Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 14:38:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPPER LIMB PROTECTION  (Read 198 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« on: April 09, 2016, 00:20:16 »

Hi everyone.

I thought I''d just open a discussion about arm protection when handling prickly bromeliads.

I, like many other growers wear the scars of past encounters with the prickly leaves of some bromeliads which I guess is just the trademark of being a bromeliad grower, and although it's not unusual to draw a little blood when handling some of the plants with prickly leaf edges, it's more of a nuisance than anything else.

Something I overlooked was, that as many of us get older we end up taking blood thinning medication which of course makes us bleed more when we get a break in our skin, so the more stabs from brom's we receive, the more we bleed. It’s not serious and it’s easily stopped, but it looks very dramatic and serious to anyone else viewing the scene. After startling several people by the sight of blood oozing down my forearms, I decided I needed to wear something to protect my arms against the prickles (and stop distressing the passers by), so I tried cutting the toes out of a pair of old work socks and wearing them as protection. They weren't perfect but did help a lot, but the big drawback was they were hot and uncomfortable to wear in the Australian summer, and as a result of this I only wore them during the cooler months (when I thought of it). 

I then decided I would be better off with some suitable gloves, so I took myself off to Bunnings to find some. After looking through the work glove section, the closest I could find to what I needed was a pair of welders’ gloves which were leather and came almost up to my elbows. The trouble was that when I tried them on, I found the leather was so thick that it took away all sense of feeling in my fingers and although they would offer good protection, they really weren’t comfortable or suitable.

Eventually I found more gloves in the gardening section and it was there I found exactly what I wanted; (See picture) they were long and came right up to my armpits, the glove section which accommodates the hand was made of a thin canvas which offered good protection against brom. prickles as well as still maintaining reasonable hand dexterity. The part from the wrist up was also made from canvas although thinner than that used for the main glove. They were comfortable to wear and although I realized they too would be hot in the warmer weather, they wouldn’t be as hot as old woolen work socks, so I bought two pairs which at just $7 per pair I thought were a bargain.

I now always use them when handling prickly bromeliads, and always put them on (as soon as I see the blood running down my arms), Ha! Ha!

Does anyone else like to share their ideas on this topic?

All the best, Nev.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 20:49:32 »

Nev, Brilliant topic. Safety first!

I use some old leather welding gloves. Works well especially on some Orthophytum and Bromelia. For those not-so-vicious Aechmeas I have a lighter cloth and rubber set.

Conrad
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:44:06 »

Thanks Nev I will have a look next time at Bunnings as I really need to wear something.

Save water, shower with a friend.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: