Bromeliad Forum
October 20, 2017, 10:48:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identification  (Read 674 times)
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Bromeliad, orchids, desert rose
Hobbies: Travel, astronomy

« on: May 24, 2014, 08:07:21 »

Hi All
My first post to the forum.
My collection of alcantarea's has a lot in it that I am sure are misnamed.
I have attached a photo of part of the flowering Alc's.
The following is the labels on the plants from the left
heloisea, glaziouana, glaziouana and brasilliana.
I am happy with the last three names, but am sure the first is not heloisea.
The plant was bought with a few others all supposedly heloisea, but I did find in one pot the label imperialis "green"
I have other photos that I will post of different Alc's
Thanks, any information would be greatly appreciated
Stargazer22
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 19:54:37 »

That pic is a bit too small to be of much use. Can you post something bigger?

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Premium Advert
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 22:22:11 »

Hi 378
Will try a larger phot
Thanks
Please
register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 23:20:45 »

Hi everyone

Stargazer22 - I don't grow alcantareas myself but I can still appreciate well grown plants and yours seem to fit this category.

The picture you attached in your second post is the size we need for identification purposes. Also, a "close up" of an open flower would help enormously; and I'm sure if you can provide that, along with the history you have already given, I could probably get my friend to identify it for you.

All the best, Nev
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 00:52:18 »

Hi Nev
Thanks for your reply, I have inserted larger picture
I don't have a picture of the actual flower, but it is yellow, the plant grows with leaves pointing up, the edge of the leaf has a rustic red tinge, which increases toward the tip, which is nearly solid rustic red.
The flower spike was approx. 2 meters high (The side of the bush house is 2.4meters).
I have attached another couple of photos of a different plant, bought as seedling, named nahoumii. I think it maybe regina, same type of flower stem and flower, plant is very silver with blue tinge to leaves (different to extensa). It is the middle plant of the first photo, the other two photos are of the pup I planted, showing the blue colouration, have discovered it is prone to rot.
 Thankyou again for your help

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 13:31:45 »

Hi Stargazer22, are the petals solid bright canary yellow all over, or dirty yellow/beige with bronzy edges etc ? Your silvery plant in post 3 is different from plant 1 in pic 1...do they both have yellow flowers ?
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:31 »

Hi Graykiwi
Thanks for your reply
The plant in the first post has solid light yellow flowers.
The plant in post three has flowers and grows the same as regina, I am leaning towards it being regina, but it is very blue tinged underneath and around the edges.
I Flowered another plant the same as this, sold to me as edmundoi, but am sure it is the same as post three, but is not as blue tinged , all else the same.
I have seed growing from these, but as they were in flower at the same time and near each other, am I likely to get hybrids?Huh
Thanks for your help
Stargazer22
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 09:09:48 »

Hi Stargazer22 - I passed on your question to my friend who is an authority on Alcantareas and here are his thoughts on the question you posted on 24th May:

"The first one appears to be Alc. heloisae, next two Alc. glaziouana and last one is ex brasiliana which no longer exists. It  is now A. imperialis. I have suggested we name it as A. imperialis ex brasiliana until we get used to the new name.

The heloisae plant looks right, need to see flower head in case someone has grown it from seed and crossed it.

Confuses growers as plant registered as heloisae and on BCR is a depauperated plant grown in Switzerland. Label might have jumped pots. We all know that happens especially after garden visits. It would be an appropriate name for the last one."

Hope this helps

All the best, Nev.
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 09:27:06 »

Hi Nev
Thanks for your help and please thank your friend.
I am now a bit confused, if brazilliana is now imperialis, what is imperialis called??, or are they considered the same species?
Would your friend be able to help with the second lot of photos??
Thanks again, for your help
Stargazer22
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 21:59:10 »

Hi Stargazer22 - I've just received my friends thoughts on your second lot of questions and pictures which are shown below:

"Hi Nev, This is your friends A. nahoumii??. This is the plant I registered as A. 'Passion' (See pic's) and it looks the same. It does differ from extensa a bit but now extensa has been found inland I am quite sure one day it will be a subspecies of extensa.

I am guessing his plant is from a flask I think from NZ. labelled and sold as nahoumii but never ever looking anything like it.

My plant is coded as RSS0939 and it is good to see what it might be like........Thanks.

The green plant looks like A. geniculata. The reddish most likely extensa I have seen pictures of it in flower and appears to be extensa but knowing where it originated from, when mine flowers I will be checking for a hybrid.

The extensa that rots a lot I think is the flasked form from Queensland. Purple spotting in leaves occurs to various degrees in extensas in winter up here. I'm putting my money on this being a striking form so grower should avoid fungus. i.e. good drainage, pot itself not in full afternoon sun (kills roots), no organic fertilizer (feeds fungi), well ventilated etc.Some of above is an educated guess until plants flower. Then I would like flower head and individual flower pictures."

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

That's the best I can do Stargazer and I hope it helps solve your puzzle.

All the best, Nev.
Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 23:06:22 »

Hi Nev
That report from your friend is very comprehensive, and more than I expected.
Please thank him for the effort and time in helping identification
The plant he is calling "Passion" is identical in growth to the photo he has attached with him standing behind it.
I will label it as such and wait for it to flower again. All the plants in flower are grown in a raised garden, in old orchid mix, only receive water from inside orchid house or from rain.
The other plant that flowers the same and is exactly the same, except not as blue tinged, would be from the same batch (probably different as grown from seed)
When these photos were taken , there was eleven plants in flower, in close proximity to meach other. I collected seed from these plants and have it growing.
Question, can I expect to have crosses in the seed collected??, or will they be true to form??.
Thankyou all for your help
Stargazer22
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 05:30:28 »

Hi Stargazer22 - In answer to your last question, my friends says:

"Hi Nev,

Question as to can they cross? Yes they do. I'm not into hybrids. They just cause confusion to me but if I want to grow seed as selfing I cover the lowest branch with a stocking and seal it rather tight to keep ants out. Then I can still fiddle with it through the stocking to make sure it selfs.

I only do this to see if seedlings are variable---hybrid parent?"

All the best, Nev.

Stargazer22

Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 22:48:13 »

Hi All
A couple more Pictures to ponder
Thanks to all the Alc growers who have added their knowledge
Stargazer22
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 23:53:44 »

Hi Stargazer - Thanks for the pic's, but you have plenty of space there for a few more alcantareas yet. Ha! Ha!

All the best, Nev.
Premium Advert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: