Bromeliad Forum
June 27, 2017, 12:36:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE A TO Z OF BROMELIADS  (Read 8343 times)
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #210 on: April 30, 2017, 15:14:33 »

My thoughts on the fertiliser too. I had trouble growing Jewellery Shop & Lime & lava. As I had 2 plants of each I repoted all, fertilised and put one of each into the morning sun till about 10am. They never looked back and I think the outside ones are growing a little better than the ones in the shadehouse.

Maybe you should send your plant up here to see how it grows Nev.  Grin Grin

Save water, shower with a friend.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2017, 09:07:07 »

Hi everyone.

John – Firstly, let me say I’m pretty sure this plant is incorrectly named as it looks nothing like the plant registered as ‘Rose Apple’ on the BCR and bred by Grace Goode in 1982. The crossing of that plant was Neo. farinosa x Neo. fosteriana. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=6809#6809

I appreciate your advice; however can you please translate “to the max” into “fertiliser type and quantity”. As for extra fertiliser, I have previously tried the “prill in the lower leaf axil trick” and doubled my usual quantity of a 5g measure of fertiliser per 5” pot to 15g per 5” pot on several occasions with the following genera: Neoregelia, Aechmea and Vriesea with great results. In these cases I used plants which were surplus to my needs as I had several to pick from. In all cases I had nice healthy plants to work with; two being un-flowered mature plants and the third a healthy Mother plant of Goudaea ospinae (Previously Vriesea ospinae).

When I tried the same technique on Neo. ‘Rose Apple’, I broke the golden rule and used a (not very healthy) plant when I didn’t even have a spare. (As I said previously, it grows so poorly for me I’ve never been able to get more than one pup every couple of years and consequently never finished up with more than one plant) 

On the particular plant I used, this technique only produced one “maggoty” looking pup. During winter I took Mother and pup into the back closed in porch which gets the morning sun and is where I grow the small seedlings while they are still in take away containers. This is the most protected and warm area I have available, and as the container seedlings grow well there, I thought I was in with a chance with my feeble looking ‘Rose Apple’ as well.

It just did nothing but “sulk” until eventually some of the Mother’s lower leaves where I had put the prills started to show black marking which turned out to be rot and had to be removed. The more I removed, the more I found had rot starting until I finally got back to a clean area which I treated at two week intervals with a fungicide which thankfully seemed to stop the rot on what now looked like a plant with a “terminal illness”.

A brom growing friend recommended this particular fungicide which was called “Yates Anti Rot” and is a systemic fungicide.
http://www.yates.com.au/products/disease-control/concentrates/yates-anti-rot/#L6st2U6Xgk8Eh4HE.97

I should have followed the advice given to me once by an old orchid growing nurseryman; he said, “don’t try and grow plants that don’t like your conditions, they will just break your heart”.

At the present time I have a very sick undersized looking plant which, as we come into what is forecast to be a “very cold winter”, I doubt very much will survive. What’s more I have no intention of replacing it.

As I think back to how all this came about, my first big mistake (through inexperience) was importing a nice healthy pup from a warm tropical area (Cairns) down to here which was at that time in the middle of an unusually cold winter. Through experience I have now learned that this is a definite “No No”.

That photo was taken when the initial pup eventually matured two years after I received it, and the beauty that is apparent was due to the quality put into the pup by the previous grower and in no way can be accredited to me. After it had finished flowering, although it did produce one pup, it was a gradual down-hill journey until the present time where I’m afraid I’m now going to lose what’s left of this beautiful plant.

Kayleen – As for sending it up to you to try, believe me I’ve thought about that as well, but in its present state, I doubt it would survive the trip to the “Post Office” let alone interstate. I would post a picture only I’m too ashamed to show it. I guess it’s one of those cases that I should just put down to experience.

If you really want one you shouldn’t have any trouble getting one in Queensland, however the only hurdle is the name, because as I said above, I think it’s incorrectly named, unless there’s two getting around Queensland, one as per the registration on the BCR, and a different second plant which is unregistered.

All the best, Nev
Premium Advert
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #212 on: May 03, 2017, 07:49:30 »

Nev, sounds like you have tried all sorts. really that plant must be genetically 'poor'. Sounds like the bin is the best solution. I have found with some I have made that the seed grown first generation do very well then the pups struggle. It is possible the seed it self has a boasting system to get the first plant through to a strong size but the pups then dont have that and need to grow on there own so just may be this is the case here with yours. ?

Cheers John.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2017, 10:12:22 »

hi all , for some reason I thought we were on 'S' but seems we are back 1 on 'R'. So seemed to have skipped ahead any way have one more 's' from photos taken today.

a few shots in the morning sun of a Skotaks tiger x Little faith very happy in a tree fern at out place

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

John.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2017, 23:51:45 »

Hi everyone.

John - Great pictures; you've done very well to capture the magical effects of the sunlight as it shines through the foliage of one of your babies.

All the best, Nev.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2017, 11:40:03 »

Love the sun through broms John

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2017, 22:08:24 »

Was up in our forest garden to test out our camera hoping to capture some native birds when I saw the sun striking this plant. Was too good to miss!, still hard to capture the best angles. And found we need a bigger zoom to get images of the birds way up in the trees. Many years back now, over 20, I was on a small boat on a river in tropical Sabah, Borneo trying to photo nature, it really was impossible, to get good images of birds, snakes, monkeys etc along the river edge, each developed photo was a disappointment ! So are going to have to retrace all our trips with modern technology.

Kayleen, hope you have a good camera for your Thailand trip?

Back on topic, better find some 'R' brims to add.

John.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2017, 13:43:41 »

I have a Canon 40x zoom. It really brings things up close.
John I was in Thailand last year. Had a marvelous time.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2017, 21:52:31 »

Gosh, Kayleen must have got your time line mixed up thought you were heading off soon. Oh well , so where are all your nice from images of the Thai collections?.
Certainly a 40 x zoom would be great, ours is only 10, we sacrificed zoom for the highest end image sensor at the moment for a travel camera.

John.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2017, 13:34:26 »

John this canon is only a small camera but it takes great pics.
I will post some pics tomorrow.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2017, 08:06:55 »

Ours quite small as well, will fit in my pocket, just!

Please
register or login

John.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:08:26 by jaga » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: