Here's a few more pic's of our recent show. Unfortunately the quality of the pic's is quite poor as I didn't realise how unsteady on my feet I've become since last year; next year I'll take a tripod and hopefully eliminate some of the blurring.

Grand Champion of show and Best Billbergia 'Tarantella'
Please
register or login

Best Tillandsia and Best Species of show and Catherine (Rena) Wainwright Memorial Award
Please
register or login

Billbergia class 3rd Bill Hallelujah (front left and 2nd place Bill. 'Super Grace' (right rear)
Please
register or login

Miniature Neoregelia 1st Neo 'Shamrock'
Please
register or login

Miniature Neoregelia 2nd (unknown)
Please
register or login

Miniature Neo. 3rd 'Turmoil'
Please
register or login

Aechmea 3rd Aechmea recurvata
Please
register or login

Neoregelia 1st Neo. (Charm x Cracker Jack) x Self

Please
register or login

Neoregelia 2nd Neo Bevvie Bee
Please
register or login

Neoregelia 3rd Neo Bea Hanson x Rosea Striata
Please
register or login

Multiple Clump 3rd Aechmea recurvata
Please
register or login

That's it for today, some more yet to come.

All the best, Nev.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:44:28 »

Hi Nev, You have already 'let the cat out of the bag' to me so I know these are all yours. A very deserving Win ! Especially the Grand Champion of show and Best Billbergia 'Tarantella' well done, looks in excellent condition you have done very well.

I suspect Neo 'Bea Hanson' x 'Rosea Striata' &  Neo. (Charm x Cracker Jack) x Self both need to be registered ? I favour that 'Bea Hanson' x 'Rosea Striata', its the wrong way round but wondered about 'Rosy Bea'

I still think that unknown is also Neo 'shamrock'

Images all look Ok to me, do you have another image of that Bill. 'Super Grace' ? looks very nice as well.

A Big congrats Nev! now you need to have a follow up next year.

regards John
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:41:43 »

Hi Everyone.

John – Those plants aren’t all mine, just the few I told you about.

Like you, I too favour the 'Bea Hanson' x 'Rosea Striata' over (‘Charm’ x ‘Cracker Jack’) x Self; however it was a show, and point allocation came into it.

Because we had a very cold winter this year resulting in a lot of cold damage, one of the bottom leaves of the 'Bea Hanson' x 'Rosea Striata' had to be removed because it was so badly marked and it was this that cost it first place as it ruined the plant’s conformity. If I’d left the leaf on, it would have lost just as many points so I was snookered which ever way I went.

Unfortunately the fluorescent lights in the hall “kill the colours” of all plants, and even normally I have difficulty capturing the reds accurately with my camera so the colours are all wrong. I tried taking some more pic’s at home and although an improvement, the colour of the (‘Charm’ x ‘Cracker Jack’) x Self still isn’t accurate as it's more of a plum colour.

I’m posting some more pic’s taken at home plus a couple of extras, one is a little seedling of 'Prince of Darkness' x 'Sparkling Burgundy' which could turn out OK and the other is ‘Thunder Bird’ x ‘Lambert’s Pride’  which although nothing in the shape stakes, it does have an unusual tomato red colouring.

All the best, Nev.

Neo. ('Charm' x 'Cracker Jack') x Self

Please
register or login

Neo. 'Bea Hanson' x 'Rosea Striata'.

Please
register or login

Neo. 'Prince of Darkness' x 'Sparkling Burgundy'

Please
register or login

Neo. 'Thunder Bird' x 'Lambert's Pride'

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:26:15 »

Yes Nev get what you mean about Neo. 'Bea Hanson' x 'Rosea Striata'., can now see the form is out of wack a bit and the Neo. ('Charm' x 'Cracker Jack') x Self, is much redder in the higher light. Its always a gabble removing leaves as its hard to get away with it with the judges. I remember entering a two headed Vriesea ospinea var gruberi in flowering, the plant had flowered many times before thus had a 500 long stalk, I thought nothing of it but the judges counted up all the missing leaf axials and deducted a point for each, ended up with -45 even though the flower spikes looked great.

Can see the last 2 neo's look good prospects, 'Lamberts pride' can give some nice reds and good form.

Regards John.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:57:42 »

They are all lovely plants Nev.
Know what you mean about colour in photos.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 22:58:22 »

Hi everyone - Here's a few more from the show; they are a random lot this time which unfortunately I wasn't able to get names for, although you will probably recognise some of them.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 23:22:31 »

Some lovely plants there Nev.
Any idea of the 7th plants name.
The Blushing Tiger will always be one of my favourites.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 23:42:49 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - That plant in Pic 7 is a young plant of Fosterella spectabilis. It is one of hundreds grown from seed off a friends plant.

I have an old plant myself which I grew from seed and which I've had for years, and each year when the new pup flowers, it self pollinates, produces seed and everywhere it drops it seems to germinate.

Last year I had them coming up in pots and in the ground all over the area beneath the hanging plant and after I pulled them all out I noticed that last year it didn't produce any babies, so maybe I should have left a few.

Below is my plant in its first year of flowering after growing from seed.

Fosterella spectabilis

Please
register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 07:01:25 »

Hi Nev, do you have any other of the Fosterella genus ?, must require warm conditions as see they come from Peru ? They have nice flowers but the foliage is quite plain from what I see.

John
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 06:12:47 »

Hi everyone.

John - I had another three or four different ones which I gave away. Although they grew alright in my conditions, they were pretty "ordinary looking" plants and the flowers were quite insignificant and were pretty much of botanical interest only.

A friend who grows them gave me the seed to see if I could grow them, and I've never seen seed with such a germination rate. I reckon if I'd scatted it on the lawn they would have eaten the grass, I think every seed germinated.

Just a pity they weren't a bit more spectacular looking.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 08:57:43 »

Yes my thoughts as well Nev, thanks.
Premium Advert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: