Bromeliad Forum
September 23, 2017, 22:04:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billbergia zebrina in the habitat  (Read 2487 times)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 05:24:48 »

Reginaldo from what you say above my understanding is that this is in its natural habitat so surely the developing seed must be from a different Bill ?. It has occurred to me that it may be worth collecting some of the seed if your allowed and growing some to see what you get.

Thanks for the update its neat to see this in flower.

Jaga
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 06:59:23 »

Great pics Reginaldo, thanks for sharing again.

Hi Nev, I really like your pale Ae. pineliana. Has it always been that colour ? How big is it ? Looks like it's been grown in very high light/sun, so should theoretically be more pink/crimson ? Do you think it's a different clone maybe to the normal pinker one ?
Kayleen C

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Natives, tropicals

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 13:14:09 »

maybe it's a particular insect or small bird in habitat that isn't in your home growing area that's responsible for the pollination.

They were my thoughts also.

Save water, shower with a friend.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 23:02:57 »

Hi everyone.

Graykiwi - That particular Ae pineliana minuta is one of three clones I have which are all different. One is the standard size Ae. pineliana which is growing in the front garden fully exposed to the elements, and the other two (including that one) are the smaller Ae. pineliana minuta. One is more of a greyish/pink colour and not very attractive, in fact I don’t even remember if I still have it as it never appealed to me much and as I’m short of space I may have since given it away.

That one in the picture came from a good friend who has since passed away and it has always been that nice pale pink colour. It is growing hanging from a shade cloth roofed area but where it is in the front, is exposed to full sun for most of the day. My friend showed me a picture of the parent plant from which my plant came and it was growing in Far North Queensland on the roof of an old corrugated iron garden shed which it had completely covered and was a truly magnificent sight.

That one in the picture appears a bit more bleached than usual as the picture was taken a couple of weeks after our 2008 January heat waves which cooked a lot of garden plants.
This particular clone seems to have much more of the natural white scurf which isn’t as abundant on the other clones I have and this adds to the paler than normal colour.

I took that picture to illustrate an article I once wrote about how well these plants can withstand strong sun without burning; and then, like now, was encouraging everyone to grow at least one in their collections.

I have “selfed” this plant several times, but always without a successful outcome which makes me wonder if this is maybe a sterile clone. When I was first given it, I was told to “grow it hard and don’t feed it to get the best colour” and that’s exactly what I have done. Size wise, I have never actually measured it but as a guess I would say about eight inches high, and that’s about all I can tell you about it.

All the best, Nev.
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 14:26:28 »

Thanks Nev, interesting
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: