Bromeliad Forum
October 20, 2017, 10:51:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcantarea Blok  (Read 789 times)
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Bromeliad, orchids, desert rose
Hobbies: Travel, astronomy

« on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:42 »

Hi All
First of all the seasons greetings to everyone, hoping you all have a wonderful and safe christmas and a great 2015.
I have Alcantarea "Blok" in flower, I bought this plant as "Blockii" about four years ago ;
I have attached a few photos, but it looks like a bigger geniculata, "Grace Goode".
The plant itself looks like a smaller braziliana
Thanks for looking
Cec
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 20:20:13 »

Hi everyone - May you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and get lots and lots of brom's for gifts during the festive season.

Cec - Thanks for posting the pic's of your Alcantarea, but can you re-post them so they are bigger?

At this size it's hard for old farts like me with poor eyesight to see the finer detail. Usually when I click on the smaller images they enlarge to the size of the screen but in this case they are only a tad larger than the smaller images I clicked on.

I hope it's a problem with the picture size and not my computer starting to play up again.

All the best, Nev.

Premium Advert
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 21:19:14 »

Hi All
Sorry about that, have added attached photo's at a larger size, the forum will not let me post larger size than this, if anyone knows how please let me know
Thanks
Cec
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:45:53 »

Hi there Cec, some good images there, must be Alc flowering season in your area. By using a photo storage online site such as 'Photo bucket' which is free you can upload at full res to there then simply copy and paste to this site.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 20:14:10 »

Hi everyone.

Cec - Thanks for re-posting your pic's; I can now see all the detail in the flowers. I'm not an Alcantarea grower but I'll show the pic's to my Alc. growing friend and see what he thinks and get back to you.

As for the picture size, as Jaga says you can use a storage online site such as 'Photo bucket' (which a lot of us used on the original Bromeliad site of the Garden Web Forums), however I haven't found it necessary here.

I'm certainly no computer "Whiz Kid" but I find it simple to just load my pic's direct from the "My Pictures" file on my computer using the "Postimage.org" site provided here. Where it provides the option of resizing, I just select 15" Monitor, tick the "Family Safe" option and just upload them. (15" monitor suits my monitor but I could select a larger size if I so wished).

They will appear as just small "thumb size" images initially, but when you click on them they will enlarge to a reasonable size.

I also have the option of using Photo Bucket, but I find the site provided here takes less time, and saves changing between two different programmes. After all, it only requires another click of the mouse to enlarge the pictures anyway.

All the best, Nev.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 20:02:11 »

Hi everyone.

Cec - I got in touch with my friend about your plant and it seems it has a very complicated and interesting history.

I sent him what you wrote and your pic's and this is what he sent back:

"Hi Nev ,

re:- Blok

Yes I know the whole story of this one. Goes back a long way. If Cec wants more he can contact me directly. This is the tail end. John Catlan has two different plants of A. blokii. Arno put me on to this. One must be the dog's body of the Alcantarea genus and the other was nearly the crown jewel. Derek tried to get rid of its prehistory V, blackii, A. Blockii, V, blackii and I
think A. nevaresii. The latter two names were rubbish. I'm going back too far.

Derek tried to right all by giving it a cultivar name so he called it A.'Blok' but he did not know there were two different clones at John Catlan's. The JG code given for the mongrel A. 'Blok' is not 72892 as published but 28096 so Derek has it wrong . Cec's plant is actually JG72892 the beautiful form. It has no Imperialis ex Brasiliensis, come Whyanbeel what ever in its make up. Mine has not flowered yet but I will give it the once over then. Expecting it to just be a very good form of A. geniculata.

Please pass this on. I have his address I am sure but can't remember sir name."

I hope this all helps to add to the info known about this plant.

All the best, Nev.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 21:17:26 »

Hi All
Thanks for your input, I obtained 4 plants from John Catlan, this is the first to flower, and the plant resembles a smaller version of braziliana.
To me it looks like an overgrown geniculata, but does not clump like geniculata does. It does not have any pups on it either??
The other plants are smaller and look to have thinner leaves, and thier label only has "blockii" on it, maybe they are the "dog". will have to wait till they flower.
It is a very nice addition to the garden.
Thanks all
Cec

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: