Bromeliad Forum
February 18, 2018, 04:01:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kham Tiang Flower Market  (Read 1575 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 22:42:52 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - That's quite a programme you have mapped out there, do you need someone to perhaps help carry your bags?  If so, I’d love to volunteer Ha! Ha!

Make sure you take a spare camera! A friend of mine went on a very comprehensive tour into parts of South American bromeliad country (the trip of a lifetime) and the second day his camera died and all those photo opportunities were missed. We can’t have that can we, as we’re all expecting lots and lots of photo’s, especially old farts like me who can’t stray far from home any more.

Steer clear of elephant rides though; I saw a clip on Face Book of a group of tourists on an elephant ride in Thailand where one of the elephants tried to mount the one in front while the tourists were still on its back……a bit of a worry.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 00:59:50 »

Wow!, kayleen. That's an extensive programme, will be a very exciting trip. Also assume your be doing tourist stuff as well . 20 years ago 4 of us hired a car and drove Thailand for a month, luckily 1 of our group cold speak Thai, made all the difference, driving very easy as all there roads are numbered. Make sure you visit at least 1 of the ancient cities.
Your have plenty of images to share here once you return.
So since you are heading to Changmai as well you should be able to get a bag of hanging pots to bring home to match ours.
Just in case you need transport in Chiang Mai we found this taxi guy totally reliable with the added bonus that he is English speaking,
Mr Joop, pH 085 6522924
What App +66 856522924
Using the What App , mobile pH app can contact him from any where in the world.
Can Just pay him to take you anywhere around the Chiang Mai area and he will wait for you. He also now knows where Pallada gardens is as its located on a unnamed little village at the fork of 2 narrow streets, in Mae Rim, 45min north of Chiang Mai. a very small sign, no street number. Also Bring drink etc as so called cafe has very little. We had to go else where for lunch, Joop knows good eating places.
Best place for the hanging pots is the Kham Tieng flower market but you will need to hunt for them, a number of outlets carry a limited amount. They will wrap them with some news paper only, we had to source bubble wrap elsewhere, shop called Chiangmai plastics in market area, tuk tuk drivers know this place also some very interesting shops in that area. Also check each pot as you buy them for cracks and insects living inside. I'm sure Aussie customs will not be happy with you if you import insects.
We got about 10 various shaped clay pots ranging in price from 25 baht to 100, in NZ currency 1_4 dollars. Sellers are all very honest.

John.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:51:36 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 03:15:02 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - There you go, you have John who's "been there and done that" and I'm sure you'll find his advice very handy, especially the bit about the cab driver. If you can get a cab driver who's honest and can speak English it makes it so much easier for all concerned.

Incidentally, how long are you going for? That's a pretty extensive programme.

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 13:05:20 »

Thanks for that John. This is a tour we are going on with our Brom club. The woman who arranged the tour lives in Thailand and does this all the time. Friends went on an Orchid tour a few months ago and had a marvelous time. They are also going on this tour and even though a few places will be doubled up for them but they don't mind.
Will make a note of what you have said and take it with me. Many thanks.

Save water, shower with a friend.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 09:16:59 »

That all sounds very good Kayleen. Will be very interested to see images of the other destinations on your list. There are so many people in Thailand now growing  Broms. There are several in Phuket that we may look at seeing next trip. Also there is a Lady in Yala with a marvilious very large collection.
-John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: