Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 14:48:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: carminea "Dennis"  (Read 292 times)
Robin

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Bulbous Plants, Caudiciforms, Ferns, Aquatics, some Succulents (mostly stapeliads)
Hobbies: Angling, Botanising

« on: June 30, 2014, 11:28:55 »

I'm not sure iof I posted on this one before (and too darn lazy to check  Tongue)

Having moved (again!) and now finally settled and decided that this is the house we want to live in until we are decrepit, I have been moving my Tillandsia collection in from my buddy's nursery (luckily only 300m down the road).  I have a beautiful 3m high stone wall between our property and the neighbour upslope of us.  Part of it is dressed stone and the rest if a dry pack stone and rock wall.  I have been moving the lithophyic taxa onto these walls (I will post pics at a later date of the new growing areas).

One of them is carminea "Dennis".  It bloomed a while back but I never got to check it out properly.  Since then the clumps have proliferated and I have them on my dressed stone wall.  One is busy flowering and I can finally lay my mind to rest as to its most-likely identity: araujei var minima x tenuifolia var saxicola.  The inflorescence is somewhere between the two - as compact as araijei minima but the colour of tenuifolia saxicola - and about mid-length between them as well.

There are two variations - one has the compact growth of araujei minima - this is the "true" phenotype - check here: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/Brom/ident/reply19.htm

My plants do however have larger inflorescences.  The other variant has the look of a non-caulescent tenuifolia saxicola.  The giveaway is the keel on the leaves - that it gets from araujei minima.

I may be wrong with tenuifolia saxicola - it might be another lithicolous tenuifolia variant that is involved but basically it is an araujei minima x tenuifolia - or the other way around - I cant say for sure who the pollen or seed parent was.

Cheers

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:43:36 »

Hi everyone.

Robin - I'm not a Tillandsia grower so aren't qualified to discus these plants, but I can say how good it is to see you posting and helping to re-establish our past number of active members.

All the best, Nev.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: