Bromeliad Forum
September 20, 2017, 18:22:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini  (Read 757 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 09:10:46 »

Hi All, Nev this is the only image I can find of the grex mate to Jags 'Bright Spark', I remember it flowered in spring last year so had not regained its colour. will have to wait to the above pup matures to get some good images.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

A Further grex mate to above, this one is quite different with the purple colouring

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

-John

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 09:05:55 »

OK more from conservatory area,

Another ampulacea x 'Little Dazzler', Our cross, not registered

Please
register or login

Neo Cayenne x Hannibal Lector Hy, Our cross, not registered

Please
register or login

Another Neo Cayenne x Hannibal Lector Hy, Our cross, not registered

Please
register or login

Neo punctate red x blushing Tiger. Our cross, not registered

Please
register or login

This one may eventually get bigger than 200 but hope not, seems as though its done growing to me, Neo Royal Hawaiian x punctate red. Our cross, not registered

Please
register or login

Neo crispata x Jags Marmadazzler. Our cross, not registered

Please
register or login

Neo 'Life Force', by Andrew Devonshire

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Neo Zeppo, Chester Skotak cross

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Cheers John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:49:42 by jaga » Logged
Premium Advert
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 12:07:33 »

I will have one of each please John.   Wink They are stunning.

How do you get your Hannibal Lector to flower. I have had one for 10 yrs, puts out lots of pups but no flowers.

Save water, shower with a friend.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 21:10:25 »

Hi Kayleen, thanks for your comments. Yes HL is tuff to flower, its the same here. In my case I used a hybrid , I have a lot of the HL about 40 plants, none have flowered but I have seen it flowering  here. Some people use florel
to fire them up. Its interesting that the crosses using HL all seem to flower at will. In the case above I used HL x fosters concentrica(not registered).

Cheers John.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 01:04:06 »

Hi everyone.

John – That’s a “cracking” lot of new hybrids you have there.

In your post of September 09, I especially like the dark purple in the other grex mate to Jags 'Bright Spark' in pictures 2 and 3.  The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was Neo. smithii  which Lisa used with great success to get ‘Blueberry Muffin’, ‘Blueberry Smoothie’ and  ‘Blueberry Tart’. Have you considered crossing it with your plant? I reckon it’s worth thinking about.

From your next lot of pictures I like the two Neo punctate red crosses the best, great colour and I imagine you have something planned for them in the future as well.

I like Andrew’s  Neo. ‘Life Force’ just as much now as I did when I first saw it, it’s a great little plant; is it included in your breeding programme also?

As for Neo ‘Zeppo’ I’m not as keen on this as I was when I first saw it and I think the reason is that although there’s no doubt that Chester Skotak is the “master” in this colour range, he has now registered so many (45) with  (carolinae variegated x Hannibal Lecter) in the breeding  that plants like ‘Zeppo’,  ‘wild rabbit’, ‘groucho’ and ‘Gotcha’, to mention just a few; all start to look the same after a while and the initial novelty of something new and different starts to wear off.

There are exceptions to all rules of course and the same parent has been involved in some magnificently coloured crosses with my favourites being : ‘Amorosa’, ‘Bold Zebra’, ‘Fantabulous’,  ‘Lucifer’, ‘Skotak's Mirage’ and ‘Taser’ which unfortunately are well and truly out of my budget range.

Kayleen – I bought a plant of ‘Hannibal Lector’ from a reputable bromelid nurseryman and I have no doubt it was the “real deal”. I can honestly say I never really liked the plant and only bought it for breeding purposes, but I had no trouble flowering it or the other plants I grew from its pups, and they always flowered freely as soon as they reached maturity.

The only problem I had with it, was the difficult access to the flowers being so deep down in the centre of a tight vase area; that combined with the nerve problem I have with my hands I found it impossible to work with the flowers so I gave the plant to a fellow brom hybridizer in Cairns as she was into breeding anything with prickles and in particular, she was looking for a genuine ‘Hannibal Lector’ to use as a parent at that time.

As John says, “Some people use Florel” to force flowering, but personally I wouldn’t do this as it’s just concealing what I consider to be a defect if the particular plant is difficult to flower.

It is great to see the quality in both shape and colour continually improving in miniature Neo’s, and as more and more people move away from houses and into units and flats and space gets less, mini’s are just going to become more and more popular with increasing demand. ………..”Long live the hybridizer”.

I’ll just finish with a few mini’s and midi's from our recent show. Sorry about the picture quality, but I didn't realise how unsteady I am compared to last year, should have taken a tripod.

Neo. Unknown
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Bevvie Bee'
Please
register or login

Neo 'Rosella'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Shamrock'

Please
register or login

Neo. 'Small World'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Strawberries and Cream'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Thunderbird x 'Gold Fever' One of my own crosses
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Turmoil'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Domino' (Left)  Neo 'Dinkum' (Right)
Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 05:56:10 »

Thanks Nev. The purple one ( that I call 132 for hybridizing) that you suggest cross with smithii was done, just can t find them!!, a real sign that there is to many. Lol. The following images are of other crosses with that plant all waiting to be sorted out.

Please
register or login

Close up of each community pot starting from the left.
Neo 132 x Little Dazzler.

Please
register or login

Middle pot
Neo 132 x punctate red

Please
register or login

Right side pot
Neo 132 x Wee Willy

Please
register or login

That's a good lot of minis from the show, I like that 'thunder bird x gold fever, do you have a side on view?.

Nev my skotak minis were all swaps, I think everyone would agree with your comment about the market being flooded with them. I shall add what else I have next.

John.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:14:20 by jaga » Logged
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 10:52:20 »

You may have some winners in those crosses John.
Another thing with a lot of Skotak crosses is they throw many plain pups as they are not stable.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 00:36:41 »

Hi everyone.

John - That's a nice, interesting looking lot of babies there. Now for the exciting bit, the separating and growing on to see how they progress into maturity, and of course the painful part, the culling.

I don't have a side view of 'Thunderbird' x 'Gold Fever' as I only ever take pic's from the top unless there are some interesting features on the underside of the leaves, but I'll try and get a pic over the weekend.

Kayleen - What you say about the instability of some of the Skotak variegated plants is also true of many other plants with variegations, that's why I lost interest in them. When I first bred a few variegated seedlings, I was "over the moon" and thought I was pretty clever, but as they pupped and each pup showed different patterns as did many other well-known variegated plants I had purchased, I didn’t see a very interesting future in that type of plant.

Why waste time and money trying to grow a plant nicely only to find it doesn’t consistently produce a pup with the same markings as the one you bought. I now this can be said of many types of Neo’s but it’s much more prevalent in the variegated types.

Even plants that have been around for years such as Neo ‘Perfection’ which was first registered in 1978, (almost thirty years ago), still continues to produce NOVARS.

There’s nothing so disappointing than to buy an expensive plant only to find the pups don’t come true to the parent. I found this not long after I first started growing brom’s when I spent $35 (quite a bit of money back then) on a pup of Neo. ‘Royal Burgundy Supreme’ only to find that every pup it ever produced for me was a NOVAR! 

The only upside is, you can take a picture of a good one, as that’s the only evidence you have that won’t change.

All the best, Nev.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 13:43:21 »

I took 7 pups off Perfection today and luckily only 1 was a nova.
Nev do they have a name or just Perfection nova on the tag?

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 00:12:30 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen – Your question of what to call the NOVAR pup is what led me to my first ever search of the BCR and FCBS sites and what I feel has contributed greatly to my loss of hair.

This plant has had several (unofficial) name changes since I started to grow it; when I bought my first plant it came with the name of Neo ‘Fosperior Perfecta’. I later learned this was incorrectly written as it should have been Neo ‘Fosperior Perfection’.

Later I was corrected by an “experienced” grower who said the correct name was Neo. ‘Fosterior Perfection’ as it was named after Mulford Foster the hybridizer. It was at this stage I came into possession of a computer and access to the internet and had just discovered the FCBS and the BCR. Up until then all identification was done from books and suggestions by more learned growers.

After a short search through the “F’s” in the BCR I eventually found Neo. ‘Fosperior’ (Registered in 1950) which was a M. Foster hybrid of Neo. fosteriana(?) X spectabilis(?).
As I read though the description I found it a bit confusing and you can read it at http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=4439#4439  and decide for yourself.

Apparently Foster shared seed of this cross with Dr. Morris Dexter and Morris Henry Hobbs; they each selected a cultivar and gave them the names of 'Morris Henry Hobbs' and 'Dexter's Pride'. This is where the confusion started because these plants all looked the same as Neo. ‘Fosperior’ but were carrying different names.

I then looked though the “P’s” and found ‘Perfection’ which was identified as a sport from Neo ‘Fosperior’ and registered as ‘Perfection’ in 1978.

In 1983, Mulford Foster’s son Bert wrote: “Neoregelia Fosperior, a hybrid developed by my father, Mulford Foster, approximately 18 years ago improved its lot in life by giving birth to a magnificent variegated offshoot. The offshoot was actually only half variegated. This mutation happened in my greenhouse about five years ago. I grew the plant for 1 ½ years and then something happened which caused the plant to die, fortunately for the bromeliad lovers in the world a perfect offshoot appeared before the parent plant died. I raised that plant to maturity and the plant pictured above is the best of the litter and I am naming the gorgeous plant Neoregelia Fosperior 'Perfection'. Some day everyone can share the beauty of this plant but due to its slow growth habit it will not be for sale for years.”

This is where confusion occurs again, because the Neo ‘Perfection’ we now grow came from a Mulford Foster hybrid which was registered as Neo. ‘Perfection in 1978 not as Neoregelia Fosperior  'Perfection' as suggested by Bert Foster in 1983 in the above notes. It seems the “Fosperior” was dropped from the name for some reason (by possibly the registrar at the time to avoid confusion?)

Anyway to get back to your question of what to call your NOVAR pup. Neoregelia ‘Perfection’ is clearly incorrect as it isn’t variegated and if we look at the definition of NOVAR in the Bromeliad Glossary of the F.C.B.S., NOVAR is defined as being “a term used where a cultivar is registered as a variegated plant and ‘loses’ its variegation”.

So I gather from this we should be calling it Neoregelia ‘Perfection’ NOVAR; this then tells everyone that it came from Neoregelia ‘Perfection’ but it’s lost its variegation.

On the other hand it could be argued it now looks the same as Neo ‘Fosperior‘ where ‘Perfection’ first originated as a variegated sport and some would say it should now revert back to the original name of ‘Fosperior’. Personally I use NOVAR after the name, but perhaps if Geoff or anyone else should read this they may tell us what we should be calling these plants.

Just to add a little more info., I’ve always been led to believe that once a plant loses its variegation, it never returns, nor does it show again in any future pups from that NOVAR plant. I can disprove this as I have had a pup from Neo. ‘Perfection’ NOVAR which produced a variegated pup again and I’ve also had a similar thing occur with a Neoregelia ‘Orange Glow’ NOVAR, and I’ve discussed this with other growers and found that some of them have had similar experiences, so don’t toss your NOVARS in the bin just yet.

All the best, Nev.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 01:52:45 »

Thanks Nev, I will just be selling it with my neo pups so will name it ‘Perfection’ NOVAR. I have 6 other pups and a couple of more plants to take more pups off.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 03:15:42 »

I also got a fully variegated pup off what totally looked a 'Novar' Mum Nev, also got them from Neo 'Kahala Dawn'. In theory there has to be some variegation where the pup starts off from at the plant base for this to happen.

-John
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 07:53:39 »

Hi all, another couple of skotak zonated variegate minis we have. Both seem to be very stable. I did swaps a few years ago and got one pup of each below. None have flowered.

Neo 'Hot Embers'

Please
register or login

Neo 'Palmares', this one is not that cold hardy and had to bring it inside, leaf damage is from trying it outside and pushed my luck.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

John.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:58:48 by jaga » Logged
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 13:06:10 »

Love Hot Embers. My plant has multiplied but not flowered.

Premium Advert
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: