Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 14:38:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visits to the Bromeliad Forum  (Read 203 times)
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« on: April 04, 2016, 07:24:39 »

Just for your interest....

we may be a few chatting but the data shows many visitors!

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

This is taken from our stat sheet! Remember at this time it is 4th of April 2016.

Conrad
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 13:59:17 »

Everybody is too busy on FB. I visit FB, but I still come in here to see what is happening and to do the odd post.

Save water, shower with a friend.
Premium Advert
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 22:34:18 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad - What you say is supported by a thread I started in June 2014 "Let's See Some Pictures"; it went to 29 pages and was viewed by 20,764 members but it was the same few members doing the posting and there were very few written responses from non-regular members.

As Kayleen says, everyone's too busy on Face Book. I personally think Face Book rules the lives of a lot of people who spend hours on it listening to all the gossip on some sites. Having said that, I must add though there are also some excellent sites dedicated specifically to bromeliads and other topics. However these don't have the long interesting discussions (that sometimes went on for several days) that we used to see on these Bromeliad Forums with much of the comment on Face Book just consisting of a press of the "like button".

I'll probably draw a lot of "flack" for this, but I'm afraid Face Book has become like mobile phones, where people just can't do without it and like mobile phones they allow Face Book to control them instead of them being in control, but then we are told that's progress. 

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:19:17 »

I Concur Nev. FB seems quite addictive. I am still old school. I need more than just a sentence of information. Mobile phones to me, although handy, remains a phone. When I am at home, they are in my room and remain there until I need them. I also have my ringtone at such a volume that I do not need to answer if I do not want to. It remains a tool for me, not my master!

Conrad
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:40:40 »

How we got back on this again Im not sure but I do have to disagree with you both re the Mobile phone and FB.

1 example - We are planning a trip to North Thailand to Changmai city, so have down loaded all our details to my phone, incl maps of the city, maps on how to get to bromelaid gardens, our electronic ticket bar codes for hotels/flights, general info on places to visit. also once we are there we can use the free wifi in hotels to go on line to see whats happening in this forum etc etc.
On to FB, it does have its short comings that we have all gone over but.......... we have made contact with Pallada gardens + sunshine broms in Changmai via making friends on FB.

Cheers John.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 22:10:41 »

Hi everyone.

John - I understand and respect what you say and I think the new mobile technology is fantastic and the things that can be done on them are mind boggling, all I'm saying is, man should be the master of his phone, not the phone being the master of the man, and I'm concerned this is the way it's going, especially  with the younger generation. I heard a young lady during a TV interview say quite openly, "she couldn't live without her mobile" and she was dead serious.

Just one last say and let me stress it's just my opinion and I do respect the views of others. Personally I think there's too much reliance put on mobile phones or any phones for that matter, what happens if the phone suddenly dies or is lost or stolen? We've seen what happens in big business when their is a power outage and the computers go down, everything stops; nobody knows how to do manual tasks anymore as they're too reliant on technology and forget the most important thing, mechanical things can and do break down.

Furthermore mobiles are taking away the younger generation's ability to concentrate on things around them (such as hazards) as they have their face buried in their phones too much. I see them coming out of high school each day like a lot of "zombies" concentrating intently on their phones while they walk across roads (not designated crossings) oblivious to traffic which often has to swerve to avoid hitting them. It's also taking away their ability to write and spell, as they text in a different language which is also making its way into general conversation and document writing (at least here where I live).

Sorry about that outburst, but that's my view.

All the best, Nev.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: