Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:12:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the most.....?  (Read 953 times)
gonzer

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« on: March 08, 2015, 00:15:48 »

...times you've tried to grow one particular species or hybrid and kept failing? I know that some folks are as stubborn as a mule and just will NOT capitulate and admit failure.  Good money after bad.
For me, if I can't grow it after 3 tries it's sayonara!

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 21:37:50 »

Hi everyone.

Gonz - That's very good information. When I grew orchids some fifty years ago, a very respected orchid nurseryman and show judge said much the same to me when I was discussing the difficulty I was having with a particular plant.

Basically he said, "not everyone can grow everything successfully; end of story. With some plants you try and fail continually and if you continue it will eventually break your spirit, so concentrate on what you can grow well and forget the others"

I too found that to be good advice and have followed it ever since.

All the best, Nev.
Premium Advert

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:04:02 »

After two failures I give up. I always have something else to take its place.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 06:23:19 »

Hi all, A number of brom genus comes to mind but the below is starting to push the limits for me.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

I cant get them to look even half decent and the Hol on the right has got to tipping point . Below is a close up of the result of the third generation since I got HOL edmundoi 4 years ago. The plant seems to get to the size of the bigger one below then pups with the mother dying soon after. This has happened consistantly 3 years running. Of course I have taken the pup off and started again each time . The smaller plant is still attached to whats left of the mother and will be lucky to survive. They need and get very high light and as much heat as poss , watered sparingly in the summer and kept dry in the winter and inside or year round. Any other advise would be welcome. So anyway Ive told my self this will be the last try.

Please
register or login

cheers jaga
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 21:13:59 »

Hi everyone.

Jaga, I've never grown these plants but the first thing that jumps out at me is how dry your potting mix is and they appear a bit dehydrated; how often do you water them? Maybe a little coco-peat in the mix for moisture retention could help.

I don't know if this is relevant to these plants on not, but a lot of the growers here have found that certain Billbergias seem to be getting smaller and smaller and after discussions in a workshop, the reason agreed upon is because people are continuing to remove pups before they are of sufficient size.

All the best, Nev.
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:18 »

Hi John.

I've found when smaller Hoh pups like these are removed, they are painfully SLOOOOW to put out roots and start growing, even when kept warm. I kept my same H. edmundoi pup as yours moist in a fine pumice/perlite mix with food added for the first 6 months at least in the green house, and only potted it in 50/50 bark fines/pumice mix when roots had well developed. Once it's potted (with a bit of slow release food added again), it will be fine. Give it high light and warmth upstairs with your hardened seedlings, BUT water it lots when young, like you would a normal pup, your mix does look dry ?

Mine is 50cm tall now and very vase-like looking good, only now have I stopped watering it as much, but it still gets a bit. I don't have any pups yet, so haven't tried one outside, but I think it will do okay here. Dave grows his outside, no probs, and Mark Van K had his one on his roof for a year in Herne Bay from a teenage size and not a mark on it ?

Cheers, Graeme
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 04:30:11 »

Thanks Nev and Graeme for your valuable input. Im off right now to water. As for the pup size it has been out of my control. The small pup comes each time from the bigger plant which really is still pup size, then the bigger plant dies. This has been the pattern for 3 years now and I was thinking it was due to root rot from over watering so have been trying very little water. Im also of the opinion that small plastic house Graeme although very good for the seedlings does not get great ventilation and as we now finally have closed in the level 5 conservatory area with glass am going to try them in this new spot and see if they make through the coming winter.
Still a lot of work to go inside here including water proof membrane to the floor then tiles but here a sneak peak.
Please
register or login

Cheers Jaga
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:34:56 by jaga » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: