Bromeliad Forum
November 23, 2017, 10:21:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini  (Read 865 times)
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« on: August 22, 2016, 09:34:22 »

This mini has been sitting on the ground for a few years. I have just cleaned up the garden and lifted this up. No roots had gone into the ground and the pot had long gone.

No idea of a name.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Save water, shower with a friend.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 21:26:27 »

Wow! A few plants there Kayleen, how many years has it been growing there? l need a close up of a individual plant but looks like Neo 'Short & Sweet' to me.

John.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:32:06 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - That plant certainly supports the theory that brom's other than terrestrials don't grow "in" the ground but "on" the ground.

As for ID, 'Short and Sweet' is certainly a possible contender as is any one of the dozens of Fireball hybrids bred over the years. Looking at the open form and spreading habit it seems more like one of the many compacta x Fireball hybrids; ones such as Firesprite.

Do you know what colour the flowers are?

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:20:58 »

No I don't Nev but will keep my eye on it for flowers.

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 13:10:13 »

Checked for flowers today but there was none.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 00:52:04 »

Hi everyone - To keep this thread of Kayleen's alive I thought I'd just post a few pic's of some mini Neo's (not all mine) and invite anyone else to do the same so that we can all share the beauty of these little gems.  I was once asked, "what is the definition of a miniature Neoregelia?"

Although all of the plants shown in these pictures were classed as miniatures when I bought/swapped them, I don't consider some to be true miniatures according to show judging standards. According to these standards, a Neo. must be under 200mm/8" in diameter to be classified as a miniature. This is confusing, as it is possible to grow larger plants "very hard" in a small pot and starve them of food, whilst exposing them to the elements and still keep under the 200mm/8" guidelines when in actual fact they aren't really a miniatures at all.

Conversely you could take a plant which was just under the size requirements and by feeding it up and growing under premium conditions you will easily exceed the size requirements even though according to the heritage of the plant it is a miniature.

I don't know how to overcome this discrepancy, except to say that it's up to the growers to use all of their skill to make sure their cultural methods are such to maintain the required size.

Neo. 'Raspberry Cream' (This is one plant that frequently exceeds the regulation size requirements)
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Aleena'
Please
register or login

Neo. ampullacea flowers
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Domino'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Flirtation'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Pepper' x 'Royal_Flush'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Pheasant'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Reyenalla Rebel'
Please
register or login

Neo. sarmentosa_x_chlorosticta
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Shamrock'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Strawberry Cream' Good light - Just to show the importance of light when trying to get good colour, this and the next picture show divisions of this plant taken from the same Mother plant with this one grown in good light and the next one grown in poor light.
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Strawberry Cream' Poor light
Please
register or login

Neo. Strawberry Cup This plant was taken as a small pup and mounted on this scrap of "grub eaten" Ti-Tree wood just to see how it would grow. It seemed to do OK and just for a bit of a joke I entered it in Class Q (Mounted Plant other than Tillandsia) of our Spring Show and won first prize with it.
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Zoe'
Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 08:24:40 »

Hi all, Nev good idea, I had thoughts along the same lines. Rules in NZ on mini height is 160 so even smaller. Although a very nice 'Sharon Patterson' plant that Neo'Flirtation' does exceed even the 200 height limit, no matter how hard its grown and from memory is classed as a 'Midi' these days, have recently used it for some hybridisation mainly due to the many rounds of leaves it has with some specimens having more than 200.
That clump of 'Zoe' is very impressive, ours reverted back to plain red. Really like that 'Reyenalla Rebel'.  Not seen that before. Shamrock is another goodie but hard to grow as a mini as well, mine may just sneak under the 200 mark will have check. Neo strawberry cream is also very nice, looks very stable.

I agree on your comment about growing to the form registered but its certainly tricky considering a lot of minis come via Costa Rica and Thailand where conditions are way different to ours.

Cheers John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:43:07 by jaga » Logged
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 00:01:14 »

A Mini Guzzania we got from a local garden center, checked with supplier and its a hybrid, parents unknown. Any way had not seen one this small before, measures 75mm including the flower!, have thought of crossing it with a vriesea. Has lots of pups so will be interesting if I can get it to spread into a clump.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

John
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 00:20:51 »

Hi everyone.

John I only have the one miniature Guzmania and have had it for some years. It's Guz. lingulata minor (variegated) and it's a fast grower which makes into a nice clump in no time at all and is also easy to flower. It's been around for years and it's a brilliant little plant; if you ever get the chance to get hold of it you should do so.

To give an idea of size, the plant in the picture below was a pup potted into a three inch pot around Feb this year. I think the brilliant scarlet flowers make a perfect contrast with the variegated leaves.

All the best, Nev.

Please
register or login
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:32 »

Thanks Nev, that does look a good little Guzzmania, to be honest the one we show above is our first ever! I guess a bit surprising but the reason is they don't do well outside here so have left them alone. We got it purely on the the fact it was so small and its only been in our procession for 3 days.

Moving along, here's a few we have in ceramic hanging pots in our conservatory

First is a unnamed not registered (grex mate to Neo 'Jags Bright Spark'). Its the first pup off this plant and the first time showing! it is a slow grower but has very nice shiny leaves with distinctive bright red markings. Its planted in a hand made ceramic pot made by a good friend of ours here in New Zealand. If you look carefully your see a snake twisted around the pot. The next few plants are also in his pots.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Neo 'Small World' x 'Tartan Princess', (not registered) our hybrid

Please
register or login

Neo ampulacea x 'Little Dazzler', (not registered) our hybrid

Please
register or login

A very nice Diana Holt hybrid, Neo 'Tara Red Robin', its in a pot that came from Cambodia and started life as a xmas tree, if you invert the pot your see, had a saucer and candel. we brought the only three in existence as knew they would serve better as hanging pots.

Please
register or login

Another Diana Holt hybrid, Neo 'Kiwi Regala' x 'Tiger cub', these pots we had made here in New Zealand to our design and colours.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Lots more to come soon. John.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 11:54:18 »

Nice plants Nev & John. Love your pots are they Hawi's? he makes beautiful pots.

I have a small Guzmania   "Ice Cream" Red flower but it does send some plain pups now & then.
John I had Zoe in a hanging basket. It was half & half Varigated & plain.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 23:34:21 »

Hi everyone.

John – They’re certainly attractive and unusual looking pots; I imagine the funnel shape should provide very good drainage and prevent “wet patches” around the base as commonly happens with other pots when the mixture starts to break down. On the other side of the balance I imagine they would dry out much quicker in the hot weather also.

What do you have on the roof of your conservatory, is it Lazer Light or some similar polycarbonate product? Do you find it protects from sunburn without any added shade cloth or do you have to hang some up during the hot summer weather?

It’s interesting to look at your first two pictures viewed from below; firstly let me say what a great lot of colour the plant is showing and it’s still just a pup; any chance of a picture of an adult plant for comparison?

It’s unfortunate that many people don’t realise just how much colour can often be seen when a plant is viewed from below. In fact some plants can look pretty ordinary viewed from above yet when viewed from below a whole new picture becomes visible.

Probably two good examples of these are firstly the very commonly grown species Neo. Spectabilis and although when viewed from above does have the beautiful red “fingernails”, but from below there’s an amazing pattern of horizontal pale silvery banding on a pinkish background when grown in good light. The second example is Neo ‘Birdrock’ which when viewed from above is certainly a nice looking plant, but when viewed from below is nothing short of spectacular with its beautiful longitudinal silvery bands.

Sorry for that little rant, now back on track again. Of your next two hybrids I like the Neo 'Small World' x 'Tartan Princess' the best. It seems to have inherited the nice symmetry of ‘Small World’ which has always been a favourite of mine.

That’s a great lot of mini’s from Diana Holt who I must confess until now I knew nothing about as I haven’t followed the breeding of miniature Neo’s very much. To find out more, I looked her up on the BCR and see that she’s produced countless beautiful Neo. miniatures with already 41 registrations to her credit. After just briefly viewing some of these I have to point out Neo. ‘Tara Gypsy’; It’s just the sort of colour I love and certainly worth a look.  http://registry.bsi.org/?fields=Breeder&id=12344&search=holt

Can’t wait to see what else you have to show us John or what other NZ hybridists you can promote.

Kayleen – I’m not really up on Guzmanias, especially miniatures, and I’m not familiar with your Guz. ‘Ice Cream’ so I went to the “Brom Bible” (BCR) and see that its seed parent is Guz. lingulata v. minor, the very same plant that I posted yesterday, what a coincidence. Read all about it at: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=GUZMANIA&id=2529#2529
There is also another one listed as Guz. ‘Ice Milk’ and although there isn’t a picture, the description indicates it’s a similar looking plant.

I’m not surprised at what you say about your Neo ‘Zoe’, as much to my disappointment I too found it quite an unstable plant. I bought it many years ago mainly because we had a very spoilt little dog called “Zoe” at the time, but after only two generations it had reverted back to plain foliage and the variegation still hasn’t re-appeared in any of the new pups.

All the best, Nev.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 12:24:22 »

Nev, after I divided Zoe the varigation is still in the plant. Haven't seen any plain yet.

Another plant viewed from below I like is Aechmea Rakete

Diana Holt has propagated some beautiful minis.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 04:10:17 »

Hi all, Nev, I have the feeling I showed some images on your post, re: your shade house hanging pot supports but just cannot find that post? maybe your have more luck. Anyway to answer your question, yes its a polycarbonate roof in the same profile to follow the aluminium roof we used for the house, its about 2mm thk with fibre reinforcing. What I recently have experimented with is adding the 665 steel mesh to allow me to hang pots. I zinc coated then painted it. Only done a small area to start to see how it goes, was worried the pots would be to heavy but that seems ok.

Please
register or login

At this stage we are watering them with a 5ltr spray bottle by hand but if the above works Im setting up a mist water sprinkler system for the whole conservatory, once we finish the walls and floor. Yes they do dry out but as the inside of the ceramic pots are sealed only at the same rate as a plastic pot. Once every 2 weeks I take them down and give them a good soaking.

Yes last summer had 1 mini that got burnt Nev but in general no need for any extra shade cloth, I can lower all relocate if they get to stressed. We open up the conservatory windows and sliding door to get good ventilation through and that certainly helps + you will notice from the above image the leaves on the roof, this is from a big tree over us so we get filtered afternoon sun when the UV is at its worst.

Kayleen, your correct, yes they are Hawi Winter creations. We went to his place and selected from all he had made what we wanted and got him to do 6 pots for us. I shall post some images now that its been brought up in a new post soon.

Yes Diana Holt has made many hundreds of minis with only a few registered. We need to collect some more yet. Another not yet in a ceramic pot, Neo 'Tara Spirit'

Please
register or login

Cheers John
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:18:52 by jaga » Logged
Premium Advert
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 10:40:48 »

Hawi came over and gave a talk at our meetings and that is where I saw his pots. They are beautiful, so much work in them.

You have a good setup there John. Your minis will love it up high.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: