Bromeliad Forum
September 25, 2017, 06:27:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vriesea Hieroglyphica  (Read 890 times)
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Bromeliad, orchids, desert rose
Hobbies: Travel, astronomy

« on: December 22, 2014, 21:23:00 »

Hi all
Season greetings to all,.
I have three hieroglyphica (hope thats how you spell it) coming into flower, and am going to try some crossing.
Does anyone no the best time of the day to take pollen and to use the hieroglyphica as a pod parent.
How long does the polllen stay OK to use.
Thanks for any information in advance.
Cec
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:52:14 »

Hi Cec, since you have 3 you have plenty of opportunity as these hieroglyphica have a lot of flowers. Opening time is a little dependent on your weather conditions and from memory as I have not used this plant it starts in the evening (somebody correct me if Im wrong) and through to about 9am on the following morning. If you are going to put pollen on to hieroglyphica you should force the flower open just before its due to open in order to remove the 6 anthers before there pollen develops as otherwise there will be a high chance of self pollination. If you put the pollen in a cool shady place in a closed container it will be viable for a couple of days, putting it in the fridge say a zip lock bag inside a closed container should give you a week and then there's the freezer option as before a zip lock airtight bag inside a sealed container will give you 3 months or longer but once you defrost it it all must be used as will no longer be any good put back so best package in small amounts - say enough to do 1-2 flowers. So best time to pollinate for night opening flowers is about 11pm onward as long as you have removed the anthers. Pollen can still be collected the following morning. Hope this is of some use, cheers Jaga
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 19:28:52 »

Hi everyone.

Cec - I haven't had any experience with pollinating patterned foliage Vrieseas but I do know from what I've read, that they are normally pollinated at night by moths or even tiny bats in some countries.

From what I've read about hybridising and what I've been told by some friends who have used this plant, it seems around 9.00pm - 10.00pm is the best time to do it in our area.

Also, the job is made much easier if you get yourself one of those L.E.D. torches that are worn on a head band and positioned over your forehead (See pic). They only cost about $10 and they leave you with both hands free to hold and pollinate the flower/s.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget to write a tag and tie to each flower as you pollinate it, don't try and commit this info to memory until you are finished or you're sure to forget which was pollinated with what.

All the best, Nev.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Stargazer22

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Bromeliad, orchids, desert rose
Hobbies: Travel, astronomy

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 21:01:58 »

Hi All , Hi Jaga and Nev
Thanks very much for the info, I have been keeping an eye on the buds and watching them rotate, but have yet to see one open, maybe a bit early.
Also have Vriesea "Gulz" in flower and have seen the flower open, but the pollen always seams to be wet??
I will have a look tonight at the hieroglyphica, also does it matter which flower on the infloresence is pollinated, closer to the base, in the middle or at the top?
Thanks again
Cec
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: