Bromeliad Forum
December 15, 2017, 22:42:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aechmea id request  (Read 1090 times)
dan

« on: November 28, 2015, 08:38:59 »

Hi all. Can any one id this for me? Grows as quite a large plant and spikey. Thanks
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:27:39 »

Hi Dan,

Looks like Aechmea nudicaulis on one of the many varieties thereof. These are also many, many hybrids off Aechmea nudicaulis.

Here are a few links or visit FCBS Photo index for species and varieties.  http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm

http://fcbs.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=photo&uid=default&photono=101&ww=on&mh=5&view_records=View+Records

http://fcbs.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=photo&uid=default&photono=826&ww=on&mh=5&view_records=View+Records

For Hybrids visit Bromeliad Cultivar Register  http://registry.bsi.org/

Conrad
Premium Advert
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 21:42:23 »

Hi everyone.

Dan – Welcome to our forum; it’s always good to see a new face and from my point of view, especially one from Australia as there haven’t been a lot of us on here over the years.

This forum only has a few active members now and we’re struggling to try and keep it alive, and it’s certainly good if we can add as many members as we can get as they all help to keep this valuable resource going. It contains a wealth of information in the past threads which are all accessible as are the thousands of pictures. A giant “bromeliad encyclopaedia” is probably a better way to describe it.

Anyway now to your question; I don’t grow a lot of Aechmeas so I’m not very knowledgeable about them, but I do have friends who are and if we have enough info I can also ask them on your behalf, so tell us all you can about the plant. Especially the size e.g. how high is it? Is it in a pot or in the garden? Is it a fast or slow grower? Where did you get it? Has it been fertilised and if so what rate? I know, questions, question, questions; but the more info we have the better the chance of an accurate ID.

I’m not sure that I agree that it could be a nudicaulis as it seems to be missing what’s commonly referred to as “the thumb print”, this is a mark at the base of the leaves which looks like someone has pressed hard with their thumb and left an imprint and is visible on most genuine nudicaulis plants. (See area indicated by the point of the arrows in the attached picture of a variegated Ae. nudicaulis)

The other thing I’ve noticed is what looks like “dimpling” on the leaves which I haven’t noticed before on any of my nudicaulis plants. On the other hand this may just be a trick of the light shining through a tree or shade cloth which gives this appearance and it may not be dimpled at all. It’s a striking looking plant and I’d be interested to see the flowers when they are open and if you could manage a close-up picture of them that would be great.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: