Bromeliad Forum
February 18, 2018, 04:04:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for Spring photos everybody!  (Read 3058 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 22:12:34 »

Hi everyone.

Jaga - Thanks for sorting out what was meant by "move phone", I should have been able to work it out, but there's so many new names for things these days that I get a bit bamboozled at times.

The weather has definitely gone mad here, yesterday was exactly 20 degrees cooler than the days before. I don't think its the 30+ degree temperature that does the damage, I think it’s the sudden change, and now it's dropped back to lower than what's normal for this time of year.

You didn’t say what the names of the nice very dark coloured plants on the left and right of the big patterned leaf Vriesea in the last picture you posted on Oct. 5 were.

I had a tree fern looking just like yours with beautiful new growth sprouting out and the next day there was nothing; the blood white cockatoos had bitten them all off and dropped them on the ground. I think they’re the most destructive birds I know.

I haven’t had much experience growing Vrieseas from seed as I mainly do Neoregelias, would you like to share with us the method you successfully use?

Conrad – I’m posting a pic of my Neo Silverado which in which I’m sure you will see the influence of Takemura Grande. It’s growing out in the garden beneath a Pony Tail Palm which protects it from full sun for most of the day.

Just a few pic’s to finish with (ones the cold didn’t damage) to much

Neo Silverado

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Neo Small World

Please
register or login

Neo. Stairway

Please
register or login

Neo Sun king (Red Form)

Please
register or login

Neo Syncopate

Please
register or login

All the best Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 03:04:16 »

Hi all,
Nev I believe the neo's appear dark due to the bright back ground.

Neo on left is one I have shown before, its a a Nelson F2 which came out variegated.
Please
register or login
At the time I thought it would be a one off but it had 2 pups just starting, if you zoom in you will see variegation. The flower sepals were also variegated, hence will soon check on the seed.
Please
register or login

Having issues getting the unloader to work so shall post Rh side separately.
Jaga
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 03:16:11 »

OK part 2
Plan view
Please
register or login
Plant on RH side, is Neo Royal Hawaiian x Skotaks Tiger
Please
register or login
Another same grex as above used for hybridizing last year, Conrad & Nev this plant has been used as a pollen parent.
Please
register or login
Jaga
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 18:45:22 »

Nice spread, Jaga.

That second picture has brilliant "teeth". I can see a plant like that costing me litres in blood! Stotack Tiger has good strong genes in the spines. I am still hoping to get myself a plant or two. I have Neo carcharodon tegrina and used that in a few crossings, but nothing serious. As a pollen receptor, it did not give me any seed. I did do a few weird crosses with its pollen though - Neo Blue Blood x Neo carcharodon tegrina  is one. Waiting for the seedling to get big enough to transplant. Cant see much coming out of that mix.

Best wishes,

Conrad
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 06:24:02 »

As Neo Silverado has been mentioned above, here's another cross we made, Skotaks Tiger x 'Silverado'

Top view
Please
register or login
Side view
Please
register or login
Cheers Jaga.
chefofthebush

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 11:32:49 »

Hi all, just finished limping around my garden after a fall off my motorbike! One would think that a half a century of knowledge would give me some sense, but alas I remain an idiot! But I now have some time for more pictures.

Neo Moon over ford dix X Hanibal lector
Please register or login

Neo Storm Warning - before onset of flower
Please register or login

Neo Storm Warning - before onset of flower
Please register or login

Neo Blue Blood
Please register or login

Neo Barbarian (light form)
Please register or login

Neo First Prize
Please register or login

Neo burle-maxima species
Please register or login

Neo Red Planet
Please register or login

Conrad
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 23:02:35 »

Very nice selection of nicely coloured Neo's Conrad. Big diff in colour with that 'storm warning' before and after!, which happens with a lot of Neos and is always interesting.
You have a nice yellow in that Barbarian as well. Much better colour than most of mine here as our light levels are just getting a point now where I can tell colour is coming back.
Hope your leg is not too bad?, I'm assuming if you can still limp about your be on the mend soon. Never been on a motor bike even, always thought that 2 wheels was a unstable formula.

Cheers, Jaga.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 06:33:12 »

Hi all, another Vriesea in flower.
Please
register or login

Jaga
chefofthebush

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 12:03:18 »

Nice Vriesea, Good Colour. Do you have a name? I am always a little let down by the foliage types as their flowers are a little disappointing. Hope someone crosses one with a stunning flower.

My ego is more bruised than my leg! Nothing that won't heal in a few weeks. Sprained ankle is a pain, though.

Jaga do you have any Foliage Vrieseas that have brilliant flowers?

Conrad
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:05:54 by chefofthebush » Logged
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 21:40:39 »

Hi everyone.

Jaga - That's a nice looking Vriesea with the flower spike and like Conrad I would like to know the name as it seems somehow familiar and I have the feeling I've seen it before, perhaps among some of Pete Coyle's pic's on Face Book.

Conrad - Although hybridisers have been trying for a long time to combine beautiful flowers with beautiful foliage on Vriesea hybrids, I don't think many have been successful as you don't see too many pictures posted.

You'll find that patterned leaf Vrieseas like Neoregelias are grown for their coloured foliage and not the flowers which are usually insignificant in size (Neo's) or poor in colour (Vrieseas).

As you're only a young man perhaps this is an avenue you could take with your hybridising as I'm sure sooner or later magnificent plants will eventually be produced, just the same as I believe that we've only just seen the "tip of the iceberg" with inter-generic crosses and the best is yet to come.

I guess the best place to start would be the BCR to check what crosses have been registered so far and what parents were used.

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 22:31:13 »

Morning all,
This white one I have posted before, its one of many look a like creations from Andrew Maloy. Its a cross between Vreisea 'Tasman Cherry Wine' and 'Snowman'. Grex is called ' Cherry Snow', its not registered.
Keep a eye out on the BCR, what's new. I did a cross , ospinea var gruberi x Angela, To be named 'Jags Hunua Fire' has a wonderful flower! Grown by a friend of mine. Should appear this week.
I have other crosses done with ospinea var gruberi as well that have not flowered yet but I did post them here earlier this year, http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=2335.0. All these crosses were in mind to get a good combo of foliage and flower.
Nev I'm sure there are a number of others, the big issue is the nice flowing types normally default to green leaves.

Nev glad you think I'm young, your a hard task master!

Remember to check BCR this week.

Cheers Jaga
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 23:59:06 by jaga » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 23:16:35 »

Heres a link to above ospinea var gruberi x 'Angela',
VRIESEA ‘Jags Hunua Fire’ now registered, http://registry.bsi.org/?id=13096&whatsnew#13096

Cheers Jaga
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: