Bromeliad Forum
November 18, 2017, 05:44:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a few pictures!  (Read 832 times)
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« on: March 28, 2016, 08:12:43 »

As I have had a few days off over easter...2 days only... AND the sun was shining! I thought I would update you on my garden.

New Growth on my Tillandsia Tree

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

A Capitata Salmon ...

Please register or login

This plant was sold to me as T polita but is not polita. Any Ideas? Very elegant and neat plant.

Please register or login

Tillandsia extensa

Please register or login

A friend grew this Aechmea from seed. Unknown parents for now ( he told me but I forgot!) Love the colour and the spines!

Please register or login

Something pretty!

Please register or login

Some Hybrid Vrieseas!

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Sold to me as sucrei it is NOT! any ideas....

Please register or login

& Vriesea inflata seidelii

Please register or login

Have a great day

Conrad
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:27:49 »

Your tills are loving that spot. Will be glorious when in flower.
The Aechmea is a pretty colour as are the flowers on your Vrieseas. I have a lot coming into flower now.

Save water, shower with a friend.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 22:33:36 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad - What a fantastic photographic progress report; I remember when you posted pictures of those frames when you had just built them, and now look at them, "a wall of tillandsias"......... fantastic.

They're also great pic's of the flowering Vrieseas and the colour is brilliant, but the one that catches my eye is that beautiful little Aechmea which to my mind appears to have recurvata in its parentage judging by the size and the recurved leaves. Any chance of contacting your friend and finding out the name for us?

Also the little orchid looks like the type I grew and hybridized many years ago and was one of the two different sorts of Miltonias. This was the tougher of the two types with the other, which was commonly called the "Pansy Orchid" and had much softer foliage and was more difficult in our are to grow. This type was more closely aligned to the Oncidium genera and were ideal to mount on trees. Of course since those times there has been a lot of cross breeding between them and oncidiums, ondontoglosums, odontiodas, brassias and probably many other types I don't even know and your plant could well be one of the hybrids. However the offspring mostly all had one thing in common, and that was they were all mostly hardy and easily grown in a shade house here in our area.

Anyway, let me say its good to see you back posting again and sharing your great pictures with us.

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 22:36:36 »

Hi again - Conrad, I forgot to mention I've sent your picture of the supposed Vriesea sucrei to a friend for identification. I recognise this plant also but don't remember the names.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:25:04 »

Hi, Conrad, glad to read you got some time off. Nice selection of images, I like the look of that Aechmea your friend grew, is it hybridised by your friend? Like the form and that purplish silver.
Suspect your vriesea (not sucrei) is a hybrid

Cheers John.
chefofthebush

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 19:13:00 »

Thanks for the compliments all. I will try and post more photos soom.

As for the sucrei like Vriesea my no1 candidate is  Vriesea 'Maroon Delight'. The leaves and pendulous spike are similar. I am waiting for the flowers to open.

Best wishes,

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 22:05:29 »

Hi everyone.

I just thought I'd jump in with a picture of an interesting Aechmea species from Venezuela I have in flower at present. It's called Ae. filicaulis and the extremely pendulous inflorescence is just a tad over one metre in length. The flowers which are short lived are a very pale mauve fading to white.

I didn't realize when I was trying to photograph it just how difficult it would be to show it at is best, and unfortunately the main object (the inflorescence) seems to blend into the background and is difficult to see, but if you follow it down, the tip of the inflorescence is right at the bottom margin of the picture.

It wasn't until I looked at the pictures on the FCBS that I now realize my mistake; I should have used a light coloured plain background to show it more clearly. Maybe if this rain stops I'll try again, if I can work out how to do it.

All the best, Nev.

Please
register or login
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:25:58 »

That is one long inflorescence. It is easy to follow down Nev.
I have this unnamed very similar plant. The inflorescence was about 1mtr long. Any ideas of a name please?

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:26:21 »

Hi everyone

Conrad - I think that Vriesea that you got instead of sucrei could be Vriesea Retroflexa or one of its hybrids. It seemed familiar when I first looked at your pictures and it never occurred to me it was like one I had. It seems it comes in two foliage colours green and burgundy. Mine is burgundy coloured like yours but unfortunately I don't have a picture of it and I can only find a picture of the green leaf form on Google but I'm attaching it anyway.

Kayleen - Without seeing both plants in flower its hard to say for certain, but just going by the foliage colour, and the fact you said your plant  had a one metre long inflorescence, there wouldn't too many fitting that description and I think there's a pretty good chance they are the same plant. 

I never took a lot of notice of the flowers except to note they seemed very skinny and short lived; nothing spectacular in my opinion, but there are some pic's on the FCBS site if you want to compare the habit of the flowers with yours.

Please
register or login
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 12:25:07 »

I never took a lot of notice either Nev. Will have to wait for the next one. I will put that name on it with a ? and check later.

chefofthebush

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 18:15:44 »

A few more picks from the garden...and some other plants.

Tillandsia crocata

Please register or login

My Tillandsia tree infront of my house

Please register or login

Please register or login

The arch over the pathway...

Please register or login

And Then Some....

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Conrad
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 22:04:28 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad – Once again you’ve given us more great pictures, and the clarity (as usual) just seems to get better with each pic; how I'd love to be able to use my camera with such good results.

What a coincidence that your first picture is Tillandsia crocata; I went to our monthly Bromeliad Society meeting yesterday and saw two of the same Tillandsias on the monthly point score table. They caught my eye immediately as I don’t have any with yellow flowers myself and they don’t appear at our meetings very often either.

The Tillandsia tree in front of your house looks amazing and the plants making up the arch over your pathway look just like a branch cut from a tree in a bromeliad habitat…..wonderful!

Just to break it up a bit you’ve given us a finish with a variety of nice orchids, starting with your nice white Cattleya, then the Miltonia followed by one I’m not sure of; the flower looks a bit like a hybrid bred from an "antelope type" hard cane Dendrobium (without the twisted petals), but then the leaves in the background look more like those of a terete Vanda. Please put me out of my misery and tell me what it is.

I know it isn’t a brom, but I’ve attached an old (not very good) picture of a little Miltonia I once bred over thirty years ago, and which is the last remaining remnant of my orchid collection; it was a cross between Milt. ‘Chocolate Drop’ and Milt. ‘Purple Queen’. It’s nothing special (quality wise) but still special to me as it was the first orchid hybrid I ever made.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best, Nev.

Please
register or login
chefofthebush

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 07:31:55 »

Thanks for the comments Nev.

The last orchid is dendrobium one of the asian imports. My prime obsession is Tillandsias and other broms, but the orchids are there just to create a little more ambiance.

Crocata is not only pretty but has a wonderful scent. There are only a few tillies with fragrance.

Once again I am awaiting for a shipment of ten dozen or so tillies in the next week. some plants I do not have, but mostly for stock. I am also awaiting a friends tillie imports from the US of my "wish list" and hope to get a few real nice plants there. Can't wait!

Real nice Miltonia.  ...a question.

I was told that if I wanted to get the miltonias to root well, I should trim off all the roots prior to attaching it to a tree / log / piece of wood....Comments please.

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 08:48:19 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad - Good luck with your imports, all I can say is that if was importing the same load into Australia I'd just expect a box of "gunk" after they'd been through the gas chamber as I very much doubt they'd stand up to the treatment.

As for mounting the Miltonias, I've only ever mounted them just as the new roots are starting on the new growth. I tie them straight against the tree with the base against the bark and I find the new roots will grow straight onto it. However, just like mounting brom's, they mustn't be allowed to move or the new roots will continually get broken off.

All the best, Nev.
Premium Advert
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 13:09:18 »

Nev, Australia has stopped all Bromeliad imports so growers here will have do a lot of their own hybridizing.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: