Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:10:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you recognize these....  (Read 1063 times)
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« on: November 07, 2015, 16:18:52 »

Hi All.

I have two NoID plants.

The First a Tiger Neo. Sold to me as Hannibal lector, it is not. Do you know what it is?

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Please register or login

The second a specie Vriesia.

Hard leaves with fine spotting on it. Good grower and generous pupper, but does not flower often. I have had then several years with no flowers yet, but from one plant I now have 10.

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Thanks

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 20:08:34 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad - I think your "Tiger type" Neoregelia has a fair bit of the 'Skotak's Tiger' look about it both in colour and pattern. You don't say what size it is which would be another clue; but based on what I'm seeing I think possibly a strong connection to 'Skotak's Tiger' and maybe one of its hybrids, but Hannibal Lector it ain't!

Although I'm not much into Vrieseas I do have a few and one is a species called Vr. saundersii which I think could be the plant you have. You don't say what colour the flowers were and with this plant the whole inflorescence is yellow.

The amount of spotting varies greatly from plant to plant and is further influenced by the degree of light under which it's grown, furthermore there are many hybrids that look similar to the original species but with spotting that's less pronounced. If you check out this link you will find heaps of pic's which will assist you with identification. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=vriesea+saundersii+images

In your first picture there is a quite nasty colony of Flyspeck Scale on the bases of two lower leaves (on the left) which you need to attend to otherwise it will spread through your whole collection. They are not as disastrous as many people make them out to be but are more difficult to remove than the usual softer scale.

Don't just scrape them off, by doing this you are just removing the mother and spreading the eggs.
See article in our April 2008 Illawarra Bromeliad Society "Newslink" at: http://www.bromeliad.org.au/news/Ill0408.htm 

All the best, Nev.  
chefofthebush

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:29:23 »

Thanks Nev.

I have saundersii and it has a bluer / metallic colour to the leaf. This one is a olive colour. saundersii is also a more open rosette than my mystery plant as it is more closed / upright / conical in habit.

The tiger type is only about 10 inches tall ( 25 cm). A very willing pupper and I have also only spotted a inflorescence twice in the past 6 years. The colour has picked up nicely now that I have placed them on a bench in full sun and they are well stressed. In shade the leaves are green with the dark banding and no blush at all.

Conrad
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:30:02 »

Hi Conrad, both plants are going to be quite difficult to ID.
1, can you tell me does that Neo have white flowers?, I'm kind of thinking its a F2 of one of the HL.
2, Was the vriesea obtained in South Africa?, if so maybe check with others there. Its got me stumped at the moment as its unlike any I have or seen.

Cheers Jaga
chefofthebush

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 19:47:21 »

Jaga, The Neo has white flowers but as stated is a very shy bloomer. I also thought it might be a unregistered cultivar. Stressed it really colours up nice.

As for the Vriesea.... we are having some desperately needed rain now, and when it clears I will take a photo of both the NoID and saundersii together. I will try and put some ethylene chemical into it and see if it will flower then. Then post that pic.

Nev thanks for the spotting of the scale. I bought in a few Neo Sundays Best and they were riddles with scale. I have been applying weekly sprays for the control of insects. I am now very careful before accepting any plants without a good inspection. Quarantine and medication is then administered when needed.

Conrad
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 21:58:45 »

Conrad,
Guess I should have asked but does that Neo self set seed ?, that + the white flower and the look of it really makes me feel its a HL F2, there are countless thousands of these about, most common here is the HL Clarise F2.

That Vriesea is not the saundersii we have here.

cheers Jaga
chefofthebush

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 15:26:23 »

I have checked every time for fruits after they have flowered (by habit) but never found any. as for the Vriesea, I agree - no saundersii. I just hate having those NoID's.

Conrad
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 23:06:26 »

Conrad, have checked your vriesea with a friend, maybe Vr  'Hoelscheriana' or hybrid of it. Will need to compare flower to confirm.

Cheers Jaga.
chefofthebush

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 16:21:49 »

Thanks John & Agatha, I have given then a dose of Ethylene chemical and will wait for the bloom and post again. I will check out your and your friends suggestion.

Conrad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: