Bromeliad Forum
October 21, 2017, 04:59:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to cause this?  (Read 529 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« on: October 09, 2014, 07:51:55 »

Hi everyone.

Today I posted this same question on the Species Section of Face Book to see what (if any) answers I got.

I have a bit of a puzzle; some years ago I bought a plant of Ae weilbachii forma pendula. It has since produced pups as you would expect but last year it produced two pups at the same time which were completely different to any seen previously as they both had a coloured centres.

When they were large enough to remove (and had roots) about three months back, I took them off and re-potted in the normal way, and shortly after, I was disappointed to find the coloured centres started to fade until now they're back to the normal green colour of the parent.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

All the best, Nev.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:52:28 »

Nev did you use much fertiliser when repotting?
Are they in the same spot that they were before potting up. Maybe need more sun.
Other than those 2 things I have no idea.

Save water, shower with a friend.
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:08 »

Looking at the growth and colouration it was a sudden event that lasted a while, so I concur with the fertiliser suggestion or perhaps a chemical stimulant (ethylene or even a benzine type reaction) but in a weak form. Did somebody spill some beer on that?

Conrad
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 23:13:47 »

Hi everyone.

Sunshine - They got exactly the same treatment as I give all my pups when I pot them, 5gm of Brunnings Rose Food per 5" pot. After a couple of days in among the Vrieseas they were returned to where the Mother was grown under 50% green shade cloth. I find that any more light than this I get leaf tip die back.

Conrad - There were no other chemicals used, as apart from a little fertiliser, I don't stuff with Mother Nature......and NO! I didn't spill my beer on it either. The Mother plant did get a bit of Seasol throughout the year, but so did every other plant in the yard, including my other Ae. weilbachii pendula plants.

This is the Brunnings Rose Food I use and have done so for some years with good results. On rare occasions when it's on special you can sometimes get it for as little as $4 per 5kg. and when you're on a pension every little bit you save helps.

Please
register or login

This is the chemical analysis and because the Nitrogen is lower than the Potassium, it doesn't rob the colour from the foliage of Neo's or Bill's and turn them green like the high Nitrogen fertilisers do........... It works for me.

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
chefofthebush

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 19:15:17 »

Nev. I wonder if you would be able to duplicate the result? But if it wasn't chemical, then it has to be environmental. Temperature or light duration / intensity , or a combination thereof, could have played a part. I have had the monkeys here almost kill some plants with urine, perhaps a helpful frog?

Nev, keep us informed on weather the colouring stays, fades or the plant goes into flowering.

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 20:40:12 »

Conrad - As mentioned above; "When they were large enough to remove (and had roots) about three months back, I took them off and re-potted in the normal way, and shortly after, I was disappointed to find the coloured centres started to fade until now they're back to the normal green colour of the parent."

All the best, Nev.
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 22:20:51 »

I haven't seen it before on weilbachii Nev, though the weilbachii I have does appear to have some red/orange type coloration in it, but it certainly doesn't show up like your pics as a central colour change. Maybe it was a just temperature or stress induced thing when the pups emerged - perhaps wrong time of the year for the plant or they weren't being fed properly from mum for some reason ? ...Now they've grown out of it, got their own food supply going and reverted back to normal, would be my guess ?
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 12:52:59 »

You can see the colour was right down to the base of the plant.

Save water, shower with a friend.
chefofthebush

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 17:47:56 »

Thanks Nev. It would help putting the glasses on when reading. I just normally use them as paperweights!.

Conrad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: