Bromeliad Forum
December 11, 2017, 13:58:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Varigated Alcantarea's  (Read 565 times)
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Bromeliad, orchids, desert rose
Hobbies: Travel, astronomy

« on: August 16, 2014, 05:12:56 »

Hi all
In October 2013 I sowed a heap of trays of Alcantarea seed from plants that flowered the prevoius year
Most of these seeds germinated and are about 35mm (one and a half inches) high.
On closer inspection of the trays of Glaziouana found five to have some varigation, ranging from white to yellow makings.
As I was sure I did not have any varigated plants in my collection, had a closer look at Glaziouana and found slight varigation on the outside of the leaf.
None of the trays of Glaziouana crosses, are showing any varigation.
Wouls anyone know if this varigation will stay with the plant to it matures?
Will more plants show varigation as they get older?
Has anyone else had varigated seedlings appearing?
Have attached a few photos.
Thanks in advance for your interest and replies
Cec
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:04:13 »

Hi everyone.

Cec - They're certainly a fertile lot of seeds you've sown, and what a germination rate you got. I personally don't know a lot about Alcantareas except that I've seen some extraordinary prices paid for variegated plants on eBay just a while back.

I do however have a couple of questions; firstly, is the albo-marginated plant in the first pic the plant the seeds came from? If so it contradicts everything I've ever read about using albo-marginated plants as a seed parent, because it's commonly accepted that a very high percentage of the seedlings will be albino and die within a few weeks anyway.

Secondly; did you make any of the crosses or were they all done by Mother Nature i.e. birds and insects, also do you have any neighbours who are growing alcantareas (perhaps even a variegated one)

Thirdly - You say initially, "On closer inspection of the trays of Glaziouana found five to have some variegation, ranging from white to yellow makings. but further down you say,"None of the trays of Glaziouana crosses, are showing any variegation."

Do you mean that none of the trays of Glaziouana crosses, are showing any more variegated plants apart from the first five you found?

I have found with Neo's sometimes variegation will show when they are quite small, however some fade back to green as they mature. I've also found that if variegation isn't showing by the time they are about 1" high, it isn't going to show at all.

Can you show a picture of the whole albo-marginated plant for us all to drool over?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

All the best, Nev.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 09:29:50 »

Hi Cec always exciting to find some variegated plants. From what I understand is it is a percentage game with Alcs. eg sow all the seed and you may just get a few and I think if I understand what you a are saying is you have noticed 5 among your seedlings at this stage ? which seems quite possible to me and may have absolutely nothing to do with finding some edge (albo marginated) variegation on the Mum. I know of a lucky person in NZ who found 2 fully variegated Alc among a huge batch of seedlings , these plants have since thrown fully variegated pups. In your case you will just have to wait it out. I have seen by far the majority end up variegated on a few leaves and then if your game you can spike the plant to force pup it in the attempt to get a pup off the variegated part of the Mum. part of the trick here is to remove all nonvariegated leaves below the hopefully at least one variegated leave then with some luck? to achieve a stable variegated pup. I have never done this so thats about all I know except there is quite a risk of killing the mum and getting no pups sadly, this also goes for vriesea's I believe.

Nev, I agree on Neo Albo margination if you take into account the few I curiously tried as all the germination ended with the white seedlings dying out, leaving only the green ones but some Neo that look albo marginated acturally have a microscopic green edge but if that was the above case with the Alc I would have expected a much bigger percentage of variegated seedlings.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:37:12 »

Hi Splinter/Jaga
Thanks for your input.
Nev
The first picture is a photo of a plant that I bought at the same time as the seed parent, I have checked the pups of the seed parents, and the same variegation is on the older leaves.
I did a heap of crosses when a lot of different "Alc" were in flower two years ago, non of the crosses I did show any variegation as yet, the two trays with the variegation were selfed by mother bature, birds and bees.
The plants are not big enough to pot out as yet, will probably be November brfore they are potted into two inch tubes.
Have attached a couple more photos of seedling trays, both done by mother nature. first one is Alcantarea Extensa "Passion" and the second one is Alcantarea Heloisea.
I will post some pictures of the variegated when they are potted up.
 From a very wet SE Queensland after nearly 35mm of rain yesterday and over night, thanks for looking and adding to the conversation
All the best
Cec
Please
register or login

Please
register or login
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:30:29 »

Hi Cec - What is the name of the albo-marginated plant you bought at the same time as you bought the seed parent?

Finally, all I'd like to add is, cull, cull, cull or buy a large farm where you can grow them all to maturity.

All the bet, Nev.
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:38:35 »

Hi Nev
All the plants with variegation are Glaziouana, yes and I will need a large farm, will cull when I pot on, what a decision??? anyone interested in some very cheap plants
Thanks again Nev for your input
Cec
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:59:54 »

Hi Cec

I grew lots of glaziouana seedlings and ended up with a few variegates. If you can see stripes at 3-5 leaves generally you will be able grow them into variegated plants. Best to either flower them or screwdriver them to produce pups and generally you will get better stable variegates. A. glaziouana tends to throw proportionately lots more variegated seedlings than any other sp. I was lucky to get a var. extensa once upon a time.
Good to see someone else getting striped babies, well done.

cheers Bruce
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 07:52:51 »

Hi Bruce
Thanks for your input, since I found these few variegates I have check all the other trays and plants that I have potted on, and no other stripes.
Do you know if the seed from a variegate, is going to be variegated, or a percentage?
I have read else where about "being Stable", is this referring to the pups or the seed, or does the variegate sometimes disappear,
Thanks again
All the best
Cec
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 02:32:37 »

Hi everyone.

Bruce - It's good to see you getting into the discussion as it's always of more value when people become involved who have "been there and done that".

I'm sure any information you can pass on would be most welcome, especially about "screwdrivering". I have read about this but have never done it but I'd still to be interested to hear about it in more detail.

Usually it's just mentioned in passing as "stabbing or "screwdrivring" etc. but never much in the way of details, and a "step by step" description would be great if you could share one with us.

Thanks for your input

All the best, Nev.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: