Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:12:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for Spring photos everybody!  (Read 2991 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« on: September 26, 2015, 01:23:34 »

Hi all spring is here, a few images.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Happy spring to all in the southern hemisphere!
Jaga.
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 14:46:55 »

Thanks for starting a new topic, Jags!

In SA we have gone from mild winter to mid summer in a few weeks! I will get the camera out and start clicking.

How about all the other readers? Show us what you got!

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 21:36:00 »

Hi everyone.

Boys - I thought everyone had thrown away their keyboards; its been so quiet on here lately with nothing about brom's since my last post of the 18th Sept.

I don't know about spring photos, I think spring has passed us by and gone back to winter. We had a few nice warm spring days and I was able to make a start on the "big clean-up" after the bad winter which caused a lot of cold damage among the brom's.

I was just starting to make some progress and then the cold south west winds started blowing the cold air up from the snowfields once again and then the rain started and it's still raining on and off and everything underfoot is so wet, muddy, cold and most unpleasant. We are at the high end of the street so I can imagine what it's like down the other end.

I'm still trying to tidy up after our spring show preparations and when I get sorted out I'll post a few pic's of some of our show plants.

It's good to see the forum is alive after all (just).

All the best, Nev.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:42:00 »

Some 'enthusiasm' is required to keep this forum going guy's....

Forgot to explain in the first image I posted, the tree is a native to New Zealand coastal regions in the North island called a Kowhai, it always flowers right on the start of spring.

Nev your better weather must be coming, its still very wet here between the odd 1-2 fine days.

Conrad I have discovered the latest cheap smart phones take photos just as good as the camera and its very easy to upload to here.

Its spring all over the southern hemisphere so lets see some images.

Cheers Jaga
chefofthebush

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 21:37:46 »

Ok Here are some taken today in between the rain and some sunshine! I am not posting names. Just pics!

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 22:52:51 »

Hi everyone.

Jaga - They're great pictures, I haven't got around to taking any yet as I'm still cleaning up the cold damage but I have some of our spring show, would they be acceptable?

I had an email from Conrad who is having problems with this site. He says, "I have had a real bugger of a time trying to log on the Forum. It seems to accept my username and password, but as I want to look at pages, I am logged out again and cannot get in . Have you experienced this?"

I found that on the home page of the forum the first heading is "News" and only yesterday I noticed (for the first time) it is changing all the time with different heading going on and off. One of these headings is "Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za" so I passed this on to Conrad and hope he can get some help there. 

I personally haven't had this problem and can't help except to ask if anyone else on here can help Conrad

All the best, Nev.
chefofthebush

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 20:03:12 »

must have been a glitch on my PC. working from my laptop now.! Success!

Thanks Nev!
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 04:54:15 »

Hi all. Nev & Conrad, I'm just using my move phone and have not any issue re log in all seeing the images. But have had issues trying to upload images and doing posting. Some days the uploaded does not work
Others days my typing disappears so suggest web site is a bit unstable. Your photos are great Conrad! Will post this then comment.
Cheers
Jaga.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 23:11:58 by jaga » Logged
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 07:56:24 »

Conrad just checked on the PC and seems fine as well. I can see by the colour of your plants you have had plenty of good light and are ahead of me, especially the last Neo image, nice yellow with red markings, what is that one?. Very neat to see so many of your flowering varieties , those Vriesea spikes are a 'picture' for colour I bet! and although im not really into the tills admire the flowers, all nice to see. Do you have birds or bats there that do pollinating?.

Cheers, JAGA
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:11:07 »

A few in flower.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Very happy gardening all.
Jaga.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 21:01:00 »

Hi everyone.

We're having crazy weather here and I'm still cleaning up the cold damaged plants from our coldest winter (in my lifetime anyway) and although were only one month into spring, yesterday we had the hottest spring day in the Illawarra for 73 years at 31 degrees C. and that record looks like being broken today with a forecast of 32.9

I know this isn't that hot by general standards, but the sudden change from lower temperatures is a bit of a worry and can possibly cause more plant damage on the other end of the scale as the plants would only just be starting to acclimatise from the cold to the warmer temperatures and hopefully I won't be cleaning out heat damaged plants in a week or two.

All the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

chefofthebush

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 21:51:50 »

My PC seems to be acting it's age. Almost 10 years old, maybe it needs retirement. The laptop will do my online work now.

Thanks for the assistance Jaga & Nev.

Nev, Sorry to hear about your weather. Here we have had no winter at all. One or two cold days does not a winter make! Hope it starts warming there soon.

Jaga, the Yellow and Red Neo in Neoregelia 'Tiger Head'. I have a few tigers. The Maroon Vriesea is unknown but the branched red / yellow is 'Tiffany'.

Your Vrieseas are are amazing. Wish I could get some. I have just ordered in 80+ plants. Our currency....R 6000.00   = U$ 550.00. Mostly flowering types but a few foliage ones too. Hope they arrive next week. They will be mostly for parent stock plants. I will also attempt some hybridizing on them as well.

Conrad

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 22:30:40 »

Hi everyone – Firstly let me apologise to Jaga and Conrad for not commenting on their pictures. I realise that pictures are a very big part of our posts and comments are always welcomed, however I’m afraid I was so concerned about the changeability of our weather and trying to find a way that Conrad could get help for his computer problem  that I forgot to comment. (Incidentally Conrad, it’s good to see everything’s back to normal again)

Conrad – I must compliment you on the high quality of your pictures; if only I could get mine that good I’d be a very happy old man but I think I’ve found the problem now and it’s because I’m getting bit unsteady on my feet that I think the camera is moving, hence the lack of clarity in my pic’s. Today I start to try and rectify the problem and I’m off to buy a tripod to see if that helps.

You say you’re “not posting names, just pics” so am I to understand that you have all the names of the plants in the pic’s? If so, is the plant in the second pic Neo ‘Silverado’ or one of its hybrids? I have a similar plant with the silvery scurf on the top of the leaves which I find very attractive and suspect the scurf was passed on from the ‘Takemura Grande’ parent as my ‘Takemura Grande’ plant exhibits it as well.

What is the name of the plant in picture eight? It has great colour which I suspect is from being grown in good light, am I correct? Also the name of the Tilly in the last pic. I’m sure I have it but it doesn’t have a name; what’s more for me to have it, it must be one of the more common ones.

Really great photography which has excellent clarity and shows every little detail. It’ the next best thing to being in your garden, so keep up the good work.

Jaga – What’s a “move phone”? I know I’m not a technical person, but that’s one I haven’t heard of before.

That’s a great lot of colour in the last batch of pictures but I’m a bit puzzled by the pic’s of the very dark coloured plants on the left and right of the big patterned leaf Vriesea I the last picture, are they dark foliaged Aechmeas or Neo’s?

Nice plants all of them; are there any of your hybrids among them?

The unknown maroon coloured Vriesea could be Vr. ‘Purple Cockatoo’; mine is normally a bit darker, but it’s growing on the shady side of the house beneath 50% shade cloth and because you are growing in good light may be why yours seems a bit lighter than mine. Below is a link to the BROMELIAD SOCIETY OF AUSTRALIA site and there are some pic’s there for comparison. Although the flowers on those plants seem to be pale green the colour of the flowers on my plants are bright yellow like the ones in your pic.

http://www.bromeliad.org.au/pictures/Vriesea/Purple_Cockatoo2.htm

Well that’s about all for today

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 23:08:04 »

Gosh! That's certainly hot for this time of year Nev,  I read today that weather system is also causing very high temps in the South Island of NZ up to 30. The early heat will not be good for the exposed broms do hope you have your prize ones covered? also meant to say 'Mobile' Nev, have fixed on the previous post.

Conrad sounds to me as though you have a good haul coming that will be exciting!. If you are all interested in growing Vriesea from seed, I have spare fresh seed at the moment?

Another image I meant to show above, really just to show off the new growth on the tree fern beyond.
Please
register or login

Aechmea cauldata.
Please
register or login
Cheers, Jaga
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 23:51:33 by jaga » Logged
Premium Advert
chefofthebush

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 16:20:46 »

Thanks Nev. The dusty charcoal coloured Neo is Takamure Grande. The Last Tilli a cultivar Ed Dorothy -  my plant is not as intense in colour as the FCBS pictures are. Takamure grande is growing in almost total shade here. Any lighter area and the leaves burn. The Neo Tiger Head is growing on a table top in almost full sun, a few hours of shade from a Monkey Puzzle Tree in the front garden. I promise to place names with the next batch of photos!

Jaga, Oh Seed would be welcome! I have started Vriesias late last year and the seeds are germinating now. Mostly Vriesea glutinosa x an unknown purple branched spike cultivar. You can contact me on my personal email chefofthebush@gmail.com.

I will be posting a few more pictures soon.

Best wishes,

Conrad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: