Bromeliad Forum
October 20, 2017, 10:44:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few flowering plants  (Read 684 times)
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« on: September 09, 2016, 14:16:37 »

VR Dusty Shadow coming into flower.  The pic doesn't do this justice. Will try again later for a better pic.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
Gusvriesea.
Please
register or login
I won this one and Dusty Shadow in raffles.
Please
register or login

Nev this is the flower on the Gusmania we were discussing the name of.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Save water, shower with a friend.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 21:08:36 »

Very interesting Kayleen, that's a nice combo on that xgusvriesia flower!. The Guzmania flower also does not disappoint!. Maybe a cross between the 2? I did find a similar looking Guzzy here in the shops but its only 200 high , leaf colour and marking was only to half the leaf with the rest green. yours looks a bigger size and fully coloured, certainly a very nice plant.

Image below of one I saw, did not buy it. Also had no name.
Please
register or login

John
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 21:14:26 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 00:42:20 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - That’s a nice little collection of plants you have there, especially the bi-generic Guzvriesea. Althoyugh they aren’t too common around here I have seen some very nice ones with unusual colours and shapes, in fact some have been quite amazing. I have one coming into flower now which I got following the recommendation by the owner of a bromeliad nursery, it isn’t out yet but the colours of the (as yet closed) bracts are a very dark ?purple which look almost black and I eagerly await it coming to maturity to see the true colour.

A very close friend brought one in to a meeting she had received as a gift from a friend in Melbourne and although nice but nothing “mind boggling” the amazing fact is that it was in full flower when she received it, and was still in full colour fifteen months when she brought it to the meeting with the bracts just starting to show the discolouration of decline.   

I had never though a plant of this type would last in colour for so long, but then when I checked my date records of a very common Guz. lingulata (species) I had growing in the garden beside a bird bath I found it had been in colour for over a year also, so maybe there are some of this genera which have abnormally long lives as far as retaining the colour of their bracts.

Your flower of the plant we were discussing is different to the one I have (unless yours isn’t fully mature yet), and although I don’t have a pic of my own plant, below is one I found on “Google” which shows it as it is and the name is Guz. Limones although strangely it has a European patent as Guz. 'Susanne'.
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=GUZMANIA&id=2567#2567

My plant wasn’t fully out when I bought it and I was initially attracted to the striated red colouring of the foliage (your picture 5) thinking it may have been unique to this plant but I have since found it pretty common with many of these “generically named” plants on offer at Bunnings and similar stores.

John – I’ve recently seen photos of a group of miniature flowering Guzmanias in a discussions on one of the sites I visit (unfortunately I should have saved the info as I haven’t been able to find it again since). But the total height of these plants from base to top of inflorescence was only about 8”. 

One of the comments insinuated this was a result of treating the immature plants with Ethephon which is a plant growth regulator used by some professional bromeliad nurseries to bring batches of plants all into flower at the same time and it was being used on immature plants and when the next generation of pups grew they would be normal size.

I have also seen on another site where Chester Skotak has been following a line of Guzmania breeding to breed miniature plants and In no way am I suggesting Chester is treating his plants as above.  There are natural miniature species such as Lingulata minor and I suspect this would be somewhere in the linage of these crosses, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what surprises Chester has in store for us. I also think that Deroose or some of the large European nurseries are also following this line of breeding, so we’ll just have to wait and see what is produced there also.

This the Guzvriesea my friend got as a gift and was so long lasting

Please
register or login

Guzmania Limones

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:16:33 »

That is a very immature flower Nev so I will take a pic when it comes out better but from memory it looks like the pic you posted.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:43:11 »

Seems we have quite a few Vriesea starting to flower, here's a few to keep this post going.

Vriesea 'crimson Lace' in front.

Please
register or login

vriesea 'Mystic Tango', 2 images

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Vriesea 'Flare Hybrid'

Please
register or login

Another 'Flare hybrid', big variation between the two plants here.

Please
register or login

Vriesea 'Lucky Charm'

Please
register or login

Vriesea 'Yellow Wave x fenestralis

Please
register or login

Vriesea 'Star Hybrid'

Please
register or login

vriesea 'Kiwi Lime Sundae'

Please
register or login

I will add in the names tomorrow. John
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 00:28:21 by jaga » Logged
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 08:06:52 »

Vriesea 'Art Deco', this one is in full sun.

Please
register or login

Cheers - John
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:26:02 »

Species, Vriesea elata, seems to go into flower nearly every year.

Please
register or login

John.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:57:34 by jaga » Logged
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:24:17 »

A lot of mine are flowering too. Must be the season. Grin

Nev, Limones rings a bell. Mine is just a ball of red on top now it is flowering. Will take a pic tomorrow.
John this Guz would be about 50/60cm high. Love all your Vriesea. I am going to get a few after this sale as I have a lot more room now.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 23:59:40 »

Hi everyone.

John – I don’t know how, but I missed the post of yours on the 16th Sept., I expect I was still in “clean up mode” after the show and not spending much time on the computer, anyway I see it now and am I glad I found it because you have a wonderful lot of plant pictures there to share with us.

My two favourites are without a doubt Vr. 'crimson Lace' and Vr. 'Star Hybrid' and I’m amazed they aren’t registered; are they your hybrids? If so I think you need to register them as they are both worthy of a name and are better quality than many others which have been named in the past.

The other one that puzzles me a bit is Vr. 'Mystic Tango', I’m a bit surprised that a plant with so much white in the foliage can survive when others with even less white, often don’t. Maybe it’s “supernatural”, hence the connection to the word “Mystic” in the name. Who is the breeder?

There’s also a quite a bit of class in the two very different “flare hybrids”; again who was the breeder, or in all cases is it you, and your just too shy to say so?

Finally another nice plant and also unregistered. Is Vr. 'Kiwi Lime Sundae' one of Andrew Maloy’s? It looks either the same plant or a grex mate of the rear plant in picture one.   

You have managed much better colour in your Vr. ‘Art Deco’ than the one shown on the BCR, where was it grown?

As for Vr. Elata, it’s an amazing plant; it flowers and pups for me every year without fail and each third year will produce two pups, one in the middle of the plant and another at the side of the base which is easily removed and because of this I’ve gradually built up a small collection of them. What really amazes me is the length of time the bracts stay in colour, and by the time they are dying the new spike is almost coloured up giving you colour almost for the whole year; certainly one that should be in every collection.

Kayleen – I’m looking forward to seeing your Limone’s flower, I find it very hard to flower here but it more than makes up for it with the beautiful striated foliage.

I meant to mention previously, there was an unusual Vriesea species exhibited in our show this year unfortunately not flowering so it's not much to look at but it was Vr. Altodaserrae, one I haven’t heard of or seen around here before. Do you or John know anything about it, i.e. is it common in your areas or your collections?

I couldn't find any pictures except these two on a google search which shows a plant in habitat and some seedlings in a pot germinating. There is a picture of the total plant with inflorescence and flowers on the F.C.B.S. site which is number 2 in the Vriesea species photo index.

All the best, Nev.

Vr. Altodaserrae

Please
register or login

Vr. Altodaserrae seedlings

Please
register or login

Vr. Altodaserrae in habitat

Please
register or login
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 12:22:48 »

Vr. Altodaserrae looks a big plant Nev.

Vr. 'Mystic Tango surprised me too with all that white.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 07:01:41 »

hi all, finally got round to replying.

Nev, you may also have missed this one http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=2772.msg17042;topicseen#msg17042

They are all Hybrids we got off Andrew & Rhonda Maloy, none are registered and they have indicated that its up to me. Here lies the dilemma, each one of the above came from grexes of several hundred plants so unless one is significantly different to the bulk then its not worthy. We will discuss re a few with the Maloys, especially the ones with the Kiwi prefix once the plants have a stable round of pups

The white ones, which there are now many, in general seem to grow just as well as the colours, all these came from crossing with Vriesea 'Snowman', which is registered. Simply the leaves start out with some green and pink that disappears as the plant matures in high light. As far as 'Mystic Tango' is concerned, there were 2 plants that we saw to choose from at the Maloy sales last year, so we picked this one as it had better form.

Nev you said, "Finally another nice plant and also unregistered. Is Vr. 'Kiwi Lime Sundae' one of Andrew Maloy’s? It looks either the same plant or a grex mate of the rear plant in picture one".
No Nev, the green vriesea in image one is a 'big responsibility', its the only one, named Kiwi 'Green Lady', its a very nice vriesea for sure, My wife rushed about at the sales and snapped this one up. At this stage seems a slow a  grower but has fantastic markings. We are going to get Rhonda to give us the cross names for this and the others above when we visit them soon.

That Art Deco is a plant I gave my Father as a young pup, its been in full all day sun at his place from dawn to dusk. If you put them out in early spring some vriesea seem to build a tolerance even to the high summer UV here. Pups off this should be strong as well, pity I just cant fling one to each of you.

That Vr. Altodaserrae is a very nice species, with great spear shaped leaves. Had one once but hates the cold so rotted out and we haven't replaced it, several people tried crossing with it here but not very good results. I do like the John Arden plant 'Starlight'  http://registry.bsi.org/?fields=&id=9132&search=Altodaserrae

By the way been raining here now for a month straight!, not good for the garden broms. how did you guys in Aust go with the storm there?, going to hit here on sunday.

Cheers John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:07:55 by jaga » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 00:47:27 »

Hi everyone.

John - Thanks for answering all my questions and tell your wife I think she has exceptional taste in quality broms as that plant of Kiwi 'Green Lady' was one that really "jumped out at me" as well.

After looking at John Arden's Vr. 'Starlight', I have to agree it's a quite impressive plant but surprisingly when I look at the BCR here are only two registrations using it as a parent, so maybe a possible track to investigate in the future?

As for the storms that devastated South Australia and were supposedly heading our way, fortunately they went out to sea before it reached us so it looks like we've "dodged another bullet".

All the best, Nev.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: