Bromeliad Forum
December 15, 2017, 18:56:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A different Portea  (Read 1138 times)
Lisa
Global Moderator

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« on: May 18, 2012, 21:18:36 »

About 6 years ago I got a couple of Porteas from Michael tagged only "Skotak #1" and "Skotak #2" (presumably collected in Brazil by Chester).  I've always liked the nice bronzy foliage, but got tired of waiting for a bloom, so a couple of months back when I Florelled a bunch of other things, I decided to give these guys a shot too. 

This is #2.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

I have to say I was expecting a bigger inflo for all the time it's been sitting there, but it may be a bit stressed from growing it hard.  Any ideas?  The flowers haven't opened up yet, but it looks like they will be the same inky blue as the ovaries (the color is actually bluer in person than the photo shows).  Could it be the same sp. as Helga Tarver?  That's the closest match I can find.

http://fcbs.org/images/Portea/Portea_Helga_Tarver_DC6297.jpg 

I was told that one of them supposedly had yellow flowers, but it sure isn't this one.  #1 appears to be forming a bud too, but for some reason lags far behind its companion in development (odd, since they look outwardly pretty similar and were treated at the same time).  We'll have to wait to see how that one comes out.     

Please register or login
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 00:15:52 »

Hi Lisa, I can't help with any id. information, but that sure is a beaut looking plant - love that hot foliage colouration!  Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:41:38 »

Nice and interesting color combination.  Although I do love the yellow-green of the typical Portea petro and friends, this is an interesting addition to the older stuff.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 04:18:20 »

Lisa, glad to see you using the Florel. Any tips on using it?

Does that Portea have any spines? I'm not seeing any. I guess most Porteas have spines but I'm not sure.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:58:14 »

The floral colors remind me of Ques. liboniana, Andy.  Kind of an unusual combination. 

It definitely has spines, Nick, they're just out of focus. 

I had pretty good luck with the Florel this time, most of the things I treated seem to have taken.  That has not always been the case.  I think part of it may have to do with the timing.  Best results if you do it when they would naturally be most prone to initiating buds anyway, rather than trying to force them during the off season.  Of course some of them might bloom anyway, but you don't know that, and if you want to synchronize certain things for crossing, it's better not to leave too much to chance. Hit them in the late afternoon, make sure they don't get rained on overnight, and then flush them out the following morning.  Shooting the solution directly into the cup rather than coating the whole plant to run-off seems to minimize any collateral damage, but even so, I did get a couple of things showing lasting "water spots" as a result of the spray, so you might be taking a risk if you use it on a show plant. 

Please register or login

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 17:37:48 »

I've started to put the Florel just in the cup. I use 1ml for a Neo or Billbergia and 2ml for something bigger like an Aechmea. I try to dilute it with rain water rather than tap water since I read that PH is important with Florel and my water is a bit base. I think I could put more Florel in but I haven't done enough experiments to decide what works best. I'm also doing the "treatment" in the afternoon. In the morning I gather the plants and dump out all the water and then put the Florel mixture in in the afternoon. I don't bother dumping it out the next day.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Kerry T.

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: You mean there are other plants besides bromeliads?

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 04:08:30 »

Hey Lisa.

I remember seeing that stunner at your place, in full sun between your two larger shade houses. Yes?
I love it! Great to see the inflo colours as impressive as the leaves. It's a winner. Congrats on its bloom.

NB. Have no idea what it is though, apart from beautiful.

K
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:09:57 »

Lisa, was this the plant that had almost Neo-like markings at one point?

Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:56:34 »

Yes, they're outside my upper shadehouse, Kerry.  That spot gets full morning sun, but is somewhat shaded in the afternoon.  The leaves on the left side of the photo are the other clone, both have become quite bronzed in that location. 

The ones you're thinking of are some hybrid seedlings of mine, Andy. 

Please register or login
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: