Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 14:47:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: for the Tillandsia crowd  (Read 457 times)
gonzer

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« on: August 17, 2014, 23:00:41 »

I obtained this hybrid from John Arden years ago with the tag simply stating "T. concolor hybrid". He had forgotten who the other parent was but I'm pretty sure after this that it's T. flabellata. Whataya think? 6 inch pot.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:50:16 »

Hi everyone.

Gonz - Although I'm not strictly speaking a Tillandsia grower, I do have a few plants given to me by friends, two of which are Till. flabellata one is a green leaf form and the other a red leaf form. They both produce similar inflorescences which look very similar to those displayed on your plant except mine only produce them one at a time as the plants aren't large like yours.

Anyway, the drought has broken here and it's been pouring down for two days now and I can't do anything outside, so just out of curiosity I thought I'd try my hand at a bit of detective work, starting with the BCR just to see how many hybrids have been made firstly with Till. flabelatta and then Till.flabelatta crossed with Tillandsia concolor.

At this stage out of all the hybrids made with Till. concolor there are only four that look anything like your plant and of that four there was one in particular that looked like a possible. However, just as I was getting my hopes up, I found that it wasn't a John Arden hybrid anyway, but an Australian hybrid made by Margaret Patterson.

It's now after lunch and as I come back to the computer to do some double checking, I find I can't open the BCR and instead I'm being shown the following message: 

MySQL connectie met host() is mislukt

Does anyone know what it means?

(To be continued)

All the best, Nev.
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:40:41 »

MySQL connectie met host() is mislukt =  ( roughly translated) connection with host lost (failed)!

Yup Goz, looks like flabellata. one regestered cross with concolor/flabellata called Tillandsia 'Cooloola'. a cross by Patterson. Looks similar. Part of the grex or the hybrid itself?

I have two flabellata coming into flower now...will make some crosses there. Looks like they will be very interesting! I can see the concolor leaf shape.

Conrad
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:54:44 by chefofthebush » Logged
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:02 »

Hi everyone - Back again at last, but it looks like Conrad's beaten me to the punch.

After I got back on the BCR and did some double checking, it seems like Till. ‘Cooloola’ is the only registered cross with both concolor and flabellata in the formula.

See it at: http://registry.bsi.org/index.php?fields=Parents&id=8038&search=concolor

All the best, Nev.
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43:10 »

Nev, sometimes the BCR goes down and you'll get that message for a wee while, maybe it's for updating or cleaning the cobwebs out ?
gonzer

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 13:33:29 »

You folks always have the coolest names for hybrids!

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:32 »

Hi Gonzer

Cooloola is an aboriginal name for a region north of Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. White sandy beaches and subtropical forest. Very nice place to kick back and spend some time. Margaret Patterson used a lot of locality names from around her region for her Tillandsia Hybrids. If you had time punch them into Google Earth along with Queensland as the state and you see where they all are.

cheers Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: