Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:13:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Types of Potting Mixes  (Read 567 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« on: October 09, 2015, 22:19:47 »

Hi everyone.

I thought I'd open this thread with a topic that's probably been discussed between bromeliad growers more than any other, and that is "Types of Potting Mixes".

It's been said that here are as many different types of potting mixes as there are growers, yet we still chop and change our mixes hoping to find the "Holy Grail".

The potting mix I'm currently using is pretty simple and is composed of 50% commercial bark based Orchid Potting Mix and 50% Coir mulch pieces. I use this because I find it convenient, reasonably priced and my brom's seem to grow well in it.

So come on, lets hear from the rest of you, what do you use and do you find it successful?

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:33:44 »

Hi all,
Nev I keep it very simple and just buy the cheapest bag potting mix, 2 for $12.00, its just 1/3 pumice
, 1/3 bark. 1/3 soil, minimal balanced fert. Just less mess and convenient so if I see or need to pot up its there.
I'm only a small type brom grower but I know the commercial growers get there's mixed by the truck load for each genus.
Cheers Jaga.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:39:45 »

Hi all, further to above decided to pot this seedling Neo this evening so took a few images.

First I select a pot that will hopefully not need to be changed for the plant size latter. I normally break up waste polystyrene as drainage for the base which also serves as insulation in the colder months.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
I put in a layer of potting mix to suit the plant root ball size so the plant sits about 20mm below the pot rim. This gives me the chance to add another 15mm latter if the plant pushes up ward as many seem to do.

Please
register or login
I place potting mix around the root ball to about 1/2 its height then give a light sprinkling of balanced general feet as my potting mix as very little in it.

Please
register or login
My plant repotted, now hope its a good one, only time will tell. This ones pattern look interesting at the moment.
Its a cross, Skotaks Tiger x Nelson F2.

Please
register or login

Cheers Jaga.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: