Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:10:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shell Dance.  (Read 561 times)
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« on: November 19, 2015, 09:26:29 »

I saw a Shell Dance in flower today. It is definitely a Neo.
I have asked for pics to be emailed to me and will post them when I get them

Save water, shower with a friend.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 21:43:32 »

H everyone.

That's good news Sunshine, at last it's been tracked down while in flower. I'm looking forward to seeing the flowers.

All the best, Nev.
Premium Advert
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:31:19 »

Shelldance in flower.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Save water, shower with a friend.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 20:11:22 »

Hi everyone.

Sunshine - Would you believe that on Sunday, only a few days after you posted the info that you'd seen Neo.'Shelldance' in flower, we had a garden visit from our local Bromeliad Society and I overheard one of the members saying to another, "mine's never flowered for me" and when I looked to see what they were talking about, it was one of my smaller plants of Neo. 'Shelldance' coming into flower.

If it hadn't been for them I would never have noticed it as the plant was in among a batch of plants I was getting ready for a brom sale and had been squeezed into an out of the way corner to make more space. I immediately checked on my other three plants to see if they were flowering as well, but no; it was only the one that had been earmarked to sell.

Needless to say, it won't be getting sold now and I have time to think what I can cross it with when the flowers finally open. What about the rest of you, any ideas?

All the best, Nev.
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 20:43:59 »

Nice plant Sunshine. I have been looking into the genealogy of the plant. Fairy Paint is a cultivar of unknown parentage, and Shelldance is a seedling from Fairy paint and unknown pollen donor. To me it looks more like a bigeneric than pure Neo. The extended spike does not remind me of many neos that do that. A genetic mutation can also come into play.

But I am only speculating and welcome correction.

Conrad
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 21:22:10 »

Hi all, its certainly good to see another photo of this plant at flowering, many thanks Sunshine. Not sure if its my eyesight but it would be great if poss Sunshine to get a close up of the individual flower ?. The flower/raised crown/central spear shaped leaves here does look different compared to a typical neo to me from what I can see but Im no botantist.
, but my bet would be on it been a bigeneric.

Cheers Jaga
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 21:05:40 »

Hi everyone.

The answer to the puzzle goes on; is Shelldance a Neoregelia or as some believe, a bi-generic hybrid, or more specifically a xNeotanthus as suggested at a meeting of the Bromeliad Society of South Australia.

Andrew Steens in his book 'Bromeliads the Connoisseur's Guide' suspects it is simply an extreme variation of 'Fairy Paint’ (The seed parent) and compares it to Neo ‘Burnsie’s Spiral’ as well as his tissue cultured sport of Neo. ‘Purple Star’ which has since been registered as Neoregelia ‘Exotica Purple Wave’.
See:   http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=10053#10053

I too have a small plant that came to me in a swap as a Neoregelia and clearly isn’t. It came with the name tag of Neo. ‘Kel’, and although it is unregistered, I know it’s widely grown in Queensland and was possibly bred in that state, however all of this is supposition as there is no written evidence to support it. My belief is that it’s possibly a small xNeomea hybrid, but I guess just like Neo ‘Shelldance’, we’ll never know for sure.

What I do know is that with a combination of stored Neoregelia and Nidularium pollen, plus the fact that both Neo.’Kel’ and Neo. ‘Shelldance’ are both flowering at present, there will be a lot of different crosses done as well as a few “selfings” in the near future.

All the best, Nev.

Neoregelia or xNeomea 'Kel'

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login