Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 14:44:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelf Life of Seeds  (Read 193 times)
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« on: February 13, 2016, 18:33:14 »

After an email from Nev I stated he had some seed in the fridge.  How how long can one keep seeds on storage, does is vary from genus to genus and how should they be stored.

One genus I am very familiar with is Tillandsia and those seed should be sown as soon as possible - but even there I have sent seed to friends and they had sown them a few weeks later with success.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Conrad.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 22:39:42 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad - The topic of seed storage is a wide ranging subject with many different factors to consider, such as the type of seed, the age of the seed, how it's packed and where it's stored and at what temperature.

There’s no getting away from the fact that “fresh is best” and the fresher the seed is, the better; in fact with Berry type pods, I squeeze it directly from the pod onto the growing medium and you can’t get it any fresher than that.

Any spare seed I want to store, I wash and dry before putting it in small paper envelopes. These are then put in a plastic take away container and kept in the door of my spare fridge in the garage.

I have used seed stored in this manner for up to two years after storing with still good germination rate (about 75%) when compared to the same seed when sown fresh.

I’ve read where others freeze it, and still other professional seed banks store it in professional freezers while some are experimenting with storage at  cryogenic temperatures. 

There was an interesting discussion about this on the Garden Web Forums back in July 2007 which you can hopefully access via the following URL and it should answer all of your questions.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1765440/question-that-the-seed-is-kept?n=10

All the best, Nev.
Premium Advert
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 22:44:11 »

Conrad, in the case of Vriesea seed i have got 4 months most times out just putting the opened seed pod into a plastic bag & still got germination from freezer seed 1 year later. Of course this would totally depend on the seeds genetic make up. There is a loss in the amount of germination success the longer you leave it it seems, but some is better than none.

What is your reasoning for storing rather than sowing straight away?

Cheers Jaga
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: