Bromeliad Forum
August 17, 2017, 08:04:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE A TO Z OF BROMELIADS  (Read 9120 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2016, 21:05:21 »

Hi everyone.

John - I don't know a lot about Allan Freeman, except that he bred some beautiful broms and if you do an advanced search of the BCR you will see that there are currently 957 registered to his name.

I remember back when we were all on the old Garden Web Bromeliad Forum (You can remember this can't you John?) There was a thread posted by someone about the registering of hybrids (and didn't that open a can of worms?) which I call it the “Golinski Saga”, I can’t find the original post but the follow up including the response from Keith Golinski some of the “flack” can be found at the following link:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1760010/freeman-neoregelias

It seems that Keith Golinski of Bromagic Bromeliad Nursery, Queensland, Australia was tying up the registering system of the B.C.R. by registering large numbers of Allan Freeman’s hybrids on Allan’s behalf. Apparently there was some connection between Keith and Allen Freeman and his hybrids. I don't know what the connection was; maybe it was that as Keith owned Bromagic Bromeliad Nursery he was selling Allan's hybrids on his behalf, or maybe Keith bought the collection and was selling them through his nursery, I can only speculate as it was never made clear.

The thing is, Keith thought all of these hybrids were worthy of registration (and many of us agreed with him) and so he started to register them all on Allan's behalf which caused a lot of ill feeling by some other growers (both here and overseas) who claimed he was "hogging" the register and they couldn't get their plants registered as he was registering them 100 at a time and the system was being "bogged down" because of this. I sensed a bit of jealousy by some of the other growers and there were accusations that many plants looked the same and didn't deserve a separate name, also he shouldn’t be allowed to register them in bulk groups with hinting that the registrar at the time was showing favoritism and the whole argument got quite nasty with a lot of "bitchiness" about the whole thing.

It ended with Keith Golinski writing a long post (included in the site above) to justify what he was doing and why; (mainly it was out of respect for Allan and Keith thought these plants were worthy of registration and that's why he was registering them on Allan’s behalf) In the end Keith didn’t register any more at that stage and the whole thing seemed to die down.

I don’t know what the eventual outcome was; had they all been registered at that stage or were there still many hundreds of hybrids still unregistered, I know there were many in the Bromagic catalogue still carrying numbers at that stage. Were these awaiting registration or weren’t they worthy of registration, and what happened to them when Bromagic was sold? Were they then registered or just sold under formula names or numbers? 

So to get back to your original statement John; “Somebody there in Australia must have a big collection of Alan Freeman broms?” I have to agree, as there were so many produced. As for me looking for just one pup of Neoregelia ‘Phyllis’ which I’ll call  (Freeman’s hybrid), is beginning to look like “searching for a needle in a haystack”.

All the best, Nev.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2017, 12:54:23 »

Some RRRRRRRs

Red Nugget
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
Red Waif
Please
register or login
Rose Apple X Fireball
Please
register or login
Rafa
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Save water, shower with a friend.
Premium Advert
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2017, 13:25:57 »

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Not sure what is happening to the forum as it will not allow me to post more photos

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2017, 13:43:35 »

Red River
Please
register or login
Red Tips. The sun caught this.
Please
register or login
Red Tiger
Please
register or login
Ruby.
Please
register or login

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2017, 13:58:14 »

Rosella. Normally more colourful. I think those hot dry days we had took a lot of colour out of them.
Please
register or login
Red Gold
Please
register or login
Royal Cordova
Please
register or login
Running River
Please
register or login
Looks like I can only post 4 at a time.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2017, 06:29:26 »

Hi everyone - It seems that Kayleen has put some life back in this post and shamed me into doing the same. No matter how many times I try, this site won't let me upload pictures which is a pity as I have some shots of three different Rosellas and a (supposed to be) Red Tips without the red tips which I wanted to show for comparison.

I'll try again tomorrow.

All the best, Nev

Well, well, well; I’ve just opened up this site to try and load my pictures again and low and behold there they all are. So now all I have to do is write the captions on them.

It was Kayleen’s picture of Neo ‘Rosella’ that prompted me to post the first three pictures. These three plants all came from three different growers in three different areas of Queensland and they all carried the same name of Neo. ‘Rosella’ even though they all look different to each other. My favourite of the three is the one in picture 3 and I was lucky enough to win best Neo in the open section of our 2011 show with it.

Neo. 'Rosella'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Rosella'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Rosella'
Please
register or login

This next plant is Neo. ‘Fairy Tale’ although when I bought it, it carried the name of Neo. ‘Rain Cloud’, but on the advice of a friend I checked with the BCR and found out that name was incorrect.

Neo.'Fairy Tale'
Please
register or login

This plant is Neo. ‘Strawbrry Cream’, although when it came into my possession it was wrongly named as Neo. ‘Raspberry Cream’ . It is one of Chester Skotak's many albo-marginated hybrids

Neo. 'Strawberry Cream'
Please
register or login

This is Neo.‘Larnach's Red Glow’ and is one of the many Aussie Dream hybrids. It was originally shown in the BCR Register as 'Red Glow' but name amended to differentiate from the other 'Red Glow'.

Neo.‘Larnach's Red Glow’
Please
register or login

Next we have Neo. 'Red River' which is a Zaghini hybrid which shows some truly magnificent colours when grown in strong light.

Neo. 'Red River'
Please
register or login

This next plant I bought as Neo 'Red Tips' but when I compare it with Kayleen's plant, it seems I've been sold a "dud" again, and although it has nice shape and colour, it is minus the "red tips".

All the best, Nev.

Neo. 'Red Tips'
Please
register or login

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:12:32 by splinter1804 » Logged
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2017, 09:47:09 »

Hi everyone, Kayleen & Nev you have added some good ones in here, well done.

That red waif has always been a interesting one, over here its named 'Cayenne', was told it is the same plant/same cross and seem to be identical? Any thoughts on this.
Your 'Rosella', in pic 3 is my pick as well Nev, has the best shape+ colour. Kayleen that 'red tips' Also has nice form.
I had better hunt for dome to show as well!
Oh by the way, Happy Birthday Nev!!!

Cheers John.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2017, 09:56:51 »

A very green clump of Neoregelia 'Shamrock'

Please
register or login

Neoregelia Skotak Tiger x Flama
Please
register or login

Close up view
Please
register or login

Some small world x wee willy seedlings
Please
register or login

Two of the plants selected
Please
register or login

'Small world' x 'Bitzer'
Please
register or login

Neoregelia speckles x Little Dazzler

Please
register or login

Neoregelia 'Skotaks Tiger' x 'Bob&Grace'

Please
register or login

'Skotaks Tiger' x 'Lambert's Pride'

Please
register or login

Close up
Please
register or login

Cheers John.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:22:22 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2017, 00:01:39 »

Hi everyone – It seems this site has been invaded by a “gremlin” who is playing around with the pictures.

Kayleen – That first lot of pic’s you posted have only just appeared on my computer this morning albeit with only the first four named.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th lot of postings did show up when posted but as you say, only in groups of four.

When I initially posted, none showed up and it wasn’t until I opened the site the following day to try to post again that they were all there.

However it seems that the “Computer Repair Gods” have come to the rescue, because John pictures seem to have all been posted OK so I’ll try again to post a few more after I’ve looked more carefully at the pic’s and said my “two bobs worth”.

Kayleen – Neo’s ‘Red Nugget’, ‘Rose Apple’ x ‘Fireball’ and ‘Rafa’ are three I’ve never seen before and all have their own attractive features with ‘Red Nugget’ leading the way with the nice pale tiger like banding; I would have thought ‘Rose Apple’ x ‘Fireball’ would have been a larger plant as I have Neo ‘Rose Apple’ which is a large standard size, however it seems that the Fireball “size genes” were stronger and have managed to keep the size small.

Rafa is an interesting looking plant with its prominent horizontal banding which makes it an attractive addition. It doesn’t appear to be registered so unfortunately we don’t know the parents, unless you can add a little more to its history.

Neo. ‘Red Waif’ is an interesting plant which has been grown around here for some years but carries the name of Neo. ‘Cayenne’.  I have it and plants named ‘Red Waif’ as well and I find it impossible to tell them apart. However when we read the report by Derek Butcher at http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3506#3506 as well as http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=6712#6712 all is revealed; and it seems the cross was done both ways and the name ‘Cayenne’ was applied to a plant from the reverse cross. The fact is, that if this is true, although they look identical, technically they are two different plants. Wouldn’t it be interesting to see what a DNA test would reveal?

Of the others, the standout plant for me is the beautifully grown Neoregelia ‘Red Tips’ which as far as I’m concerned is growing perfection personified. Everything about it is “top notch”, the beautiful soft colours, the perfect compact shape and the uniform red tips from which its name is derived. If only the one I bought had the same red tips and I could grow it as well as this example, I’m sure it would be up there with the show winners.

John – Neo ‘Shamrock’ is one of my favourite mini’s and always a popular one in the shows. I haven’t before seen any hybrids from a 'Skotak Tiger' x 'Flama' crossing; is it one of your crossings John? I looked up 'Flama' on the BCR as I wasn’t familiar with it, and was surprised to see a pretty ordinary looking plant and not a brilliant red coloured plant as I had imagined. Is the BCR an accurate image or is it a brighter red in real life?

Both ‘Small World’ x ‘Wee Willy’ selections have very attractive colouring, obviously another of your crosses John? It would be interesting to try and capture some of the nice round shape of ‘Small World’ by trying a back cross with each of the two selected plants. If you have or can get a plant of Neo ‘Tara Gem’ or  ‘Break of Day’ it might be worth trying it with the second choice from your selections to enhance the yellow colouring…………just a thought.

'Skotaks Tiger' x 'Bob & Grace' seems to have inherited the “teeth” from tiger and the dark leaf tips which when combined with the pale overall colouring make for a quite attractive plant.

Finally the last of a very interesting collection of hybrids with 'Skotaks Tiger' x 'Lambert's Pride'. You’ve just gotta try it with ‘Gold Fever’ or ‘Gold Fantasy’ to increase that beautiful spotted colour combination.

A very interesting and attractive lot of hybrids John and as usual always very interesting and a pleasure to look at.

All the best, Nev   

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2017, 14:42:51 »

Some lovely broms there Nev & John.
Nev our Red Rivers are a bit different. I like the white in yours.

John your Neoregelia 'Skotaks Tiger' x 'Bob&Grace' is beautiful.
Neoregelia speckles x Little Dazzler isn't bad either.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2017, 08:47:58 »

Hi everyone.

Time to try and load a few more pic's with names starting with "R".

Neo. 'Royal Cordovan'- One of my all time facourites
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Reins Pride' - An oldie and only small, but still very popular
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Reynella Rebel' - A prolific mini.
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Rosatina' x concentrica - Quite a large plant up to thirty inches and a good feature plant for the garden
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Rose Apple' - A very attractive plant with its nice soft pastel colours
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Rosy Morn' - Another popular oldie which looks good no matter how much light it grows under
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Royal Burgundy Supreme' - A beautiful albo-marginated form of Royal Burgundy, unfortunately every pup it produced was a "NOVAR"
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Roy's Rogue' - Imported from the USA and has unusual red seed capsules.
Please
register or login

All the best, Nev
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 00:16:21 by splinter1804 » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2017, 14:18:09 »

Nev I need a Rose Apple when you have a spare pup please. Also 'Reyenalla Rebel'. Two lovely plants.
Tangarine that you wanted is pupping but will be a little while.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2017, 22:33:42 »

You two are lucky to be able to swap pups!, I live out of range. Yes Kayleen, that Rose Apple would be my choice as well. Looks very nicely grown Nev. Nev under the S showing above, they are all our hybrids except for the first, neo shamrock.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 22:36:22 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2017, 00:21:55 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen and John - I have to agree with you both that 'Rose Apple' is a beautiful plant, however all is not as it seems. That picture shows the plant at the only time it looked really good and I keep that picture so I can look at it and “dream” that one day it will look as good again. Unfortunately, for some reason here where I live this plant is a very "cantankerous" (if that word can be applied to a plant). It's terribly slow growing and seems reluctant to make pups all of which could be due to the fact that it's quite cold sensitive.

It's one of those plant that will just make a single pup and "that's it"; then the Mother declines and dies, the pup matures, flowers makes one pup and the cycle repeats itself. In my collection I refer to it as a "heart breaker" as that picture shows it the only time it didn't have cold damage visible.

I got my first plant as a pup in a swap from a Queensland grower back in 2003 and in the fourteen years of ownership, I still only have one (not very attractive looking) plant which unfortunately is a reflection of a combination of our winter weather and my lack of growing skills.

Since I've had it I've moved it to many different spots and still can't find a place it likes. The fact is, the winters here are just too cold for it and I can't afford (nor do I want) a heated green house to solve the problem. When I started into brom's I decided if any plant wouldn't survive just under shade cloth alone, I wouldn't grow it and usually I just bin these failures. However I like this one so much I've made an exception of it and still persevere albeit with it without much success.

Kayleen – In view of what I’ve just written, your chances of getting a pup from my plant are less than slim and you would be better advised to try and find one in the Cairns area where it’s probably still grown. Unfortunately the lady I got it from has moved and no longer grows bromeliads but I do remember her saying she originally got her plant from a grower in Cairns. 

As for the Neo. ‘Reynella Rebel’, I do have several of these and they are fast growers, although like most variegated plants they do occasionally throw NOVARS. It originally started out as a plain plant. See history at http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=10265#10265

John – All I can say is that with a production line turning out hybrids like yours, you don’t need to be living near anyone to swap with, as you just keep making your own.

All the best, Nev.
Premium Advert
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2017, 06:40:55 »

Nev all  I can suggest is you fertilize it to the max, this does make pups and keep inside during your winter?. You need more than 1 plant as well. What are the parents? Thanks for the compliment re hybrids but as you know you always want what you can't have!

Cheers John
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:42:26 by jaga » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: