Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:19:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visitors  (Read 477 times)
Reginaldo

Brazil Brazil

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, cacti

« on: July 30, 2014, 02:27:01 »

Hummingbirds are important pollinators of dyckias flowers

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:36:30 by Reginaldo » Logged
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 00:01:53 »

Simply amazing!!, fantastic to see them in action. Perfect images that must be very difficult to get considering the birds wing speed! Would love to see some more.....?
Thanks for sharing these Reg.
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:33:31 »

Great photography.

Save water, shower with a friend.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:49:11 »

Terrific natural nature pic's Reginaldo. I find these little birds fascinating, and although we have a close relative to them called a "Sunbird" here in northern parts of Australia; where I live on the south coast, our smallest nectar eater and pollinator is called the New Holland Honey Eater. These visit my yard frequently and nest and rare their young every year.

Please keep your great pictures coming

All the best, Nev.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 00:59:42 »

Hi All, just remembered I managed to take a picture of the Tui bird, which is a native to New Zealand that would be about the only bird here I have seen taking nectar from Bromelaids, in this case its the Flower belonging to a Vriesea philipo coburgii clump we have high up in a tree. Have also seen them into the Alc flowers. Also have been forced to digitally adjust this image as was quite dark to start.

Please
register or login

Here's a view of the plant clump. Started out as 1 lone plant about 10 years back. Was inspired at the time by seeing images of how they grow in the wild and this one seems to be very happy in this location.

Please
register or login

Reginaldo

Brazil Brazil

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:18:10 »

Nev and Jaga, here also we have another bird that visits the flowers of Dyckias (like the sunbird), but it is not a good pollinator, they often damage the flower.
Some species of native bees (stingless) also are good pollinators of Dyckias. In the photos below we can see the pollen retained on the legs of these bees

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:39:05 »

Really fantastic images there Reg!! right down to the pollen. Got to ask what camera are you using ? mines just a point and shot model so its a tuff ask to get a good close up like like this. As with your comment above the 'Tui' bird has a long spear like beak and does pollenate the flowers, it can not hover mid air like the humming bird, as you can see from the pic but does have the ability to hang upside if require using the flower stem or tree branch as support.
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 08:24:43 »

Reginaldo. Thank You! It is exactly what this forum is about. I travel through your eyes and camera to places and experiences I would never easily get to.

That type of observation and informasione se moi importante para mi! ( oh PS i am learning Spanish for the day I get down to South America!) Small detail to the type of insects, even the damage they do, is helping us better understand these fascinating plants and their role in the world.

Thanks again Reginaldo and keep on sending those reports and good pictures!

Best wishes,

Conrad
Reginaldo

Brazil Brazil

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 03:57:14 »

Jaga, these photos were also taken with a point and shot camera, but placed in "program" mode, which allows some adjustments in focus and exposure.
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 07:51:57 »

Ok better try that, thanks Reg.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 23:39:39 »

Hi everyone.

It seems with the aids of modern technology we don't all have to be expert photographers after all, which suits me fine. My youngest son is a professional photographer and always got so frustrated with my feeble efforts to take pic's of various objects (mainly plants); in the end he bought me a little digital camera which he said was a P.H.S. model (Press here stupid) camera, and no more trips to the chemist to have films developed and I can now get reasonable pic's as well. I'm still no photographer, but now get better results than previously.

I can still appreciate the quality and detail in the pic's that you blokes take though, and that's a great example of a magnificent clump of Vriesea philipo coburgii in your pic. Jaga as well as the pic of the Tui bird doing his balancing act.

Reginaldo - The detail in your pic's is no less impressive with your capturing of the little sting-less bees "doing their stuff' on the flowers, and even a close-up of the pollen.... amazing stuff.

All I can say is for all of you to please keep up the good work as I for one certainly don't mind being bombarded with pictures of this quality.

All the best, Nev
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: