Bromeliad Forum
September 20, 2017, 18:21:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE A TO Z OF BROMELIADS  (Read 9793 times)
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 12:32:07 »

Nice John.
I have Bird Rock but the label was gone and I had a blank on the name. Like the colouring on B Hanson.
Have a few A & Bs but they are past their prime so just waiting for pups. With Annick I was at a friends place and she started with one plant a few years ago. She had about 50 plants hanging today. Some were very dark pink and some were just green & white. My plant is smaller than hers and she thinks there might be a very similar plant to Annick. Any Ideas? I wish I had had my camera with me. I will post a pic of my plant tomorrow as that was a pup very recently taken off.

Is your bright spot in the ground?

Save water, shower with a friend.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 03:40:32 »

Hi Kayleen,
I think there are several clones of 'Annick', I had a green & white that dyed out prior to collecting this one, can turn very red in full sun.
In hanging pot
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
In our garden wall, needs some tidying up and if you look closely you can see quite a bit of variation.
Please
register or login
Added another image to demonstrate, one pup is green & another is novar by the looks.
Please
register or login
Also one tried on a tree.
Please
register or login
John.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:53:06 by jaga » Logged
Premium Advert
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 04:00:15 »

Kayleen, The 'Bright spot' plant is well out of control and has completely covered the saucer pot it was planted in. The pot is mounted on top of a retaining wall post. We turned a retaining wall into a vertical brom garden with a saucer pot on each post.
Please
register or login
Pot is in there!
Please
register or login
Overall image of the wall, now very overgrown.
Please
register or login
John.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:06:37 by jaga » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 12:13:25 »

Looks good though.
I think I might put one of my Annick pups gradually into more sun. Having a look in the shade house today I have 3 other plants that are very similar so am wondering if mine may have been misnamed. Will grab some pics tomorrow.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 21:49:56 »

Hi everyone.

Sorry I haven't been posting but I've "out of commission"  the last week and unable to type due to a problem with the nerves in my hands, however they're settling down again now so things are getting back to normal but I've got a lot to catch up with.

It's good to see John and Kayleen have been keeping things going; I wonder where Conrad is, probably still tied up with too much working long hours and no time for the brom's or the forum.

Now where to start? I think at the Kaleen’s pictures would be a good place.

Kayleen - Your Neo. ‘Allan Freeman’ has a lot of colouring up to do yet Judging by the picture of it on the BCR. It was bred by Allan Freeman and is from Neo ‘Grace Darling’ x ‘Princess Grace’. For Allan Freeman to have named this plant after himself he must have been very proud of his achievements and considered it the “pick of the crop”. It’s certainly a wonderful colourful hybrid and I’m sure you can’t wait to see it realise its full colour potential. It’s one I wasn’t aware of but now goes to the top of my “Want List”
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=2877#2877

Neo. ‘Annick’ is another from the famous Chester Skotak stable and the pictures on the BCR ( http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=2937#2937 ) shows just how variable the colour can be as both plants shown are adult and fully mature and in flower. Either the plant itself is quite variable or it’s more greatly influenced by the degree of light under which it’s growing than other similar plants. I have a plant which is fully mature and it’s only showing slightly more colour than Kayleen’s and nothing like the colour of the one shown in the second picture of the BCR entry. (And mine’s hanging right up high beneath the shade cloth).

I didn’t realise that I had Neo ‘Blood Plum’ until the other day when I was looking for plants that needed repotting and spied this rather large colourful plant hanging high up in a 4” pot. (I usually plant my pups in smaller than usual pots as I find they develop roots quicker). When I got it down there were two almost mature plants in the pot. The original pup/plant had died away (probably got cooked in one of the very hot days we had) but the colour in these plants was magnificent and gone unnoticed due to it being hung so high up near the roof. (This is one of the drawbacks of suspending plants high up in the shade house)  What is it they say, “out of sight out of mind? When I looked it up on the BCR, I found that once again it’s another of Chester Skotak’s variegated beauties.
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3225#3225

The next plant has me very confused as you say it’s Neo.‘Babe’ yet it appear to be a mini. The plant registered as Neo.’Babe’ on the BCR is shown as being a cross between Neo. ‘Fairy Paint’ x concentrica and although there’s no picture shown, I don’t think these parents could have produced a plant of that smaller size. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3028#3028

There is another plant registered called Neo, ‘Grace's Babe’ which is a miniature and possible the same plant as yours. The register tells us, “Originally named as 'Babe' but slight name change made to save confusion with G. Anderson's 'Babe' See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=4689#4689

Neo ‘Black Pepper’ doesn’t appear on the BCR so it’s unregistered and I can’t check the details, but just looking at the growth habit, it does have some similarity to Neo. Pauciflora and it wouldn’t surprise me if this was in the parentage somewhere.

You definitely have to post another picture of Neo. ‘Allan Freeman’ when it’s fully coloured.

John – Neo. ’Bea Hanson’ is a popular plant here and has been ever since I started growing bromeliads. Not much known about its parentage which on the BCR is listed as “unknown” although Derek Butcher says this is Dr. Oeser seed derived hybrid from New Zealand. I once read where it is said to be named after a well-known New Zealand bromeliad enthusiast and one of the initiators of the N.Z. Bromeliad Society. Being from New Zealand, do you know any more about it?
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3076#3076

Neo. ‘Bird Rock’ is a plant that’s always fascinated me with those unusual wide silvery longitudinal bands on the underside of the leaves. It’s said to be a hybrid of Neo. 'Rosea Striata'. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3170#3170 I can’t find records of any breeding having been done with it  (at least not on the BCR)  and as I have plants of both 'Rosea Striata' and  ‘Bird Rock’ I’ve often thought about crossing them together but find my 'Bird Rock' is shy to flower and a slow grower and I’ve rarely seen flowers on it so consequently this cross was never done by me.

I think the fact that you are mounting it on a tree is a great idea as it will show its true beauty when viewed from below, just like the species Neo. spectabilis is often passed by until view from below when the true beauty of the pinkish under-leaf colouring and silvery banding is evident.

You plant of ‘Bright Spot’ olens x chlorosticta looks like a very vigorous grower, have you tried growing it perhaps a little less “hard” to see if the colour can be improved? It’s certainly a good sized specimen for a  miniature, how old is it?

I'll just add a few more  pic's and respond to the remaining posts tomorrow.

Neo. 'Bill Morris'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Blue Blood'
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Bold Blush'
Please
register or login

Neo. Braz-el
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Broulee Special' (Unregistered)
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Burbank' Variegata
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Burgundy Moss' (Unregistered)
Please
register or login

Neo. 'Burnsie's Spiral'
Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 22:09:27 »

Hi again - Just to finish commenting on the remaining pic's before I posted.

John - what you say and what you show with pictures just demonstrates what we've been discussing about the instability of some variegated plants. As for your plant of Bright Spot in your next post, well that is certainly a "pot full". I have a plant of 'Blushing Tiger' that's overgtrown the pot also but not quite as much as your plant.

Looking at the picture of the brom covered retaining wall; is this the same retaining wall you posted pictures of some years back on the old Garden Web Forums when you were just starting that project or am I confusing you with someone else? It looks just like a habitat pic with all the different plants growing together.

Kayleen - I had a few different plants of Annick which came as pups from different growers and even growing under the exact same conditions there is still some variation in colour so whether mine are all Neo. Annick or something similar I'll never know.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 01:59:53 »

Hi all, Nev, sorry to hear about the nerve pain, kind of stared to think something was up due to the time of your last post. I sort of know how you feel, I have Temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Nerve pain effects the left side of my face.
1-Yes bird rock is a interesting and unique plant. My original plant produced pups then dyed with no flower.
2-Yes it is our retaining wall project I think done in about 2005 that we showed a number of times. Not much has been done with it since and its now quite over grown. Nature has taken its course. The Bright Spot was planted as a single plant at that time in a 300 dia saucer pot. As with any mini the plants dye off from the center out so there is quite a hole there now. Its not really that exciting to me anymore so may pull it out and replace. This plant is responsible for producing 'Jags Bright Spark' If there is a vote for yes I can take a series of images of the wall garden in a new post?
3- Yes I had better remove those novar plants off the 'Annick'.
4- Never seen any version of 'Allan Freeman' as good as the BCR image and have often wondered about it. That BCR version would make anyone want that plant but dont think its here in NZ.

Some nice 'B's Nev, that Neo 'Broulee Special' looks a treat and I had forgotten about  'Burnsie's Spiral', Just checked mine and still no flower, really want to try this for hybridizing. If yours flowers Nev put something on it for me please!

John.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:06:19 by jaga » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 21:14:09 »

Hi everyone.

John – Following up on what you said about Burnsie’s Spiral, “If yours flowers Nev put something on it for me please” -  I certainly will, but I don’t remember ever seeing mine flower although it’s now “hanging” too high to see anyway, as it kept toppling over when on the bench, so I doubt I’d see a flower if it were flowering.

According to Derek Butcher who says on the BCR……… “which rarely produces offsets and flowering at 50 cm high”. May be a xNiduregelia??" (That's interesting isn't it?) http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3408#3408

I think it may be one of those “difficult to flower plants” as mine is over 50cm high and has been grown in several different positions and is currently hanging in good light beneath 75% beige shade cloth and still no flowers.

Derek also says it “rarely produces offsets”; yet mine does so freely. I currently have four or five in pots which I took off two years ago and the plant still has three pups on it which I didn’t remove as they were too small at the time, (see picture).

Anyway, I'll get it down occasionally now and keep a watch out for flowers and take it from there.

'Burnsie's Spiral'

Please
register or login

The light coloured plant at the top is the original plant, the light coloured plant (bottom left) is a pup from three years ago, the two light green pups on the right and one on the left (partly obscured by the lower leaves of the top plant) are the pups that were too young to remove when I took the other pups and there’s also another smaller pup peeping out from the left of the pup on the bottom right. So I wouldn't say my plant "rarely produces offsets".

All the best, Nev.

P.S. Some time back we had a similar discussion about Neo. ‘Shelldance’ and it was agreed that if we managed to get it to flower we would also try putting something on it to see if it is fertile or not. Mine has recently flowered and I pollinated thee flowers with different pollen and they all seem to have taken……..However, every other flower seems to have been pollinated as well so it seems that (my ‘Shelldance’ at least) is a “selfer”
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 13:08:55 »

My friend has a Shelldance that has flowered that is full of seed. I am going to get a few pods off her and see what happens with them. I was going to ask if you wanted some Nev but glad yours has flowered.

I chop my Burnie's Spiral down every so often and repot as the stem grows so quickly. If let go it would be more than a mtr high. Never had a pup or flower.

‘Allan Freeman’  was only a pup potted up about 6mths ago so am hoping for colour.

Neo.‘Babe is a mini . I will write  ‘Grace's Babe’ on the back of the name tag.

The Burgandy Moss I got off you is much greener. Have just taken 3 pups off the plant you sent.

Love your Broulee Special.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 21:16:40 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - Even though I have plenty of Shelldance seed (in the pipeline) I'd still like a bit of the seed you mention for comparison if you can manage it please, I could send you some from the crosses I made in return (if they take)

As for your Burnsie's Spiral, maybe if you don't chop it down and just let it keep growing up it will produce pups,as that's what happened to mine when I kept cutting off the top and replanting it . It wasn't until I looked at an old stalk that I had tossed in the rubbish that I spotted a couple of pups starting. Do you keep the old stalk or do you do as I did and toss it as well? I don't cut the top from the old lower stalk anymore and I get plenty of pups. (An untidy plant, but plenty of pups). A similar thing happens to Vriesea ospinae also and you can get extra pups from the old stalk.

I'll bet you can't wait for the Neo. Allan Freeman to show the colour that only the Queensland light can produce.

As for Neo 'Broulee Special' (unregistered), I'll see if I can find a pup to send you. Are you still at the same address?

I find the 'Burgundy Moss' is greatly influenced by the amount of light it's grown under. The plant in Pic.1 is grown beneath 75% beige shade cloth and even though the plant in Pic.2 isn't as mature, this is the colour they produce for me when grown under 75% green shade cloth.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.

Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 12:39:31 »

Thanks Nev. Did you get my email on the Nid pups? You will have to look at the post again as I have posted more pics on it.
I have some pups from the first pics I can send you. Will look at my Allan Freeman mum tomorrow and see if I have another pup on it. I did get some seed off it but don't know what it is crossed with.
I will be able to get some Shelldance seed for you in a couple of weeks as my friend has just headed overseas on an orchid tour.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 20:03:31 »

Hi everyone.

Kayleen - Sorry it's taken me so long to respond but like broken down car, I've been out of commission for several days, then there was a big day with my grandson's sixth birthday and then a brom meeting last Saturday. I've just come down from the high I got at the meeting when I was presented with Life Membership. I'd just finished giving a presentation when the President came over and announced the award and you could have knocked me over with a feather; I was so speechless I couldn't think of what to say except thanks, anyway I'm a very proud recipient.

I've sent you a message about the Nid pups and I'd also be interested in trying some Allan freeman seeds if you have a few spare. I'm not that worried that you don't know the pollen parent as I often find the results from this type of seed (with an unknown father) very interesting and although not always what's expected, sometimes some nice surprises.

There's many nice hybrids registered where the name of the pollen parent isn't given, and I expect they are all from a similar situation as your seed from Neo. Allan Freeman where the pollination was made by either insects or small birds from an unknown pollen donor, but that doesn't stop them from being nice plants.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 01:38:25 »

Wow Nev!! a big congrats on your life club membership.

John
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 12:54:51 »

Congratulations Nev. I am sure it is a well deserved award.

Premium Advert
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 03:34:55 »

Time to start on the 'C'
One I used as a transmitter
carolinae x concentrica x carolinae , known as tripple c here. Two views.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: