Bromeliad Forum
September 20, 2017, 18:19:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's see some pictures  (Read 32712 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2015, 23:47:37 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad - I hear what you're saying, but this post was started 14 months ago and has been viewed over 12,000 times yet all comments and new posts have been by just a handful of regulars (usually just four of us) - I'm just about over it.

Getting busy preparing for our annual show next month and we are holding a workshop tomorrow to give advise and demo's on preparing plants for showing the hope of encouraging some of our newer members to get involved as a lot of us are "old farts" like me and are getting too old for all the preparatory work.

One of our lady members has taken some of my old pic's and used them to make up advertising posters for our show as she says people will be more attracted to advertising if it has coloured pictures rather than just print alone, what do you think?

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #421 on: August 15, 2015, 14:31:28 »

All the best Nev. Hope you have a great show.

I see what you meant about the navigation on the OTHER site. Very challenging. Germinating seed is easier.... almost!

Great posters for the show. Do I see some of your plants Pics there, Nev?

I am still trying to round up enough interested people in Durban to start our own Bromeliad Club/Society. It is definitely not a "one man job"!
I would really like to get one going to boost interest and to assist the keen gardener in proper care and maintenance of their plants. Between working, my own plants and social community work, there is not too much time to slot in such a project on my own. If anyone reading this in Durban is keen to assist, please do not hesitate to contact me! We also could be having the fun Nev is having!

Best wishes,

Conrad

Premium Advert
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2015, 00:15:02 »

Hi everyone - Well our workshop yesterday on the preparation of plants for showing was well supported with about fifteen members attending which was  more than expected as it was a pretty cold day. In the morning, I demonstrated how I go about preparing a plant for exhibiting and pointed out some of the simple yet less obvious things that judges sometimes look for.

This was followed by another member who explained the interpretation of the show schedule and answered any questions from new exhibitors who weren't clear on what was required. Show schedules, posters and entry forms as well as a list of how the judges allocate point were distributed among attending members.

This was followed after lunch by members practicing plant preparation on a plant they had brought in for the purpose, as well a session on Questions and Answers about growing bromeliads, which is always a popular feature of these workshops.

Conrad - Keep up the good work spreading the word among your fellow brom growers in your attempt to start a group, society, club or whatever else you choose to call it; just remember, "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day" and most large societies once stared as just a small group of interested growers.

Yes those plant pic's on the posters were some of mine and surprisingly the one I put in as an "after thought" and which was the most common brom of the lot, proved the most popular and that was the picture of the Bill. pyramidalis flowers.

Although not exactly my "cup of tea", I must share with you all, a picture of a magnificent specimen of Deuterocohnia brevifolia grown by a friend of mine.

Deuterocohnia brevifolia

Please
register or login

Also, my mention above of Bill. Pyramidalis flowers, prompts me to show a pic of hybrid bred from Bill pyramidalis x Bill. 'Windigig Special'. It was bred by Allan Ladd of Northern NSW and although the plant in the picture looks a bit rough and doesn't do the plant justice, when well grown the dark underside of the foliage really makes it an attractive plant.

Bill pyramidalis x Bill. 'Windigig Special'.

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #423 on: August 16, 2015, 19:04:24 »

Thanks for sharing those pictures and the summery of your talk. I have a suggestion for you, Nev. How about recording your talks on video and then posting those on the forum. I, personally, would love to see how you professionals prepare their plants for show. Could you also tell us of what criteria are looked at when a Brom is judged at a show. And lastly are these any pre show fertilization and grooming programs that are applied to Broms?

Best Wishes,

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2015, 01:01:21 »

Hi everyone.

Conrad - Let me just nip your suggestion in the bud right from the start; because firstly, I don't have a video camera and secondly I wouldn't know how to use one or how to go about posting a video on this forum because I'm afraid that sort of technology has left me far behind. I mean, I don't even own a mobile phone and what's more I don't want one.

Secondly, let me say that my talk on preparing a plant for showing is purely and simply based on how I do it, and as an amateur I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else how they should do it as there are many more knowledgeable growers and exhibitors around who could do that far better than I. I just pass on to others what I've learned, and the tips I've been given by others since I started showing so they can avoid some of the early mistakes I made.

As an example, in my first show I entered a Neoregelia which I spent a lot of time over and had it so clean you could eat it. As I looked at it I decided it needed a "finishing touch" so I covered the potting mix with some "Old Man's Whiskers" as a mulch taking care to tuck it in neatly around the edges to make it look more attractive. I must say it looked like a "million dollars" and I went off to the show fully confident I was going to "clean up" in the Novice Neoregelia Section. What a shock I got when the next afternoon I was informed that my plant had been disqualified.

The reason was something I had never thought through properly as the schedule described the class as: Neoregelia - individual specimen plant, and because I had dressed the pot with the "Old Man's Whiskers" (Tillandsia usneoides) I had in fact put a second bromeliad in the pot and it was no longer an individual specimen plant.................... I'm very pleased to add here that I've been able to stop others making the same mistake on several occasions since.

Below is one of the many "cheat sheets" or “guides” which outline the main points judges look for. We have seen several different ones over the years and they all vary slightly because judges also vary in their tastes and interpretation of the rules. The main thing to remember is that THE JUDGES DECISION IS FINAL! If you're not prepared to accept their deision, don't enter your plants in shows, it's as simple as that.

As well as what is on the sheet, there are other minor points easily overlooked and not mentioned on the list but which could also come into the equation. If for instance two plants were equal in points and "neck and neck", and one had a dirty name label which was faded and illegible and the other had a new label clearly written and easy to read, that may just be sufficient to swing the result in favour of the plant with the clean label.

Another little thing is the cleanliness of the pot, and although it's mentioned on the list, the list doesn't mention that some plastic pots with a "lip" on the rim to accommodate hangers is also a good place for small spiders and their webs to be found. It's just little thing but something (especially the small spiders) the judges look for as they can disqualify a plant exhibiting signs of disease or insect pests.

If I’m selecting a plant for showing I approach it as something I want to sell, in which case I want it looking as good as it possibly can; after all, aren’t we trying to “sell” the plant to the judges?

Finally, my comments above are based on what I've found with judges who judge our local shows and they will probably be much different to what judges in other countries look for.

Please
register or login

As an example, this plant of Neoregelia 'Rosella'  is a typical plant prepared for showing at our local show and won first place in the Open Neoregelia class in 2011

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #425 on: August 19, 2015, 07:55:55 »

Yes Nev the judging is pretty tuff here in NZ, using BSI rules, none of my plants make the grade Im afraid, just 1 mark on the leaf and its out. Then there is plant shape colour + just no normal plant is good enough, it must be quite rare to stand any chance. I have been questioned why I dont enter? after every years event but just to participate means days of washing out a pile of plants that you know has near no chance against all the hot house grown plants in the competition which are normally very rare imports. My Wife did win 1st prize some years back now for some oil paintings she did of vriesea's. I have in the past managed the odd 2nd and 3rds.

I think those Deuterocohnia brevifolia make excellent garden features, especially when they get to a big size like you show above, so well done that friend of yours Nev.

Posters look very impressive Nev. Good luck with the show, take some images so we can all see.

Cheers Jaga
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #426 on: November 18, 2015, 19:49:13 »

Hi everyone.

It seems the members on this forum are posting less and less, and we all know people like looking at pictures so I thought I'd "stoke the fire" a bit on this old post to try and resurrect a bit more participation.

Edmundoa Brazil

Please
register or login

Aechmea fasciata (Spineles)

Please
register or login

Ae. fasciata (Rubra)

Please
register or login

Ae fasciata (Variegated)

Please
register or login

Neo. kautskyi

Please
register or login

Nidularium 'Litmus'

Please
register or login

Neo. 'Meyendorffii' (Red form)

Please
register or login

Nidularium 'Nana'

Please
register or login

xNiduregelia 'Ruby Ryde'

Please
register or login

Aechmea nudicaulis 'Costa Rica'

Please
register or login

Nidularium 'Orange Bract'

Please
register or login

Aechmea orlandiana 'Touch-a-Pink' (Unreg.)

Please
register or login

Aechmea pectinata

Please
register or login

Neoregelia 'Small World'

Please
register or login

Neoregelia 'Thunderbird' x 'Painted Lady'